Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

1930s Kodak Anastigmat 4.5/7.5cm on 6x9
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: 1930s Kodak Anastigmat 4.5/7.5cm on 6x9 Reply with quote

After the success I had with the Meyer Trioplan 4.5/10.5cm:

http://forum.mflenses.com/1920s-meyer-trioplan-4-5-10-5cm-on-6x9-t64830.html

I decided to try another old uncoated triplet lens. The Trioplan had smooth bokeh with no evidence of the 'artistic' rendering typical of some other triplets like the 2.8/100 Trioplan and the 2.9/50 Meritar. I figured that a shorter length lens that only just and so covered the format might show some wierdness in the outer portions as it was being pushed beyond it's rated coverage. So I took the Kodak Anastigmat 4.5/7.5cm in Compur from a broken Kodak Duo 620 folder and mounted it for use on my Century Graphic 23:

The results are very similar to the Trioplan - sharp but smooth. So it looks like the triplets that have the 'artistic' rendering are the fast 2.8/2.9 ones and slower 4.5 triplets are rather better corrected. First image is with Agfa Litex graphic arts film, second is with 1968 expired Kodak Panatomic-x. Both wide open at f4.5, 1/2 sec. Developed in stock Kodak DK-50for 9 and 24 mins respectively.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Duo 620 is a very neat little camera.
Nice helical unit focus on a folder, or mine is anyway, your looks like a front cell focus type.
I have one I am fixing, have to get the bellows replaced ultimately and its held together with tape at the moment.
Yeah, the "Kodak" triplet is sharp on mine too.

Good job testing coverage on 6x9

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the second shot, very good indeed. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Dave. My favourite hammer. Smile

Luis, mine is front cell focusing. You can have the bellows from mine if you want, I'll check them tomorrow for condition.

Coverage at infinity, f22 is a fraction shy of the full frame, but that's okay, I have other lenses to use for infinity. This was at f22, infinity, 3 seconds exposure in an attempt to produce a nice blurred effect on the train, but instead it disappeared apart from the lights, note the slight vignette top left.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as much vignetting as I would have expected. It looks like it would neatly cover 6x7 at least.
Of course the corners may still be less than acceptable.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming a 50 deg horizontal field of view of a 75mm on 6x7, it should be like a 38mm on 35mm.
So you have a useful wide angle there (assuming acceptable corners).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it would cover 6x7 fine, the image circle is at it's maximum at f22 (the smallest aperture setting on the shutter it is in) so it will be a bit smaller at larger apertures. I have four 80mm lenses that cover 6x9 fine - Schneider Componon 5.6/80, Mamiya-Sekor 2.8/80 (tiny bit of vignette), Minolta CE-Rokkor 5.6/80 and Wray HR Lustrar 5.6/82, so this Kodak 75mm not quite covering at infinity isn't an issue for me, it will still have it's uses.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer is damn good, general rule works, close distance works well with any lens.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a trashed up dead Kodak Medalist (but with a clean lens) sometime, and rescue the 100mm F 3.5 Ektar from that camera. It is a beaut, a Heliar derivative that gave me outstanding 6x9 negatives.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Attila, you're right, close up, most any lens will work.

Never seen a Medalist for sale here, sadly. I do want a Heliar sometime, a Voigtlander folder with one went for 68ukp the other day on ebay. Dallmeyer Pentacs are very similar, but those always go for stupid money to Far Eastern buyers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photo of the hammer looks very nice.
You are always trying out some interesting lens!
Way beyond me though.
I did buy an Agfa Isolette II and shot some film with it.
Still waiting to develop it though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. I look for old folders with issues that I can salvage the lenses and shutters from. Sometimes I just want the shutter, but sometimes if the lens has good glass, they can be rather useful too.

The Isolettes are good cameras. The Agnar and Apotar lenses on them are triplets, the Agnar was cheaper because it was slower. The Solinar is a tessar type and the most desirable, but they are all quite capable.