Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Another mirror lens - Makinon MC 300mm f/5.6
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Another mirror lens - Makinon MC 300mm f/5.6 Reply with quote

I picked up another 300mm mirror lens, to see whether it performed to the same sort of level as the Ohnar 300/5.6 (with aperture contol) and Chinon/whatever name they put against it 300/5.6 T2 mount mirror lens.

This one appears different as it has a fixed mount (Minolta MD in this case), but performance is very similar i.e. lowish contrast, but pretty decent IQ given the tiny size of the thing!

Just a quick first shot at high ISO (blacks have been boosted!):

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one unusual looking picture in a good way Very Happy

Looks promising, put out some more samples if and when you can...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pigeons look spooky............there's a lot of donut weird shit bokeh there. But, on a positive note, the squirrel is sharp and good, and right at the top of the picture the bokeh appears to be getting a bit less less Dunkin Donuts. There's a range where it has to be said - it's overpowering, but if the shot was more landscape / infinity then that short range would be reduced dramatically, the squirrel would be still sharp, and the picture would be good.
I'm very much tempted towards a short and compact mirror like this, they do have a lot going for them, but they certainly have to be used with regard to the donuts.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually hate mirror lens bokeh, and the pigeons in this one do freak me out a bit. You're right though, line the shot up carefully and you can get a far more normal looking shot.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use Oriental style Smile and it will be great , I had several noname mirror lenses, this is count as one of the best ones indeed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this and the other T2 mount. Performance is close. This one have the edge in minimum focus distance and the T2 version have edge in focus throw. I keep the T2 mount because it is more easy to focus precisely.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A miserable day today, but a few more samples at high ISO. I boosted the blacks again as the lens is low contrast. I was fairly well convinced that all of my shots were out of focus until I got home. I think the problem is with Sony's JPGs which look mushy when previewing RAW images on the LCD screen. The actual output was far better.

#7 (out of focus train)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too much harsh donuts ! had it sold it to a asian photographer , they love'd it

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love donuts! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Promising lens! Before bush you can make wonderful portraits from your lovely wife, look background on sitting man. I can imagine your wife there as model.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
I love donuts! Very Happy

Mmmmmm Laughing

Attila wrote:
Promising lens! Before bush you can make wonderful portraits from your lovely wife, look background on sitting man. I can imagine your wife there as model.

Maybe once the sun comes out Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like #4 very much. It have a nice comb of real and unreal.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it's unusual combination of mirror bokeh and shorter than 500mm focal length. I really like it! Bokeh is disturbing, but that could be a good value.
Goes on my wishlist Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very interesting images, crazy bokeh Smile