Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax 110 Zoom - Dream comes true!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Pentax 110 Zoom - Dream comes true! Reply with quote

I have been wanting one of these for such a long time. Bought one prior on eBay. Seller never shipped!!

This time

Click here to see on Ebay then click see original listing

the lens, which just arrived, turned out to be brand new!!!!!!!

What a beautiful little lens. I am so pleased I can scarcely contain myself. Very Happy

While very small, this zoom is actually larger than I anticipated. But it is perfect. Even the carton is in pristine condition! And the original warranty certificate was in there, too. This lens is at least thirty years old, so it's amazing to find NOS (new old stock).

With lenses bought on eBay there are good days and not-so-good days. This is a really good day!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newfie wrote:
Woo Hoo guardian,

You got one you really wanted Very Happy Good job

Regards

Gavin

Hey, thanks. It's hours later now and I'm still excited. A "get" like this (sadly) cannot be taken for granted! Boy, was I fortunate.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to use it on an APS-C camera?

If so, then be prepared for so-so IQ. It's sharp enough in the centre but the edges are smeary and there is a couple of stops of light falloff. Not a lens for general purpose use, I sold mine. I still have the primes but never use them, they would be more useful on a M4/3 camera where the vignette and poor edges would be less apparent.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find guardian, and that's an excellent price. I recently picked up one of the 110 auto kits with the 18, 24 and 50 lenses and bought the adapter for Nex. They're so tiny! I saw this zoom when I was doing reading about the whole system and was very intrigued. Do you plan to use it on digital or on the 110 itself?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Are you going to use it on an APS-C camera?

If so, then be prepared for so-so IQ. It's sharp enough in the centre but the edges are smeary and there is a couple of stops of light falloff. Not a lens for general purpose use, I sold mine. I still have the primes but never use them, they would be more useful on a M4/3 camera where the vignette and poor edges would be less apparent.

Agreed, iangreenhalgh1. I've no plans to even attempt using this lens on my Sigma SD14. It was bought strictly for my Oly E-PL1, which is m4/3. That's the only 110 adapter I have.

BTW, I understand these 110 lenses are also appropriate for Pentax Q camera bodies, but that's not something I own.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenetik wrote:
Great find guardian, and that's an excellent price. I recently picked up one of the 110 auto kits with the 18, 24 and 50 lenses and bought the adapter for Nex. They're so tiny! I saw this zoom when I was doing reading about the whole system and was very intrigued. Do you plan to use it on digital or on the 110 itself?

Thank you, kenetik. The plan is to use the lens solely on my Olympus E-PL1.

I'm very impressed by your interest in the 110 lenses and by your acquisition of three!! I'm planning shortly to put up a separate thread regarding the 110 18mm. While researching this zoom I ran across some 110 18mm data which intrigued and confused me.

Please stay tuned. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know what its like on your Oly, The idiot in me thinks that would be the perfect zoom for the Q, leaving me with a FOV of 100mm-200mm and all at f2.8.. might be nice.

It's only the silly electronic shutter arrangement in the Q that's putting me off looking at it properly.

Last edited by tromboads on Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAM THIS PLACE!

yes go look whats on ebay he says, just a quick search he says,

Find a seller with 2 of them, make an offer and BAM!

Why did I just buy two 20-40mm 110 zooms! Embarassed

Sigh.... there will be one for sale shortly if anyone else has the mad idea

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
DAM THIS PLACE!

yes go look whats on ebay he says, just a quick search he says,

Find a seller with 2 of them, make an offer and BAM!

Why did I just buy two 20-40mm 110 zooms! Embarassed

Sigh.... there will be one for sale shortly if anyone else has the mad idea

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

By Jove that was an inspired purchase decision!!

And I demand at least partial credit for having provided some of the inspiration!! Laughing Laughing

Seriously, congrats on your purchase!

Be prepared that your new 110 zooms might be somewhat larger than you otherwise would expect, using 110 prime lenses as yardstick.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad you made that deal. Wink i bought most of my lenses from private sellers and from small advertisements, and some off from ebay. Very Happy have fun with your new lens.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
Let us know what its like on your Oly, The idiot in me thinks that would be the perfect zoom for the Q, leaving me with a FOV of 100mm-200mm and all at f2.8.. might be nice.

It's only the silly electronic shutter arrangement in the Q that's putting me off looking at it properly.

I am not a Pentax Q camera body owner, and I have no purchase plans for that camera body.

Nevertheless, I just checked and can report, without equivocation, Pentax 110 lenses can be adapted to Pentax Q camera bodies.

Only speed bump:

The adapters, relative to many others, are quite expensive, selling for circa US$20+. Surprised

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes adaptor on its way too. Oh this place is bad news I tells ya. Bad news :p

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well screw you guys. lens, adapter the works all here.

Some initial JPG's out of the camera (Pentax Q) with the homemade aperture disc.

Click!

Don't know what I'm talking about?

A ring binder reinforcement disc. The little sticky circle with a hole in the middle you put on your documents to help limit them coming tearing out of your ring binder folder

Well get a black texta and colour one it and wack it on the bottom of the 20-40mm f2.8 Lens!

You now have a 20-40mm f... er.. aperture can be calculated by Focal Length / entrance pupil.. .. perhaps I'll leave some numbers here and you chaps can help me out Razz

Focal length = 20-40mm (zoom lens)
Entrance Pupil = 37mm
Exit Pupil = 12mm
Exit Pupil (now)= 6mm

Honestly, using it without this home made aperture was not very good.

Click standard lens with no aperture disc

Moral of the story? Get one of those binder disc and whack it on the back!

Aside notes. Manually focusing on the Q kinda sucks. The lens is just as heavy as the camera now and having to use it two handed.. well it kinda defeats the purpose of the little sucker really. It does look bad ass tho Laughing

I'll take her for a proper stroll over the weekend with idea to check it's infinity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ring binder reinforcement disc idea works for me!

Actually, too, I was thinking of using a common (thin) washer. Got boxes of 'em.