Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

differences between miranda auto 1,9 and 1,8/50 miranda lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:10 am    Post subject: differences between miranda auto 1,9 and 1,8/50 miranda lens Reply with quote

I know that they are almost the same lens. But anyone knows the differences between both?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time.
One lens was supplied in the 1960s to early 1970s, up to the second version of the Sensorex I think.
Then it was switched to a 1.8 for later Miranda models.
I have a 1.9.
Its a normal 6 element type. I suspect the 1.8 is the same.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

I can buy a miranda G. It has the 1,9/50 lens.

And, separatelly, can buy a lonely 1,8/50 Auto Miranda..

I like miranda very much.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been looking at my Auto Miranda 5cm f1.9 and Auto Miranda E 50mm f1.8 lenses and I think there are some subtle optical differences between them. I think they are both 6-element 4-group designs but the reflections look slightly different for the two lenses. For example, the front element of the f1.9 looks to be less strongly curved than on the f1.8.

Since I have never actually used the f1.9 version (i bought it very cheap and only because it had a genuine Miranda bayonet rear cap) I cannot say if they perform differently.

There are also a few mechanical differences. The f1.9 is slightly shorter and has a 49mm filter thread. The f1.8 has a 52mm thread. Also, the aperture blades of the f1.9 are layered so the 'clean' side faces the film. On the f1.8, the clean side faces forward. Both have 6 blades. My f1.8 also looks like the aperture doesn't stop down by the correct amount, but that is by the by.

I also have the f1.8 in M42 mount (Miranda branded). It is basically the same as the Miranda bayonet f1.8, but has the aperture blades layered the other way around as per the f1.9. I have compared the M42 f1.8 to the bayonet f1.8 and I know there is no practical difference in performance. The reflections between the two f1.8 lenses also look the same, which gives me confidence there are real optical differences between the f1.9 and f1.8 versions.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SXR_Mark, thanks a lot.

I remember the photo magazines near of the 70's spoken about the 1,8 version like chosen by the NASA (¿¿??), with USA technology (¿¿?? again).

I didn't buy the miranda camera because did not firing and presumed that not simple or possible to repair. But purchased the 1,8/50 Auto Miranda lens, because like it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are both double gauss designs, but the 1.8 is entirely different from the 1.9 - I wouldn't be surprised if they were made by different companies even.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
They are both double gauss designs, but the 1.8 is entirely different from the 1.9 - I wouldn't be surprised if they were made by different companies even.

That was I have heard, because it I did the question.