Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is a Nikon D90 worth getting for manual focus
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Is a Nikon D90 worth getting for manual focus Reply with quote

I can pick up a decent D90 , at around 200.00 US . Have a few Nikkors that I have picked up along the way at prices I could not resist and they have been waiting for a digital body to play with. ( a 105/2.5 ais for 15$ being the best of them ) . Love my Sony A100 and one day will grab a nex with a viewfinder but until that day comes...
What are your thoughts on the D90

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A super camera but will only work in manual mode with non AF lenses - no metering for old nikkors. I have the same problem. I put a dandelion chip on my lenses so I can get full metering and auto exposure. The chips glue on but sometimes a little has to be filed off inside the lens mount.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool is the chip on the bay

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a D90 with manuals for a year or so and it definitely makes sense. Following some good advice from this forum I changed the focusing screen and it helped a lot with getting the focus right. Otherwise it is a decent camera. Now I have D300s and it offers some very helpful features like inputting non-CPU lens data and metering, but these are not things that are absolutely essential. D90 did nicely without them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the input philslizzy and Lena ! Plan to pick the camera up in a few days so will see how it goes .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J. Smith wrote:
Cool is the chip on the bay

Yes, sorry about delay in replying. This is the one I use:
Click here to see on Ebay

There is a cheaper one:
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can take photos with them, but on older MF Nikkors, the non-AI/AI/AI-S, you cannot meter because the body needs to be able to communicate with the lens. You cannot do this with these lenses. Some people have tried "chipping" some of these lenses but I cannot comment on their success of that as I never have had any need or desire to do so.