Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Miranda 105mm f2.8 - to keep or not to keep?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Miranda 105mm f2.8 - to keep or not to keep? Reply with quote

I acquired this lens as part of a job lot, there are some good pics/reports on this type of 105's around so I was quite interested to check it out.

The lens arrived with some fungus affliction and a horribly sticky oiled up iris. Eventually I got round to fixing it up,
a reasonably straightforward project with this relatively simple lens. It tuned out to be a 5 element design, a bit sonnar like actually, big fat element behind the front elements. Turns out too that this is an easy (as it gets!) conversion to PK: the miranda mount comes off leaving a flat plate,
the miranda mount can be used as a pattern to drill three holes in a M42-PK adapter, screw it on, voila!

But unfortunately I didn't succeed in recouping the difference in the registration distances, focus was limited to 1-10m approx!

I took it out today, a nice sunny interlude in the assault of the Atlantic storms. Favourably impressed with the images, the local fauna provided the portrait opportunities - what do you think? Just OtC jpg's, most cropped and resized.

I used auto adjust colors in Irfan View on this one , decided I liked the output.

100% crops off a roadsign. Only a tinge of fringing!

100%

So I am undecided. The infinity focus issue is a problem, but iq seems good...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Results look quite good.
If you want to use it as a dedicated portrait lens the focus range will be almost ideal.
If not, well I would sell it, but then again - how much is it likely to fetch for you?
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fine lens.

Like the 135s lenses, the little brothers, the 100/105s lenses, are good ones.

It has the same formula than the auto miranda-soligor- 135/2,8. And it has the same rendering too.

Almost any 100/105 lens will give you decent images.

In your shoes i buy it. If in the future you buy another 100/105 lens, the miranda is a nice lens to collect.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy lot better lens on affordable price Nikkor 105mm f2.5 AIS most obvious example, I had this Miranda to test , loan from my friend, even if I did like it I not willing to buy it , until Nikkor available on actual price level.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKA the chrome eared Soligor, a decent lens. I like my Soligor version a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your thoughts

I'm guessing the nikkor would be more like a hundred as opposed to the 20-30 odd quid one of these Mirandas might cost/go for? And in any case Nikon F mount would also have infinity focus issue on my pentax.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
Thanks for your thoughts

I'm guessing the nikkor would be more like a hundred as opposed to the 20-30 odd quid one of these Mirandas might cost/go for? And in any case Nikon F mount would also have infinity focus issue on my pentax.

Just keep using it as a portrait lens and enjoy it.
There are plenty of other lenses around that will give infinity focus.
In any case, how many times would we choose a lens of this focal length for landscapes.
Happy snaps
OH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this. Used it on film a few times on Miranda bodies.
Seems well made.
You should be getting sharper results wide open.
I like that you used my favorite models!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miranda is a brand I remember, but know little about. Did they actually make lenses themselves? I too notice the chrome ears seen on many other third party lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lens.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very crisp.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know Miranda itself always contracted with other makers for everything. The resemblance to the "chrome ears" is no accident as during that period Miranda was owned and distributed by Allied Impex, the owners of the Soligor brand.
So there are a lot of Miranda lenses can be identified with known types that were also branded as Soligors. However, some lenses seem to have been exclusive to the Miranda brand and were not sold under other brands, even Soligor. The most complete series of these is the one to which this 105mm belongs, made for the very popular Sensorex series. There was a range of primes 25mm-180mm in this unique bunch. I have seen speculation that they were made by Kowa under some sort of exclusive contract. For sure they did not have the same formulas as typical Soligor branded lenses. Many had more elements.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: more test pics Reply with quote

So I took these using a tripod, MLU etc for a more definitve assessment. 100% centre crops.

Distinctly soft at 2.8, sharpens up f4, sharp 5.6 and up - I would say same sort of ballaprk as my CZJ 135, Panagor 135, Jupiter 11A. But much warmer colours OtC.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this set in a thrift store a while ago, i think you just gave me a reason to load it with film any time soon now!

Nukemall: very crisp examples!

Miranda Sensorex II by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A super lens. It could be worth attempting to thin the adapter a bit with a file I have done this successfully and managed to convert OM lenses for my Nikon with infinity focus.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: UPDATE: got infinity focus! Reply with quote

I was looking at the lens and thought "I could use a rimless adapter on this" because of the position of the screw holes.

I used my chinese clone one. Only trouble with this is the engagement on my PK-MFT adapter is too loose (actually that is the case with all my M42 adapters except the better quality plated rimmed one I used first for this mod). I was using my G1 to test because the
protruding aperture lever is catching on the body of my Pentax so I'll have to figure out something with that.

Yes I just used a bit of blue tack to plug the gap for the mo..

Crop:

UPDATE: still short of infinity focus on my Pentax K-r. focusses to about 20m. Confused