Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lentar Snake's belly?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Lentar Snake's belly? Reply with quote

I was always under the impression Lentar lenses are the snake's belly of MF lenses in terms of quality, IOW, lowest of the low.

I do own a few, bought in a moment of weakness and because they are brand new, an inadequate purchase excuse I concede.

However

I ran across this (now closed) auction earlier this week:

Click here to see on Ebay then click "see original listing"

Upon revisiting it today, and noting the "H" prefix in the serial number:

Is it possible this lens, in reality, was made by Tokina??!! Confused

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Lentar Snake's belly? Reply with quote

guardian wrote:

Many Lentars were made by Tokina

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Super Lentar 21mm f3.8 is definitely a Tokina.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Lentar Snake's belly? Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
guardian wrote:

Many Lentars were made by Tokina

Fascinating!

So perhaps not as low in quality as I had supposed? Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No different from Vivitars or Soligors of the time. You'll find Tokinas under the Bushnell name too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokina lenses were no better or worse than other third party brads of the time. I've seen lots of them in various brand names and often with the H prefix. The 2.8/35, 2.8/100 and 4/100 are all common and all are so-so, sharp enough but lacking in contrast and colour saturation so the images are flat and lifeless even if acceptably sharp.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live and learn!!

I had always placed the Lentars a notch or two below the Vivitars and Soligars.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
Live and learn!!

I had always placed the Lentars a notch or two below the Vivitars and Soligars.

Well, with the odd exception, they are all pretty mediocre compared to the contemporary lenses from the major makers.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These were taken with the Bushnell 35mm f2.8, you can find it under Lentar as well. They were from a long time ago, so post processing was minimal, they might have been straight JPGs from the K100D. My only gripe with it is the weird flares due to the circular saw shaped aperture when stopped down.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliott wrote:
These were taken with the Bushnell 35mm f2.8, you can find it under Lentar as well. They were from a long time ago, so post processing was minimal, they might have been straight JPGs from the K100D. My only gripe with it is the weird flares due to the circular saw shaped aperture when stopped down.

Nice job. Very nice photos!

I can report, though, that a good thing about my Lentars is their many-bladed, nearly circular, apertures. But mine are (all three) preset lenses, made back (I believe) in the 1960's when aperture blades were not in such short supply as they later became. Wink