Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rokkor MC 50 / 1.4 PG
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Rokkor MC 50 / 1.4 PG Reply with quote

I am thinking about buying this lens . Does anybody has experience with it especially on FF.
How does it compare to others like Planar, SMC, Nikkor etc..?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 50 / 1.4, but it has no lens / group code on it. It's just about my most used lens - I love it. Cool

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the MC Rokkor & MD Rokkor 50mm F1.4 are beautiful lenses. I have both and don't use them as much as I should. I've been using them on micro 4/3, but I will be getting an A7 soon, and these will be on top of the list for this camera. I also have a superb MD 85mm F2, which is very sharp . It also has buttery smooth bokeh.

MC & MD 50mm:
http://www.rokkorfiles.com/Battle%20of%2050s2.htm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one. Only used it on film so far. At 1.4 it has a certain glow to it witch brings the contrast down a notch.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MC 50/1.4 PG is one of the last MC lenses, it's design is much the same as the 58/1.2 and draws much the same way but costs and weighs much less. It's popularity is just behind the 1.2 lens.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow is correct; this is the most celebrated of the Rokkor 50mm lenses. I posted some images recently in the Digital Gallery forum. See here: http://forum.mflenses.com/some-from-my-rokkor-t62782.html I'm emotionally attached to this lens, as you will read.

Here's a sample not in the other post. Was having fun with wide open...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Lightshow is correct; this is the most celebrated of the Rokkor 50mm lenses. I posted some images recently in the Digital Gallery forum. See here: http://forum.mflenses.com/some-from-my-rokkor-t62782.html I'm emotionally attached to this lens, as you will read.

This image is breathtaking. Great shot!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stay away, because once you get it you will fall into madness collecting Minolta manual glass...like me. I got a good copy from my local craigslist. So much better than the Nikon 50mm 1.8D I was using at that point in every way I haven't used the Nikon since. I think if there's one Rokkor to own, the 50MM MC 1.4 is it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks eveybody . I was surprised by the low prices of this lens.
So I 'll go for it and perhaps buy some more Rokkors.
The 45/2 seems interesting too, as "stand alone" lens if you take only one lens with you.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta MC PG Rokkor 50/1.4 is the most interesting standard lens in all Minolta MD lineup AND the best 50mm Minolta MD lens IMO.Rich Leica-like colours,moderate level of micro contrast,that allows shadow details to be more visible,excellent sharpness,superb built quality,long enough focus throw allowing precise focusing and bokeh (I hate this word,so instead:)a very smooth out of focus rendition.Optical construction 7/5.I like them so much that I got three copies Embarassed

It is very good on the NEX5N/7 and the A7,though one needs to stop it to f 5.6 for getting corners perfectly sharp (residual spherical aberrations).If you want utmost IQ,get the MD Rokkor 50/1.4 with 55mm filter thread (two lenses like this are there on my desk).It is the same optical formula with new,improved MD coatings,BUT the OOF blurr is not that interesting.

Other 50/1.4 Minolta MD lenses are superb as well,though I notice (subjectively) some contrast lowering at f1.4 starting from Rokkor 50/1.4 49mm on,where optical formula was changed into 7/6 (I got 2x 50/1.4 MD and 1 plain MD 50/1.4-shame on me,the lens junkie!).Here are some NEX5N+50/1.4 MC PG samples.A7 samples look similar,but I dont have any at hand now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a grubby one for £9, it cleaned up nicely. As someone said a little low in contrast wide open but sharp.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are a few other recent shots, the last four I was playing with bokeh...

Neighbors

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots . nice colours and contrast. I bought one for 45 euros in good conditions. I bought also a 45/2 for 20 euros.
Shapencolour, it is funny , I am in Prague today for busiiness trip.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of nice things to photograph with your MC PG there!.45/2 is no slouch either.At f4 it's brilliant for such a small glass.

This pic was taken last May on a trip.I did't take Zeiss C/Y setup as usual,but only Rokkors (24/2.8 SI,35/1.8HH,50/1.4 PG,85/1.7MC and 135/2.8 PF).Just about right for Prague

Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one of these on a Minolta 303b that I need to sell. Trying to raise funds for a telescope.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that you have the SMC 50/1.4. Any comparison?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, I've never shot with the Minolta (lens or body). I came across it somewhere and it followed me home.

However, the images in this thread (and the linked threads) are making me consider throwing a roll of film in the old girl and taking her out for a spin. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the MD version and love it on APS-C, also wide open, but on FF wide open performance was rather disappointing to me as the sweet spot is small, especially at mid- and far distances. Since I have FF I'm not using it anymore.
Stopped down it's good with both.

I would sell mine if anyone is interested Smile

On APS-C

(F5.6)

(wide open)

On film

(wide open)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
I see that you have the SMC 50/1.4. Any comparison?

I think I prefer the Rokkor's rendering and color, but in reality, they are both nice.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:

Bubble bokeh like a trioplan Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received both lenses, MC 50 1.4 PG and MD 45 2.
After a short try, they look very good one stop down the wide aperture.

MC 50 PG Jpeg , last Friday in Prague , nice colours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad that you got tchem.I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Yesterday - NEX5N+MC PG 50/1.4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sample of MC PG 50/1.4 seems to have a noticeable barrel distortion ( on A7 FF).
Does anybody experience the same problem?

Last edited by memetph on Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
My sample of MC PG 50/1.4 seems to have a noticeable barrel distortion ( on A7 FF).
Does anybody experience wthe same problem?

The lens has 2% barrel distortion, but not noticeable due to its rather straight distortion figure.
A=Spherical aberration, B=astigmatism, C=Distortion; see >

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

通過すること !!
I know it is stupid but I could not resist !

I am travelling currently. I shall post some exemples next week.