Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

List of native 1:1 macro lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: List of native 1:1 macro lenses? Reply with quote

I'm looking to pick up a macro lens that does 1:1 without the need for tubes or bellows, but am struggling to sift through all of the macro labelled lenses that are 1:2 etc.

Any help adding lens names and opinions of them would be a great help!

Ones I already am aware of (off the top of my head):

Macro Takumar 50mm f4 (non-SMC version)
Vivitar 90mm f2.8 or f2.5
Vivitar 105mm f2.5

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add:

Rokunar V-HQ Macro MC 90 mm f/2.5

But this might be the same lens as the Vivitar 90/2.8...

Also:

Voigtländer Macro APO-Lanthar SL 125mm f/2.5

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macrolenses with 1:1 too

Panagor 90mm 2.8
Panagor 55mm 2.8

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeiss (Contax) S-Planar f2.8 60mm (not the "C" Version which is only 1:2) also called later Makro-Planar and its brother, the f2.8 100mm Makro-Planar

Kiron f2.8 105mm also sold as "Lester-Dine" f2.8 105mm and Rikenon f2.8 105mm, Rolleinar f2.8 105mm, Vivitar f2.5/f2.8 105mm - a fine macro lens (I have it and recommend it, especically for its excellent performance/$$ ratio)

Personally I recommend the longer focal length around 100mm, as it gives a much better working distance.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now winter is coming, I'm going to get back to doing some macro shooting. At the moment I use a Rodenstock Magnagon 5.6/75 (APO-Rodagon-D rebadged) on bellows and an old Wollensak 6.3/65 Microfilm lens on bellows. I also have the Macro-Nikkor 3.5/55 and an Industar 61-LZ 2.8/50 macro lens.

Do the dedicated macro lenses like the Kiron 105mm offer better performance at 1:1 than the lenses I am already using?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar 55mm f/2.8 Macro (see http://olypedia.de/Vivitar_1:2,8/55_mm_MC_Macro)
Yashinon Tomioka 60mm f/2.8 Macro (also as Mamiya/Sekor)
Canon FD 200mm f/4 Macro

Last edited by eno789 on Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron adaptall 90mm 72B reaches 1:1 without tubes or teleconverter etc.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Now winter is coming, I'm going to get back to doing some macro shooting. At the moment I use a Rodenstock Magnagon 5.6/75 (APO-Rodagon-D rebadged) on bellows and an old Wollensak 6.3/65 Microfilm lens on bellows. I also have the Macro-Nikkor 3.5/55 and an Industar 61-LZ 2.8/50 macro lens.

Do the dedicated macro lenses like the Kiron 105mm offer better performance at 1:1 than the lenses I am already using?

Depends on your camera. If you have a camera with DLA of 8 or more that has AA filter, then at 1:1 your Magnagon will give about as good an image as you can get. But if your camera has a larger DLA, and/or has no AA filter, then one of the dedicated macros might beat the Magnagon. I don't have data on optimum aperture for each of the lenses listed, but as an example if you shoot a Canon with 4.3um pixel pitch (DLA f6.7), and you can find a lens with 1:1 optimum aperture (ie diffraction limited) at f8 or larger (effective, f4 nominal) it will give you a better result from sharpness and resolution perspective. Your Magnagon will be at f11 at 1:1, so resolution will suffer a bit if DLA is f6.7. I expect that some of the listed lenses with f2.5 max nominal aperture may have excellent performance at f4 at 1:1 (effective f8 ), so can possibly beat the Magnagon on fine-pitch sensors. From CA perspective, the Magnagon is superb and effectively apochromatic, so even the Apo-Lanthar can't significantly beat it, but I don't believe the Apo-Lanthar is diffraction-limited at f4 anyway so it is a moot point.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I'll stick with the Magnagon then. My NEX-3 is buggered so I'm saving my pennies for a new camera, still not sure what I will buy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Zeiss (Contax) S-Planar f2.8 60mm (not the "C" Version which is only 1:2) also called later Makro-Planar and its brother, the f2.8 100mm Makro-Planar

Kiron f2.8 105mm also sold as "Lester-Dine" f2.8 105mm and Rikenon f2.8 105mm, Rolleinar f2.8 105mm, Vivitar f2.5/f2.8 105mm - a fine macro lens (I have it and recommend it, especically for its excellent performance/$$ ratio)

Personally I recommend the longer focal length around 100mm, as it gives a much better working distance.

Actually, the Vivitar 2.8-version is marked as 100 mm. Still, as said, a great lens.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sceptic wrote:
kds315* wrote:

Actually, the Vivitar 2.8-version is marked as 100 mm. Still, as said, a great lens.

There're two Vivitar branded same lens, S1 105mm f/2.5 Macro, and non-S1 100mm f/2.8 Macro. You can usually get the 100mm a little cheaper. All excellent.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I ask why you need 1:1?

I ask because there are many excellent macro lenses that go to 'only' 1:2.

I have the Macro-Takumar 1:4/50 1:1 and the SMC Macro-Takumar 1:4/100 1:2.

I use the longer lens more; mostly I think for the longer working distance.

I had used the 1:4/50 extensively before switching -- I did miss 1:1 capability at first, but only because I was photographing really tiny flowers a few mm across. After a short time I didn't miss 1:1 capability. I have that lens if I need it...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eno789 wrote:
sceptic wrote:
kds315* wrote:

There're two Vivitar branded same lens, S1 105mm f/2.5 Macro, and non-S1 100mm f/2.8 Macro. You can usually get the 100mm a little cheaper. All excellent.

The Vivitar 100 2.8 is a Kiron made lens and I have always wondered how it measured up to the Dine. One thing to be careful about when purchasing the Vivs sight unseen is that there was a Vivitar 105/2.8 preset made by Tokina (and there is a non macro 55 2.8 which is a very unremarkable standard lens, as opposed to the Komine 55/2.8 macro).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another lens which is quite probably found under various names is the Elicar 90/2.5 VHQ.
I had this until I bought my Bokina, at which point I gave the Elicar to my father. I've regretted that decision ever since, it was superb. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
Another lens which is quite probably found under various names is the Elicar 90/2.5 VHQ.
I had this until I bought my Bokina, at which point I gave the Elicar to my father. I've regretted that decision ever since, it was superb. Laughing

From what I have read, the Rokunar 90/2.5, Elicar 90/2.5, and Vivitar 90/2.8 are all the same lens, but I have not looked at them all together to be sure.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

I had used the 1:4/50 extensively before switching -- I did miss 1:1 capability at first, but only because I was photographing really tiny flowers a few mm across. After a short time I didn't miss 1:1 capability. I have that lens if I need it...

Not to answer for the OP, but I do find this an odd question. I do a lot of work at 2:1 and 4:1. I would not even know how to answer if someone asked me why I need 4:1, why not just 2:1. Subjects are different sizes and you need the appropriate magnification to show the details you want to resolve.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:

Panagor 90mm 2.8
Panagor 55mm 2.8

Are you sure about f/2.8? My Panagor is labeled 3/55.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodrim wrote:
Minolfan wrote:

Panagor 90mm 2.8
Panagor 55mm 2.8

Are you sure about f/2.8? My Panagor is labeled 3/55.

Yes, I am quite sure - have it in my hands - but I know there are Panagor 55mm macrolenses marked 3.0 too.
I don't know if it is exactly the same lens.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soligor 90mm C/D f/2.5

http://forum.mflenses.com/soligor-c-d-macro-mc-90mm-f-2-5-t65292,highlight,%2Bsoligor+%2B90mm.html

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D version of Kilfitt 40mm can do 1:1. However it is not as sharp as other lenses discussed here. There is a Miranda 52mm macro which I am pretty sure can do 1:1.

BTW does it have to be a vintage lens? A lot of recent third party AF macro lenses are very good, most are 1:1 natively and are not that expensive on used market especially compared to some cult macro lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lester Dine and Kiron/Vivitar versions of it are no doubt very good lenses.
I am often surprised by the high prices that are paid for these lenses in the marketplace.
There are some outstanding lenses that are not MF only and can sometimes be had for less than the prices paid for these vintage items.
The Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro is one such example.
It can be fully manual focus if one wants and also has the added benefit of AF when desired.
Of course it is 1:1 as well.
OH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pure manual focus operation is of particular importance to the genre of Macro lenses, especially those lenses that can achieve 1:1. As magnification approaches 1:1, holding the camera in fixed position while increasing lens extension becomes ineffective in focusing the lens. For a simple AF algorithm to work in the macro range, AF lenses actually shorten their focal length as magnification is increased toward 1:1. This has two advantages to lens designers: simplified focusing algorithm; and minimization of lens extension at 1:1. So-called "IF" or internal focusing lenses would not be possible in the 1:1 range if shortening FL did not occur. Unfortunately, shortening FL also makes working distance less than expected for the nominal focal length, and at the same time unpredictable.

MF Macro lenses have long extensions to get to 1:1, and this is a telltale sign that the lens does NOT decrease FL. The required build quality and resulting long working distances are part of reasons these lenses are expensive and in demand. While modern AF macro lenses may be cheaper than their MF forebears, they are a completely different animal and should not be considered equivalent.

Of course since simple AF extension algorithms fail near 1:1, the MF macro photographer must adjust his focusing algorithm as well. MF macro photography involves use of lens extension to set the magnification, and movement of the combined camera+lens to set the focus. This is a particular characteristic of MF Macro operation and needs to be understood as very different from other photographic genres, and requiring specialized equipment.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Parkhurst wrote:
SonicScot wrote:

From what I have read, the Rokunar 90/2.5, Elicar 90/2.5, and Vivitar 90/2.8 are all the same lens, but I have not looked at them all together to be sure.

It seems that, indeed, are the same lens: http://olypedia.de/Vivitar_Auto_Telephoto_Macro_1:2%2C8/90_mm

The same applies to his brother, the Vivitar 55 / 2.8: http://olypedia.de/Vivitar_1:2%2C8/55_mm_MC_Macro

Regards.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Parkhurst wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Not to answer for the OP, but I do find this an odd question. I do a lot of work at 2:1 and 4:1. I would not even know how to answer if someone asked me why I need 4:1, why not just 2:1. Subjects are different sizes and you need the appropriate magnification to show the details you want to resolve.

Exactly. Smile (use the correct tool for the job, et al)

Of course, then, my question is as odd as the original question, yes? Laughing

The answer may be different for a collector than for a photographer, or someone who is both.

Where the job exists, a certain tool is needed. Where the job does not exist, the tool is selected in relation to other tools in the toolbox to fill in a range of use or complete a set of capabilities.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the replies, hugely appreciated, have put together a good list of lenses to keep an eye out for.

visualopsins wrote:

I had used the 1:4/50 extensively before switching -- I did miss 1:1 capability at first, but only because I was photographing really tiny flowers a few mm across

I think you answered your own question...
It's all dependent on the size of, and the distance you want to be from, your subject.
And to work without having to inter-change tubes would be helpful.