Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

TOKINA SD 400mm 5.6
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: TOKINA SD 400mm 5.6 Reply with quote

same help please
for long time im in search for a 400mm lens (for wild life)
i was looking for sigma apo 400mm 5.6
but i have a chance to buy TOKINA SD 400mm 5.6 for 111€ (with post)
if someone have this lens, i would be very happy if you share yours findings, regarding this lens.
THX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not owned my Tokina SL 400mm SD for long so have only had chance to do some simple tests with it (so I've no real world experience). I found the performance quite poor at f5.6. It's a bit soft and low in contrast but the real killer is the strong green fringing on highlights. It improves dramatically at f8. Contrast and sharpness are now fine but there is still a hint of purple fringing unless the focus is absolutely spot on. This also means out-of-focus areas show some green and purple fringing on high contrast edges. My feeling is that this will not be too intrusive in real world situations. The fringing does improve as one stops down further but is never entirely absent.

This was taken at f5.6

This is a 100% crop at f5.6

This is now at f8. The difference is dramatic

100% crop at f8

There is no doubt the Sigma 400mm APO is a better lens at f5.6, but I think the Tokina is comparable at f8 and smaller apertures. However, I only have copies (3 of them) of the Sigma with the common foggy inner element to compare it with. If you can find a clean copy of the Sigma, that would be the lens to go for.

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably depends on the copy you get. Mine seems to be better wide open. It's doesn't have that much glow, but there is quite abit of fringing and it's not extremely sharp.

Some samples below, shot in the morning sun at about 10m distance and ISO800 to get short times. Subject is the top of a 20m tall tree swaying in the wind. Should be representative if you shoot birds. Shot in raw and converted with default settings (some NR and input sharpening).

Full image @f/5.6:

100% center crop @f/5.6:

Full image @f/8:

100% center crop @f/8:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx Miran and SXR_Mark
i don't now
price for Sigma apo 400mm 5.6 is between 160-220€ and great possibility of cement degradation problem.

and the pictures from Miran are OK for the price of 110€ i think.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dean.peace wrote:
thx Miran and SXR_Mark
i don't now
price for Sigma apo 400mm 5.6 is between 160-220€ and great possibility of cement degradation problem.

What camera do you have ? With not popular mount Sigma can be cheap, mine has FD mount with little fungus I bought for 20 USD only.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
dean.peace wrote:
thx Miran and SXR_Mark
i don't now

What camera do you have ? With not popular mount Sigma can be cheap, mine has FD mount with little fungus I bought for 20 USD only.

uu Shocked
20$ is superb

i have Nex 5n

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep looking with NEX5 N you can use any lens, Sigma APO is lightweight, short and good as or better than any affordable 400mm lens.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't pay that much for the Tokina. Personally, I would hunt around for a used Soligor / Hanimex 400/6.3 preset lens (which IMO is better than the later auto version). I wouldn't pay more than 60 euros for that either.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite 400mm was my Canon FD 400mm f/4.5 until it got stolen. Evil or Very Mad But even so, that lens is well out of your price range. My next favorite would have to be the Tamron 400mm f/4, but that's way out of your price range, too.

You know, there really aren't a whole lot of offerings to choose from if one is looking for a 400mm prime. Being between 300mm and 500mm, it doesn't seem to get the attention that either of these other focal lengths do -- especially 300mm. So an option worth considering would be to go with a good 300mm f/4 and a good 1.4x teleconverter -- which would get you up to a 420mm f/5.6.

Mark, if you look closely at your 100% enlargement at f/5.6, there is a good amount of detail there. It's just got low contrast. Which can often be fixed in post. Same with the green and purple fringing. I have lenses that do this and I am almost always able to remove the color fringing in post.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I wouldn't pay that much for the Tokina. Personally, I would hunt around for a used Soligor / Hanimex 400/6.3 preset lens (which IMO is better than the later auto version). I wouldn't pay more than 60 euros for that either.

+1 better not take any of them rather get closer or crop and use quality 300mm lens.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have the tokina, but it wasn't as good as my smc pentax 400mm F5.6 so I sold it. Its worth $100 though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx for help

i decided not to buy and rather wait for canon fd 400mm 4.5(very rare on ebay-for good price Smile ) or something similar .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am not so sure that the tokina 400/5.6 is so bad as all of you comment here.
i have use it on the nex5n, and results look ok to me. sharp enough for the most, unless you have some lenses that is better.
i will post my result soon.

The nikkor 400/5.6 ed if ais is more expensive, and it would be interesting to see how these perform.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dean.peace wrote:

i decided not to buy and rather wait for canon fd 400mm 4.5(very rare on ebay-for good price Smile ) or something similar .

I can't think of anything similar to the Canon 400mm f/4.5 offhand, except for the Tamron 400mm f/4 I previously mentioned, which tends to be just as uncommon, if not more so. The Canon is an excellent choice and my advice is to get one as soon as you can before the prices go even higher, because they will. In addition to eBay you might want to keep an eye on KEH (keh.com). Often they have the best prices around. Currently, in fact, KEH has a 400mm f/4.5 priced cheap, but it's in UG condition, so I can't recommend it.

The FD 400mm f/4.5 is an outstanding lens. Even though Canon never referred to it as an "L" lens, it does have one low-dispersion element to help control chromatic aberrations. My experience with it is that CA is well controlled, probably non-existent with a film camera. It's also fairly compact, even though it might not appear to be in this photo:

A couple of samples from my much-missed FD 400/4.5, taken with a Canon XS (1000D) and FD-EOS adapter:

I realize you're using a NEX 5n, so FD lenses will work great for you, but even EOS users should note that because the Canon FD 400/4.5 focuses well past infinity, one can use the FD-EOS adapter without the glass element, and still focus out to about 30 meters. So it can be quite useful for closer subjects.

I would still not rule out a good 300mm with a good 2x teleconverter, though. Like a Canon FD 300mm f/4 L or a Nikon 300mm f/4.5 ED. There's a Canon 300mm f/4 L right now on eBay for $150 with one bid and sure to go higher, and a Nikkor 300/4.5 ED, sitting at $350 with no bids.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean, I have the Tokina SD in MD mount and I made a quick real life test (birding distant shot) vs a Nikkor 400/5.6 IF ED, and I got the same Q with the 2 lens. (G1 camera)
I have to go further, but it seems this lens is a keeper!
I also think that your lens has a pb.
I have to test it against the Sigma Apo, a Pentax K, and a nFD 400/4.5.
Sorry Michael, but the nFD has important CA wide open.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phenix jc wrote:
I have to go further, but it seems this lens is a keeper!

+1

On Nex5n, FD mount

Wide open:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-C8i_tG2AB_Y/UTcYP9_4SeI/AAAAAAAAK-A/oVmDIkvgajo/s2047/_DSC3739.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-3ThdDM4F1XM/UTcYQ7-2DNI/AAAAAAAAK-M/alJN7MKAFT4/s2047/_DSC3741.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-0mo0Kv4qcy4/UTcZKVxkt7I/AAAAAAAAK-o/qZZeavvBRMQ/s2047/_DSC3743.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-uPwKYwhDmkQ/UTcYzes5s1I/AAAAAAAAK-c/I0d708hHw9w/s2047/_DSC3744.jpg

f8:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-45Akmw6_sj0/UTcY0LnbfoI/AAAAAAAAK-g/CJVam3j8-0Q/s2047/_DSC3747.jpg

f11:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-mw4BZJUPfHk/UTcZTIKGRFI/AAAAAAAAK-w/SH1TxoXbp4A/s2047/_DSC3748.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-oNorOvNIV_Q/UTcZU-MWGFI/AAAAAAAAK-4/YLsLFzd5mVI/s2047/_DSC3751.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phenix jc wrote:

Sorry Michael, but the nFD has important CA wide open.

Not that I've seen. The above image of the dove was taken at f/4.5. If you look closely, you can see a bit of purple fringing around the dove's beak, which to me is very minor and not at all "important." At any rate, this bit of purple fringing is a one-click fix in the image processing software I use.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tokina may not be the best 400, but for sure among the cheapest.
Image quality is ok. I think copy variation might be an issue.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Tokina 400mm 5.6 Reply with quote

I recently purchased this lens for wildlife photography in mint condition for $180. The quality is amazing for the price. I do have a metering issue with the Tokina 400mm on my Nikon D90 which requires me to unlock the lens partially from the camera and relock every time I turn it on. Apparently you can have the lens sent back to Tokina and re-chipped for something under $100 to solve the problem. The more advanced Nikon cameras (D7000+) don't use the lens autofocus to meter and won't have this problem apparently.

This lens is very sharp when using a tripod or in bright light. 1/400 and above is a good shutter speed handheld. I know there is talk about CA with this lens but I've found even the best Nikon telephoto lenses have CA, especially wide open, and it's easily correctable in post processing. I certainly recommend this lens. I've been doing macro work with a 50mm prime but will have pics from this Tokina up shortly (if it stops raining) on my site: geartechreviews.com/photos

I plan to use this lens for wildlife photography in the near future and will also be acquiring a 1.4 teleconverter. I've head this lens doesn't suffer hardly at all with a good teleconverter.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile happy man Smile
today
finally my new toy arrived, the canon fd 400mm 4.5

its a BIG lens, the nex 5n looks funny on this lens.
i didn't really have a time for "real" shooting and this are my first pictures with this lens ( hand hold).
Still have to learn to focus more accurate with tele lenses, i mis-focus to many pictures Sad

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting your opinion about CA wide open Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Dean! Your 400/4.5 kit looks identical to the one I owned. About focusing, one of the nice things about the lens that you have is it is a later New FD, with internal focusing. Because it has internal focusing, the focusing collar spins easily so it becomes a fast focusing lens once you get used to it. I look forward to seeing more pics. And since Phenix has had a different experience from what I had regarding CA wide open, I'm also interested in seeing any test shots you might want to post that show CA -- or the lack thereof.