Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My First Leica Lens! Elmarit R 135/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: My First Leica Lens! Elmarit R 135/2.8 Reply with quote

She's had a rough life but her glass is good! Paid $100.

Can anyone clue me into the particulars of this lens?

Adapter will arrive next week and I'll post some samples.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good lens, most 135mm is very good in fact Smile from top maker even better.

Not expensive lens even if looks new. Orio have it , these are his pictures.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/mfl_club_members/orio/leica_r_elmarit_135mm_f2_8/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: My First Leica Lens! Elmarit R 135/2.8 Reply with quote

Kram wrote:
Can anyone clue me into the particulars of this lens?

It's from 1970:
http://www.leicapages.org/

So it should be 2cam, works with open measuring only with SL & SL2:
http://www.apotelyt.com/photo-camera/leica-r-mount

But with adapter on digital it makes no difference.
A 100bucks is no baaaaaaaaargain, but o.k. price.

have fun with it!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had it Smile
It's IQ is about in par or a little better with the famous Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 135/2.8 for C/Y (I had both at the same time), the Leitz has slightly better colors, better build and smoother bokeh but in center sharpness the Zeiss is a tad better (but difference is almost neglitable). Optically I prefered the Leitz mostly due the better bokeh and better colors, but I decided to keep the Zeiss for some time as it's lighter to travel (the Leitz is build like a tank but weights a ton) with and reselling profit was lower.

Once I read an old 135mm test ranking made by Colorfoto from January 1978, the 135/2.8 Sonnar T* was third place, Elmarit-R 135/2.8 first place and Minolta MD Tele Rokkor 135/2.8 (4 element version) between them, all three very close, and two Nikkors, an Canon FD, a Soligor, a Tokina and a Vivitar (last place I think) all quite far behind if I remember correctly.

So it's definately one of the best non-ultra-expensive 135mm you can get! Smile
But as as Attila said, bad 135mm F2.8 and F3.5 are hard to find, for example there are Konicas, Yashicas, etc. which deliver at least similar high level of IQ, but selling sometimes for 10 bucks Smile

I sold mine for 220€ a while ago so you can consider 100 bucks as quite a good price imho, not ultra-bargain and I don't know current price in your country but you can resell with a little profit if you don't like it I guess.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens too. There are two versions, version II is considered to be better wide open, refering to erwin Puts there are no differences stoppped down to F 5.6.
Mine is the older version, delivered with the Leica Flex SL. As duckrider mentioned yours is also the older one. Compared to other 135mm lenses it is a bit on the heavy side but its IQ is surpreme.
I would say it is sharp enough wide open, stopped down a bit it gets razor sharp. It delivers beautyful colors and a very smooth Bokeh.

Timo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the replies, everyone!

You made me even more excited awaiting the adapter. It arrived! I shot a quickie test shot which I'll add soon.
It does seem a bit heavy but not unmanageable.

The MFD is 1.5 meters. Can anyone give me advice on getting an inexpensive extension tube or two? Not sure if they are readily available?

ForenSeil, it makes me very happy that you prefer this lens over the Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 135/2.8 for C/Y as I was contemplating it as well.
The Colorfoto test confirming makes it even better.

Atilla, thanks for sharing Orio's good works.
Smile

Quick sample, wide open on a Canon 60D:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark. The cheapest is EOS tube Click here to see on Ebay. Not the best but should works fine.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can this lens fit on my Canon 60D with a proper adapter ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Mark,I can only assume you will want more Leica lenses now. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yahvel wrote:
Can this lens fit on my Canon 60D with a proper adapter ?

Yes, but I am not sure about infinity focus as I almost never do that.

Calvin, thank you!

Mo, I was afraid to admit it, even to myself but- yes!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of these for a while, nice lens, a bit ugly and utilitarian looking. I felt it was no better than my Topcon RE Auto Topcor 3.5/135 or Konica hexanon 3.2/135 so I let it go for a nice profit. You might like it more than I did, maybe my copy was not so hot.