Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon Holy Trinity Brother - Damaged - Salvagable?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Nikon Holy Trinity Brother - Damaged - Salvagable? Reply with quote

Hi,

I am looking at this auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/171239370064?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Any ideas from experienced folks here if this is repairable based on the description? I know if there is fungus or a problem with the aperature blade those gets fixed, but what about a chip to the mount?

Thoughts? And before the auction ends preferably Wink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repairable if you have the spare part.
The bidding is running rather high for a bargain though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Repairable if you have the spare part.
The bidding is running rather high for a bargain though.

Really? This lens usually go for 1k on ebay. What would be the higest one should pay for this?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rule of thumb on a repairable lens is maybe 25% of probable resale, all else being equal.
Because you are taking a risk on the "repairable", as its not a certainty.
You are placing a bet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon May 09, 2016 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A spare part costs about 25 Euro in germany from Nikon directly.

Did do such a repair about 1 year ago.. and if you dont have to left hands, everyone could do that.

The buyer really did make a bargain...

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought 4 damaged/as-is/spare part lenses on ebay as one package. They all arrived. I tested them and here is what is what:

Nikon AF 20mm - plastic chipped in front - takes clean pictures - af & mf works - no damage to glass visible and no fungus - $90

Nikon AF 28mm - takes picture - af & mf works - slight scratch on glass - a bit dark in the view finder - the pictures come out clean. $42

Nikon AF 50 1.8 D - might have a spot of fungus - AF & MF works - auto focus a bit slow but works - takes pictures and they come out clean $39

Nikon AF 300mm F4 ED - missing front element $69

The first 3 work fine as they are and don't need to be serviced to take pictures. I can service them later and the cost would be around $15-35 per lens. The 4th I have no idea how much the cost of a front element replacement would be nor where I would go to buy one. We do have a nikon service center here, but their price tends to be a tad higher than 3rd party repair shops where such a manual labor itself would be around $25-35.

Assuming I can get the 4th lens fixed, did I get a bargain on this deal?