Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is it possible to get 20-40:1 macro @ home?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Is it possible to get 20-40:1 macro @ home? Reply with quote

I need large magnified macro, so far I've tried:

Cheap +1+2+3 etc lens in front of telephoto lens. Works, but only kind of, also, gives high CA.

Wide angle lens mounted on bellows, better, but still not enough magnification.

Wide angle lens mounted on bellows+reverse mounted lens in front of it, even beter, but I want more Smile

Basically, my goal is, to make small (0.2x0.2mm) objects to appear as large as possible on cropped sensor, and ideally, fill up the frame.

I have various microscope parts, which I can adopt, but so far no luck, they require very close distance to objects to be filmed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for LWD (long working distance) microscope objectives. Some have "Ultra Long" and "Super Long" designations in their names.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy is doing a good job putting together a lot of info, something may be pertinent to your quest.

http://extreme-macro.co.uk/

addendum Steen Bruun has some interesting stuff using plossl eyepieces

http://www.gyes.eu/photo/photostart.htm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is about the area where cheap michrofiche reader lenses are optimised for (24x, 48x etc).
Controlling vibrations is key at those mags, so using a Xenon flash lighting system is advisable.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

photomacrography.net

browse forums there

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best way to do this is with a microscope objective, but short working distance is always a problem. The LWD objectives will get you 20mm of WD at 20x, and you can get a little more if you use a measurement objective.

Problem with any system working at these magnifications is extremely shallow DOF. I mean REALLY SHALLOW. You will need a stand capable of adjustment accuracy of a couple microns. It can't be done handheld.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOF and lightning is not a problem, since I need this setup to investigate fungus inside lens. Distance to object is most important.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best lenses for this kind of inspection work are the Nikon MeasureScope objectives. If you are looking for 20x, I'd suggest using a 10x MM objective (working distance is 49.5mm) and a 2x teleconverter. This will give you 20x but will also result in a reasonable NA for the work you're doing. It's hard to get that kind of working distance any other way...Ray

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousOne wrote:
DOF and lightning is not a problem, since I need this setup to investigate fungus inside lens. Distance to object is most important.

Is it not more easy to disassemble the lens?
So you get lower working distances, ans less abberations due to the glass between. Even flat glass would be a problem with such high magnifications - most mnicroscope lenses have stated for which thickness of cover glass they are constructed, some for no cover glass, some with variable cover glass thickness, but I know none for 10mm or more glass thickness.

Many lenses are not flat, so stitching would be needed to get a fair level of sharpness for documentation.

Here a fungus image I made - stitched, on a single lens:

Full size on my lens fungus basics page.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousOne wrote:
to investigate fungus inside lens. Distance to object is most important.

as far as I can see, fungus only is in deeper layers of the lens, so You might come in trouble with the working distance.
Is the targeted magnification really necessary?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a microscope, take a look and see if you can adapt any of my ideas.

http://forum.mflenses.com/nex-and-home-made-microscope-t57144,highlight,%2Bmade+%2Bmicroscope.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Parkhurst wrote:
Best lenses for this kind of inspection work are the Nikon MeasureScope objectives. If you are looking for 20x, I'd suggest using a 10x MM objective (working distance is 49.5mm) and a 2x teleconverter. This will give you 20x but will also result in a reasonable NA for the work you're doing. It's hard to get that kind of working distance any other way...Ray

Yep, a very clever idea! here is a 5x one, so you know how it looks like: http://www.macrolenses.de/ml_detail.php?ObjektiveNr=355

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swedish Nature Photographer of the year 2012, John Hallmen, has a great blog in Swedish about macro photography www.makrofokus.se. Here is a Google translated section on various options for getting in (really) close:

http://translate.google.se/translate?hl=sv&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fmakrofokus.se%2Fblogg%2F2011%2F12%2F29%2Falternativa-makroobjektiv.html&sandbox=1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody.

I want to get detailed pictures of fungus to investigate it's nature (determine the type), since certain types of fungus may permanently damage lens coating, while others - not, so it may not be reasonable to disassemble lens just for that. Also, sometimes, what you consider fungus, is not a fungus at all, as shown on this picture (the object dimension is about 0.4x0.15mm) it is on the inner side of rear lens of hexanon ar 135mm/3.5

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a very interesting project!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousOne wrote:
Thanks everybody.

I want to get detailed pictures of fungus to investigate it's nature (determine the type), since certain types of fungus may permanently damage lens coating, while others - not, so it may not be reasonable to disassemble lens just for that. Also, sometimes, what you consider fungus, is not a fungus at all, as shown on this picture (the object dimension is about 0.4x0.15mm) it is on the inner side of rear lens of hexanon ar 135mm/3.5

Looks like a lens fairy! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just see what Leeuwenhoek done at home already in the year 1670. 500x optical magnification: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonie_van_Leeuwenhoek
And the story of Delft, Holland was born Smile.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He didn't had camera attached Smile

I do have good quality lab grade microscope, but it is unusable for lens diagnostic.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The image quality you're showing could probably be achieved with a 4x or 5x objective with NA=0.1. You can either crop what you're interested in, or get a bit higher quality by using a teleconverter. I have a lens with fungus on inner surface (between elements, cannot be fixed) and would be willing to take a pic of it if you are interested. I'd probably just use a Nikon M5 objective for this as the quality is quite good...Ray

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Just see what Leeuwenhoek done at home already in the year 1670. 500x optical magnification: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonie_van_Leeuwenhoek
And the story of Delft, Holland was born Smile.

Very interesting. Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, photos of fungus are welcomed.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To demonstrate a couple different techniques, I took pics of a Tominon E36 MC 48mm f4 copy lens that has fungus growth between the first two cemented lenses in rear lens group. I used three lens configurations, and three processing techniques:

1. 3x Microscope Objective
2. 3x Microscope Objective with 2x Teleconverter
3. 10x Microscope objective with 2x Teleconverter

A. Full Sensor image downsized 4x
B. 100% Crop
C. 50% Crop downsized 2x

Here are the images:

3x Objective, full sensor downsized 4x

3x Objective, 100% crop

3X Objective with 2x Teleconverter, full sensor downsized 4x

3x Objective with 2x Teleconverter, 50% crop downsized 2x

10x Objective with 2x Teleconverter, full sensor downsized 4x

10x Objective with 2x Teleconverter, 100% crop

Compare the 3x Objective, 100% crop to the 3x Objective with 2x Teleconverter, 50% crop downsized 2x. The latter image is far superior due to the reduction of sensor distortions at pixel level.

This lens appears to have 3, possibly 4 different types of fungus. The purple color is delamination occurring around the fungal colonies, presumably due to chemical action from the waste products of fungus eating the cement holding the lenses together.

Note that the 3x objective required an 11-image stack; the 3x with 2x teleconverter required a 26-image stack; and the 10x with 2x teleconverter required a 36-image stack.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello

could you post a photo of your set-up for macro fungus shooting ? please

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, impressive!

But what you mean by "stack" ?

stack photos due to bad illumination to increase the brightness, as astronomy guys do?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousOne wrote:
WOW, impressive!

But what you mean by "stack" ?

stack photos due to bad illumination to increase the brightness, as astronomy guys do?

No.
He meant stack due to the small DOF.