Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First test with the Canon FD 2.8/24mm SSC - Converted to EF
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: First test with the Canon FD 2.8/24mm SSC - Converted to EF Reply with quote

without retouching

at 2.8

at 5.6

Last edited by francotirador on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Very nice results indeed! Never thought it is possible to convert wide angle FD to EF mount, I've got a new camera instead Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arctures wrote:
Congratulations! Very nice results indeed! Never thought it is possible to convert wide angle FD to EF mount, I've got a new camera instead Very Happy

Thankyou very much.
The ssc version is harder, the new FD much easier. In a Mark II is only possible to use it without touching the mirror up to 0.8 mts. After that, only in live view. Great 3D effect.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

francotirador wrote:
Arctures wrote:

Thankyou very much.
The ssc version is harder, the new FD much easier. In a Mark II is only possible to use it without touching the mirror up to 0.8 mts. After that, only in live view. Great 3D effect.

I have a Canon FD SSC 24 f2.8 converted to EF and the mirror clash can be avoided by disassembling and grinding some millimeters of the upper part of the back element retaining ring and tube.

The right way to do it would be to take out the back element and then grinding with the lens front element facing up, so the debris that enters inside is minimized and can be easily blown afterwards.

Then you can use something like this modelling flat black pen to repaint and avoid reflections.

http://www.ebay.es/itm/Tamiya-89301-XF-1-Flat-Black-Enamel-Paint-Marker-Plastic-Model-Craft-Tools-/350827595332?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item51aef44644

This flat black paint is also good for repainting lenses with black paint separation in some element.

Last edited by rafa1981 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Rafa, you are right.
I'm about to do that, According to what I measured, attained with 0.7 mm

Thank you very much.
Best regards.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For making it work with my camera I needed to grind the retaining ring to almost the maximum that it's possible, leaving just the bare minimum material that doesn't break the ring.

If I remember correctly using the infinity adjustment was no option because of the floating element design.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rafa1981 wrote:
For making it work with my camera I needed to grind the retaining ring to almost the maximum that it's possible, leaving just the bare minimum material that doesn't break the ring.

If I remember correctly using the infinity adjustment was no option because of the floating element design.

Good luck!

What tool did you use for roughing the anilo and tube?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Here is the new toy. Reply with quote

And with focus to infinity almost touch the mirror!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="francotirador"]
rafa1981 wrote:

Good luck!

What tool did you use for roughing the anilo and tube?

Too late, but I used sandpaper.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job, I've been using the NEX-7 and now A7r for my FD lenses... And every other mount.
Works great, having a blast with manual lenses.