Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD 135 f2 - unable to stop down with nex adapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject: Canon FD 135 f2 - unable to stop down with nex adapter Reply with quote

Just got a few lovely Canon FD lenses including 135 f2 FD. What a lens, even wide open it trumps my other 135 (including highly regarded Pentax K135/f2.5).

However, it seems to have bundled with an issue, I can't stop it down. It's stuck at f2. I am using FD-NEX adapter and I have other FD like FD 35/2, 50mm and they all stops-down fine hence this adapter appears to be fine. However, this lens is not one the with silver lock ring like other two and so not sure if it's an adapter or it's something wrong with the lens. Adapter seems to be moving those two FD mount levers fine so adapter likely to be not an issue.

Any idea what could be wrong? I am loving this lens as it is wide open but I need to make it fully working to be really useful.

Thanks
Yusuf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have a canon FD body that you can try it on? might have a stuck open iris, which would be fixable but an easy why to check is attach it to a body and see if it steps down.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I don't have any Canon FD body. Just an adapter.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aperture should be semi-closed if not attached to the adapter. Set the adapter to open position before you mount the lens and set to the lock position after you mount the lens. If it does not work, the lens might have issues.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it doesn't seem to be a common problem online with these lenses, I'm not familiar with FD lenses maybe it has a pin that needs to be engaged for the iris to function.

hopefully someone else can here can help.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some adapters may use ON-OFF instead of OPEN-LOCK.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

As I mentioned, I use the same adapter with other FD lenses and can open/close. Only difference is that those lenses are old FD with silver FD ring and this one is with the new FD mount.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yusuf wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

As I mentioned, I use the same adapter with other FD lenses and can open/close. Only difference is that those lenses are old FD with silver FD ring and this one is with the new FD mount.

New FD lens do not allow adjusting the aperture to full open unless mount on camera. Older FD lens behaves the opposite way.

P.S. I write that for others who are not familiar with the adapter.

Last edited by calvin83 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

New FD lens do not allow adjusting the aperture to full open unless mount on camera. Older FD lens are opposite.

Can you please explain it in more details. Aperture is wide open by default. Are you saying one can't stop down using adapter?

Update: just saw this video and adapter exactly seems to be doing the same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juGX1XyZ6WI

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new FD lens, without attached to a camera or adapter, the aperture will not stay at wide open at any settings. If it is, there is something wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't add any more except that I agree with Calvin and have no issue with mine as long as I use the correct adapter setting. Try buying another adapter for a few bucks and see how that fares.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 things need to happen for the iris to close up,
aperture needs to be set to a smaller setting f8 as an example,
the lenses internal mount needs to be unlocked by depressing the small lever that's at 12:00, then the internal mount may rotate to the locked position,
then the aperture lever needs to pushed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My FD-NEX adaptor has a lever on the side which is used to stop the lens down.

Try to get hold of an FD camera and see. My 135 is also a gorgeous lens - so why do you want to stop it down? I use a ND filter on mine to make sure it stays at f2 Smile

Not as gorgeous as the 85/1.2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility is that the mount was removed for some reason and it wasn't put back together correctly, which is fairly easy to do.