Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vintage vs New, Digital vs Film, Crisis..
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Vintage vs New, Digital vs Film, Crisis.. Reply with quote

I am in a bit of quandry. I bought over 70+ lenses and had them imported to the Philippines. This includes 2 range finders and 4 Nikon film cameras and one Mamiya Pro. I probably suffer from GAS Shocked

My question is this:

I really don't shoot film very much. The reason being it is hard to get the film processed here without expanding a huge amount of time and money. I can *learn* to process my own film and do have space to create a dark room. However, what do we do with film? We scan it and create digital file. What is the point then vs using straight out digital? My reason for buying film and MF camera was to practice on mediums other than digital. I felt that to be a better photographer I need to learn the ropes of old school methods and not just rely on digital. It is part of the reason I started buying old MF lenses too. I didn't want to be lazy and let the camera and lenses do all the work for me.

However, the stuff is sitting there in my drybox not getting much use. I've never shot once with my Mamiya. I want to, but never got around to it. Whenever I have a shoot my D800 comes out! The same goes for most of my lenses. When it comes to getting photos I reach for the lenses that I know will get me the 'best' image possible. This means my beloved vintage Tamron, Vivitar, Nikkor, etc. isn't getting as much use as some of the other lenses. I don't really use AF very much, so yes, the lenses I use are also MF, but they are quality MF lenses that have established track record.

Selling these equipment in this country isn't really a good option and I'll likely sell them for 1/2 what I paid for them.

I am sure other photographers have been through this phase before.

Should I keep these old camreas and lenses and just take them for use whenever whenever even if it is like once a year? It is like ook I bought them they are mine I can just keep them till I die. I don't need the money and they ain't going anywhere.

Should I push myself harder and practice more with my old film cameras and learn development on my own just as I initially planned? This is more like my initial idea was sound and it is time I put my foot forward and just do it!

Should I sell the lenses and the camera even at a loss and keep only the "best" of the "best" for my pro work and jus stick to digital?
Someone once recommended I just sell 90% of my lenses and cameras and just buy the newest glass from Nikon.

The thing is I am "happy" to own a large amount of Adaptall lenses or a select Vivitar or a less known this or that Russian lens. It feels good to know I have them, but I know when it comes to pro work I got better lenses. Thus is that feeling a GAS illusion or a natural part of being a photographer who likes to have both a classic and new gear on hand?

I hope my ramblings make sense and I look forward to advice from Photographers who have large collection of lenses and who shoot both digital and film.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have exactly same problem.

Film cameras are collecting dust, I even have film loaded most of them. Got equipment and chemicals but the processing part is just dark, smelly and boring. Making prints is more fun but it requires setting up the enlarger and tanks every time because I don't have a fixed place for a darkroom.

One cool thing was to take 6x6 slides during vacation trips and show them on the wall. Set up "travel evenings" or so. But I haven't been anywhere for nearly .. ? years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you a collector or a photographer.

A collector, who cares, go nuts. A photographer, bin it all and buy a x100.

The end :p

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
I have exactly same problem.

Film cameras are collecting dust, I even have film loaded most of them. Got equipment and chemicals but the processing part is just dark, smelly and boring. Making prints is more fun but it requires setting up the enlarger and tanks every time because I don't have a fixed place for a darkroom.

One cool thing was to take 6x6 slides during vacation trips and show them on the wall. Set up "travel evenings" or so. But I haven't been anywhere for nearly .. ? years.

Exactly! I am guessing you still kept your film cameras. The question is why? Why are we still holding unto them while not using them vs holding unto them and using them vs just selling them?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
Are you a collector or a photographer.

A collector, who cares, go nuts. A photographer, bin it all and buy a x100.

The end :p

If that is the end everyone in the world would be running around with an x100. I don't see the merit of selling my D800 and getting an x100. I don't see the merit of getting an x100 WHILE having a D800.

However, the answer to your question is I am a photographer who likes the feel of old lenses and appreciate their construction. Emotionally, I like possessing a wide variety of old lenses, but practically, I just want the best lenses for my work. I also believe that learning the old ropes is part of being a photographer. If I am sitting in a room with photographers and they all have shot with MF or LF cameras and I never seen or used one then I feel like an idiot or someone who was too lazy to learn his craft. The problem is that for most part these old tools don't get as much use, mostly because it isn't practical where I am , and partially because we got better tools nowadays.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a professional photographer, you most likely haven't got time to go playing around with lenses and cameras just for fun.
If you are a serious amateur, than play with whatever gives you a buzz.
If you are a collector of lenses and cameras , does it matter if you use them or not - it is the collecting that floats your boat.
If you are not a collector and you are looking at lenses/cameras that are taking up space, then move them on.
If you are unsure, set yourself a challenge - one camera, one lens and use nothing else for a solid week. You might surprise yourself with the quality of your work and how much it improves without all that other stuff weighing you down.
OH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would argue that we are now at the best point ever for manual focus photography. Get an A7/R and you have a full frame top quality DSLR sensor, the ability to mount literally any lens, and great MF and exposure assist tools. Sure film has its place, but I think combining the best of the old and the best of the new is a fantastic thing. A bit steampunk, but who cares.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basilisk wrote:
I would argue that we are now at the best point ever for manual focus photography. Get an A7/R and you have a full frame top quality DSLR sensor, the ability to mount literally any lens, and great MF and exposure assist tools. Sure film has its place, but I think combining the best of the old and the best of the new is a fantastic thing. A bit steampunk, but who cares.

So what you are recommending here is digital+MF lenses like I am doing vs film? I have 2 ranges finders, 3 nikon cameras including an F3, and a Mamiya RZ. Do you think with a D800, I'm better served just selling them and forgetting about film all together?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maldaye wrote:
Basilisk wrote:

So what you are recommending here is digital+MF lenses like I am doing vs film? I have 2 ranges finders, 3 nikon cameras including an F3, and a Mamiya RZ. Do you think with a D800, I'm better served just selling them and forgetting about film all together?

If you don't want them for a collection, then that is exactly what I would do.
OH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My situation is similar. I have quite a number of analog SLRs, most came with a lens I was after, but also a few bodies that I bought for wanting them and a number of fixed lens rangefinders I wanted. In years I only finished some 3 or 4 rolls of film, a number of cameras have a half shot roll inside. Many times tempted I never got a medium format camera, but I still may some day Wink

I rather have the cameras then the little money they would bring, if I sold them even only counting the time spent to sell them hardly makes it worthwhile. And I don't see any problem. During these few years that I am into photography I have gone through a few changes. The day when I really dig into using film has not arrived but it could and very likely one day will. I don't push it but I am quite certain that some days in the future I will happily pick up one or the other analog camera and be all excited to have it and to be able to use it.

As for lenses, though I am pure hobbyist, no pro, for wide angles, all sharp cityscape or landscape photos I arrived at preferring rather modern lenses, but starting at 35mm ( on APS-C ) and longer I still really dig the characteristics of very old lenses.

in short, if you don't need the money nor space, specially since you bought most of your analog gear quite recently, don't rush it. Be patient, keep them for now and think again in a few years time Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
maldaye wrote:
Basilisk wrote:

OH

I don't collect cameras. I like the construction of old lenses and their feel. I acquired old cameras to improve my photography or get certain type of images.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

As for lenses, though I am pure hobbyist, no pro, for wide angles, all sharp cityscape or landscape photos I arrived at preferring rather modern lenses, but starting at 35mm ( on APS-C ) and longer I still really dig the characteristics of very old lenses.

in short, if you don't need the money nor space, specially since you bought most of your analog gear quite recently, don't rush it. Be patient, keep them for now and think again in a few years time Wink

I don't need the money or space. I could use the money, if it is in my hand, but not need.

Interesting comment about the wide angles. I've been looking at selling a bunch of my 28mm and keeping only the voigtlander and upgrading my 28mm af-d 2.8 to the 1.8 for reportedly increased sharpness. People here in the Philippines are not very much into MF lenses and prefer to spend their money on fast primes (50 1.4). On the flip side, most wouldn't be willing to pay $100 for a 50 1.4 AF Nikon. They think it is too expensive! Yet, if I was to import it, I'd pay $40/50 in shipping PLUS 30% of the total value (price + shipping) in taxes at the border!

You are right about rushing to sell, because I am just really just starting to explore my tools now. I've been focused on portraits for the last 2 years and I know what kind of lenses I want, what look, and what else I'd want to buy. My ultra wides and zooms have been sitting unusued, because I rarely use them. This might change if my circumsances change and then I might find myself wanting to buy them again, but really, how many 70-200 does one need? I got near 8 of those.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maldaye wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
maldaye wrote:
Basilisk wrote:

OH

I don't collect cameras. I like the construction of old lenses and their feel. I acquired old cameras to improve my photography or get certain type of images.

Then stop agonising over it and just get on with whatever gives you enjoyment.
You have already admitted that you do not use your film cameras - and some of this equipment can't be used on your digital camera....the RZ/RB67 stuff in particular.
So, either, collect it - use it - sell it - store it .......... whatever
OH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
maldaye wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
maldaye wrote:
Basilisk wrote:

OH

Then stop agonising over it and just get on with whatever gives you enjoyment.
You have already admitted that you do not use your film cameras - and some of this equipment can't be used on your digital camera....the RZ/RB67 stuff in particular.
So, either, collect it - use it - sell it - store it .......... whatever
OH

Two thumbs up! The agnoising comes from part of me saying that I should and it is important to learn how. There are many articles online about how using film and having to pay for it has helped people become better photographers. This idealism is faced with the reality of not being able to develop the films that I take or the ease of doing so in this country. I miss the days of being able to take the film to a lab in the mall and get it developed in an hour. Here I have to spend over $50 just to get the film to the lab + over 8 hours of travel time. Then I have to wait a few days and repeat the process and expense again! It is just arrrrgghhhh!

You are right though use it - store it - sell it ...whatever. In the long run, nothing is really changing about the current situation as it stands.

I do admit though I got some insights from this thread, including, shifting from buying a D600 as a backup camera and getting the A7/R instead. It looks fantastic!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn to process your own film and buy a scanner. It's a whole different process to digital and many people find it far more rewarding.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Maldaye:

Well, first of all on the scanning: I have a very large, very heavy (cast iron base), very old (circa fifty years), enlarger in my basement. I'm sure it still works except the bellows might by now need attention. I have not looked at it for more than twenty years. The sale price is really reasonable!! Very Happy

Seriously, I'm sympathetic to your plight. The old lenses have an allure which also has captured me. This transcends utility for me, though I'm respectful it might not for a pro. However, I would suggest the following:

Old lenses do retain some utility in 2014, in my view, especially for portraiture. Were I a pro (I'm not), I would contemplate carefully divestiture of any MF lens which could play a helpful roll in my work. This could extend even beyond portraiture, to other purposes you would recognize as a pro, aspects which I'm unable to recognize. Certainly at the least, before selling any MF lens, you would want to be certain you had its capability covered with one of your modern lenses.

Another aspect to consider, since you seem conflicted about the destiny of your MF lens stable, is investment. I'm a poor witness on this aspect, and you likely have a better take. But a reason to retain your MF lenses, either the collection en toto or certain individual lenses, would be if you believe this or that lens has a rising value profile.

I collect MF lenses simply because I enjoy older MF lenses, their look, feel, and provenance. I think that's true as well for some other contributors to this forum. But if you no longer enjoy the MF lenses, have no practical use for them, and believe they are declining in value . . . well . . . it might be time to sell.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Tue May 10, 2016 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shoot about 50 rolls of film a year, 50/50 medium format/35mm, all b&w.
The results are just different, sometimes very different, than digital.
Even if you just scan the film.
Yes, process your own, its not hard (b&w) and you save a lot.

I am from the Philippines and I have a good idea of the market situation there. Not too many camera collectors but there are some. You may want to look for these gents. Filipinos are great joiners in an informal way, and you may get plugged in to a network.

You will indeed have trouble reselling. There is an eBay Philippines but its not very active.
In the old days if I wanted to trade in stuff I would have run over to the Chinese photo dealers in Binondo Manila and been robbed blind, but that was the only reliable option.
You have GAS. No two ways about it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Learn to process your own film and buy a scanner. It's a whole different process to digital and many people find it far more rewarding.

This is my intention, I've got all the tanks and stuff to do the processing, and nearly 60 film cameras. But like most people here I had to buy the cameras to get the lens I wanted, and my list is including crappy compacts and some folders that I just like and they were cheap.
I really don't want to get into dark room stuff, but I'm very interested in seeing just how good some of the old classic cameras were, things like the OM 1 and XD7 that I couldn't afford back in the day. So I don't really want to sell the cameras until I've tried them, and process - scan is a great way of enjoying the camera. I've done a few film scans from Tesco processed films and had some good results, and a fair share of failures.
I fully intend this to be this summers project, I'll get some chemicals and try to use the stock of Poundland film I've got and use at least 2 cameras a week.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creating digital files from film is not the same as shooting digital. You have the opportunity to play with your cameras and keep them alive. Make prints from the negs or project your slides but enjoy using film.

We dont use film because its cheap or easy, we use film because we like the camera and the image quality it produces.

I suspect if there were ever a universal digital 'film' that fitted in ANY old camera the sales of advanced cameras would plummet. At least on this forum.

Enjoy your cams, perhaps try to theme your collection somehow.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Creating digital files from film is not the same as shooting digital. You have the opportunity to play with your cameras and keep them alive. Make prints from the negs or project your slides but enjoy using film.

We dont use film because its cheap or easy, we use film because we like the camera and the image quality it produces.

I suspect if there were ever a universal digital 'film' that fitted in ANY old camera the sales of advanced cameras would plummet. At least on this forum.

Enjoy your cams, perhaps try to theme your collection somehow.

Please explain this to me more. I did some development here in the Philippines and the quality of the prints looked like utter crap. Someone said it was the development lab issue. I can learn to develop it myself, I guess, but what is the exact benefit here compared to a D800 36MP lens. I get the camera part, because I get the MF lens part, so I am sure it would extend to a Camera type as well. However, you said image quality, and from what I understand high resultion digital is way better image quality than any film. I admit that I haven't seen high quality film print out (no counting mall lab development 10 years ago).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Film isn't about ultimate IQ, it's more about the process of taking the picture, and the final image's look and feel.
I liked film, but really prefer the instant feedback I get with digital when I'm on location, did that aperture setting get the DOF I wanted? With film it could be a week or longer before I found out, it's hard to learn the lenses characteristics with so much time between shooting and viewing.
My NEX-7 was/is a blast to shoot with.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can only repeat what some others have said i.e. if photography is a hobby then use what you enjoy or need for your subject...for me as a film user I would find a digital camera very boring as I'll know what I would do if I used one i.e. I would machine gun, sit in front of a computer and pick the best shot. Mind you doing panos and a digital camera is very useful.
But I suppose if I was interested in flying insects or experimenting, a digital camera would be of more use than a film camera because of the waste of film (and cost) getting a good shot.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know about you other guys, but what sells b&w film for me is extended tonal range and the fact that blown highlights so often don't look like blown highlights. I.e, what can look awful on digital looks natural on film. And HDR is a PITB, at least the way Pentax has it.
Or maybe I'm just no good with PP, which is very likely.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not one manufacture does HDR right, they all force you into a tone mapped jpg at the time of capture, and to me that is almost useless, I want the full tonal range in as close to a raw format as possible, eg jpg-xr.
I found autofocus too easy to fall into a snapshot frame of mind, manual focus glass on a digital body lets me try new things and all it cost me was the room to store the file.
With the right body it's every bit as good as using a film camera, but without the hassle of film.