Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Looking for an ultrawide
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Looking for an ultrawide Reply with quote

Hey guys,
I am on the hunt for an ultrawide lens for my 6d.
Atm my widest is a 24mm, and sometimes I want to go wider, maybe around 17-20mm.
One problem for me is my small budget.
Any ideas for a lens that is sharp and has a filterthread of 77mm or below?
Thanks in advance
Timo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
-What is your budget? Rolling Eyes and what purpose (interior/landscape/arquitecture)?

From your signature it would be to use in full-frame Canon 6D, so
My suggestions:
- lowest budget : Tokina 17mmf/3.5 or tamron equivalente // "used" Sigma AF 20mm 1.8
- next step: Flektogon 20mm // Zuiko 21mm // Nikkor 20 // Zeiss distagon 18mm
- high: Canon TS-E 17mm f/4 // Canon 16-35 L / Nikkor 14-24mm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the answer,
the Purpose would be mainly landscape, and some (exteriour) architecture.
And I would see my budget in the lower end, that you posted.

Very good range of lenses, thank you Smile

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have a Tokina 3.5/17 with CY mount and in good contion for sale. If you are interested and 150 Euro are in your budget (shipping to germany included).. send me a PM.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always the Samyang 14/2.8 which you can get new and is of great quality.
Since you are using 6D there are many AF choices with Canon mount that are quite reasonably priced compared to the more expensive 16/17-35/2.8 or even the Tokina 16-28/2.8:
- Tamron 17-35/2.8-4
- Tamron 20-40/2.7-3.5
- Tamron 19-35/3.5-4.5
- SIgma 12-24/4.5-5.6
- Tokina 20-35/2.8

Canon and Nikon mounts are among the most common mounts you can find with these lenses, so it's easy to find.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend taking a look at Tamron SP 17mm 51B.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a Sigma 16, didn't like it one bit - too much distortion. Then I tried a Vivitar 17, that was ok but the copy I had was bad and I sent it back. Now I've got the RMC Tokina 17 / 3.5 and I love it, there's so little distortion compared to the Sigma, it's sharp, the colours are good. It's just a very nice lens for the price they fetch.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I tried a Sigma 16, didn't like it one bit - too much distortion. Then I tried a Vivitar 17, that was ok but the copy I had was bad and I sent it back. Now I've got the RMC Tokina 17 / 3.5 and I love it, there's so little distortion compared to the Sigma, it's sharp, the colours are good. It's just a very nice lens for the price they fetch.

+1 on the Tokina 3.5/17

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the Samyang/Bower/Rokinon 14mm

EDI: sorry no filter thread in this lens

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price/performance ratio of the tokina is pretty much unbeatable.
Another one that can be had cheap and is a pretty good performer - even if a bit odd - is the Mir 20/3.5.
I like it very much for landscapes mostly because of its rich colours, but it suffers flare quite a lot. Sharpness looks good enough, but I fear that corners on FF can be quite bad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will think about the Tokina, seems very affordable.
I got the Walimex (Samyang) 14mm in Pentax mount, mounted it on my 6d (although the adapter does not get it straight) and it was to wide and the distorstion was way to heavy, sadly.
Thanks for all the answers, guys
Cheers,
timo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samyang's 10mm rectillenar comes out in a week or so.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've a strange proposal for you : A GoPro Hero3 !
Smaller and lighter than any lens. Very good IQ.
Not cheap, but you'll get an excellent video camcorder too Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old Tokina AF 3.5-4.5/20-35 is very good and cheap, sharp at all apertures.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peleng 17mm f/2.8 may be good for you. I'm using it on my 6D, it's wide and not very fisheye, which is more suitable for most of the situation. The only bad thing is the front petals will leave some vignette on the 4 corners, even though cropping the image a little can solve the problem. It's prize is around $260.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Samyang 10mm is for apsc, so not really interesting on a 6d. The GoPro does not have RAW, and I like myself some viewfinder Wink
To the Penleng: I used the russian Zenitar 16mm an was not really impressed by the images it gave me, even at f8.
So far what I have seen the Tokina seems to be the best bang for the buck.
Sharp at f8, only moderate CA and Distortion. Also the filterthread would be okay, together with a step up ring to 77mm or some gaffatape ( Twisted Evil ), I would be able to use my Filters.

Thanks for all the answers,
Cheers Timo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are willing to use an adapter, you cannot beat the 18mm f/3.5 AIS Nikkor. It is very wide and has the least distortion of any lens in its focal length

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Zenitar is assembled sloppy, if adjust good copy, can be awesome. Tokina is okay in third party race just like Tamron.
I like Nikkor 18mm too from above what you did post already. On Canon I suggest any Nikkor or Olympus OM lens what you can afford in this range, if you can't afford any of them go for Tokina or Tamron. I had most of them , Nikkor 18mm, 20mm, Olympus OM 18mm, Olympus OMN 21mm still with me... and I love much fisheye Konica 15mm and Zodiak 8b my unbeatable wide lenses what I like most.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nikkor would be amazing, but it is just too expensive, as I am on a limited budget. So the Tokina seems to be an okay, from the images I have seen. Maybe not wide open, but at f8 totally fine.
Cheers, and thanks for the tips,
Timo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Tokina RMC in OM-mount. I like it a lot though only used on Olympus OM bodies. I have some pictures taken with this lens on my Flickr account.
Regards Cliff.