Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Remove dust from front glass of a multi-coated vintage lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Remove dust from front glass of a multi-coated vintage lens? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

The front glass of several of my lenses have dust on them. Perhaps I should have put UV filters on them... but in the meantime, how do I safely remove the dust?

Cheers,

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubber blower, then clean microfiber cloth if it is too much. A little dust, just leave it on,
it has no impact on pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Rubber blower, then clean microfiber cloth if it is too much. A little dust, just leave it on,
it has no impact on pictures.

+1 + fine brush
Don't clean lenses more than necessary.

If a clean microfiber cloth isn't enoug, use clean (!) methyl-, ethyl- or isopropyl alcohol or clean ether as solvent.
If lens partially made plastic be careful as it might get attacket slightly by the solvent. And especially don't use acetone on plastic lenses.

Don't use lyes, acids or oxidizers as long it's not absolutely necessary. They may remove the coatings. Even a weak base like ammonia (which is contained in many comercial window/glas cleaning aids) is able to dissolve magnesium fluoride slowly which is contained in many coatings.
When you have a problem with chalk on you lens try thinned vinegar (acetic acid) or a similar weak acid.

Don't let undistilled water dry on your lens. Undistilled contains Ca(OH)2, CaCO3, Mg(OH)2,.... etc. which may also interact with and damage the coatings.
Sometimes even raindrops are able to damage coatings when you let them dry on the lens.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will disagree with others here to say any dust not easily removed with blower and gentle wipe with new micro-fiber pad, is stuck to the coating, and should be cleaned, using a drop or two of reagent grade alcohol (Eclipse) on the corner of a new micro-fiber pad.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An artist brush with thin/smooth fibers is a great tool for general cleaning of camera gear.
I honestly doubt that camera cleaning gear is as gentle as a soft artist brush.
That and a blower should be among the safest options.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a medium flat watercolor brush that I use to dust lenses and viewfinders.

If it is dust that has been on the lens for a really long time and so won't blow off or brush off then a Q-tip with lighter fluid will usually make it off. Just don't end up rubbing the dirt in.

For tough dirt and grime you may have to get out the windex though. Luckily the only lenses I've had that were dirty enough for that were uncoated.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
I will disagree with others here to say any dust not easily removed with blower and gentle wipe with new micro-fiber pad, is stuck to the coating, and should be cleaned, using a drop or two of reagent grade alcohol (Eclipse) on the corner of a new micro-fiber pad.

Eclipse is overpriced methanol as far as I know.
Methanol is sligthly better than ethanol and isopropanol as it has a slightly lower tendency to dissolve plastic from the lens. But it's a little poisonous so keep that in mind.

Good lighter fluid is only better for oily, waxy or fatty stains (for example the lube from helicoids), for everything else the clean alcohols (MeOH, EtOH and IPA) should be better.
And don't use any bad smelling cheap lighter fluid... at best get petrol ether/bezine from an pharmacy (can be bought as "Wundbenzin" to remove plaster stains from skin in Germany)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
And don't use any bad smelling cheap lighter fluid... at best get petrol ether/bezine from an pharmacy (can be bought as "Wundbenzin" to remove plaster stains from skin in Germany)

How about bourbon?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very bad. Prefer single malt.