Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question on EL Nikkor 2.8/63mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Question on EL Nikkor 2.8/63mm Reply with quote

Can someone say if this lens has focus built in?

Or does it require helicoid?

I plan to mount it on Canon 5D III

thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. You need to put it into a helicoid to use on your camera.. If you need infinity, you might need to put it inside a large helicoid http://www.dcfever.com/trading/view.php?itemID=1287175 .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Calvin,

It was the two rings in the design which made me wonder if it had built in focusing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnBar wrote:
Thanks Calvin,

It was the two rings in the design which made me wonder if it had built in focusing

One ring adjusts the aperture, the other rotates the body so the aperture numbers can face the direction you need them to.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
JohnBar wrote:
Thanks Calvin,

One ring adjusts the aperture, the other rotates the body so the aperture numbers can face the direction you need them to.

thanks LightShow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"EL" stands for Enlarger Lens, never ever seen one with built in focusing....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
"EL" stands for Enlarger Lens, never ever seen one with built in focusing....

Of course, with the possible exception of Betavaron Wink

see page 11 , Figure 2 focusing ring F, but acting more like ratio control
http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/fileadmin/user_upload/bu_photo_imaging/Foto-Objektive/know_how/Variogon_Zoom_Lenses.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schneider sold large and expensive helicoids to put their ELs in, they turn up on ebay from time to time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Schneider sold large and expensive helicoids to put their ELs in, they turn up on ebay from time to time.

Cheers Ian, I have 11mm to play with Smile

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fluor_doublet/2885112644/sizes/l

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, interesting hybrid design - half planar, half plasmat. The front half is typical planar but the back half is like a wide angle plasmat.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Hmm, interesting hybrid design - half planar, half plasmat. The front half is typical planar but the back half is like a wide angle plasmat.

yeah, a bit like DG with 4 & 5 swapped Wink

or at least creatively exchanged... I guess that air gap helps too..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The airgap is significant. The Plasmat was originally referred to as an 'air-spaced Dagor'. A Dagor has a cemented triplet both front and back, whereas the Plasmat has the inner elements air-spaced from the other two. The designers used this air space like a fourth element,

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The airgap is significant. The Plasmat was originally referred to as an 'air-spaced Dagor'. A Dagor has a cemented triplet both front and back, whereas the Plasmat has the inner elements air-spaced from the other two. The designers used this air space like a fourth element,

brilliant thanks Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. Smile