Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon 5D MKI or Canon 40D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Canon 5D MKI or Canon 40D Reply with quote

Hi guys...
I have a chance to purchase one of those at really good prices. Pretty much same price for both ( $240 for D40 with 15K and $280 for 5D with 10K ), as D40 comes with comes with some extras ( grip , extra batteries ..etc ). Which one would be better for use with M42 and other manual lenses ? My main system is Nikon so I got old Nikon lenses covered Smile .

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5D produces better images, the 40D is a lot faster.
They are of similar quality.

If you have very good lenses (in the corners) the 5D will provide you with "fullframe", the typical angle of view.
The 40D will give you a "tele effect".

I used to have both and I liked them equally well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5D every time! You can use full frame lenses as intended, with a much better sensor. The only advantage the 40D has (IMO) is liveviee. The 5D has a bigger viewfinder too Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Thanks for replies ...I don't really have any experience with 5D MKI ...would this camera meter o.k with an adapter ? Seen some posts about mirror clearance issues ...would that really limit the lens selection ?
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metering is not really a problem IMHO. If it occurs, you can easily adjust. Just like in the "old days". Wink

Yes, mirror clearance can be an issue depending on the lenses you want to use. Some Nikkors are "problematic".
But since you buy a used 5D anyway, you might as well shave the mirror.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Thanks for reply Smile
Nikkors are covered by D7100...the reason I want to get Canon is to fully utilize M42 mounts with full infinity focus...I made a mistake to find this forum Smile ..and to try some of my manual stuff on D7100 ..which I gave up on with d70S because I had to use external(my old Sekonik ) light meter..and just was too "lazy" and time consuming to get right exposure lol. With the use of manual lenses on D7100 with Nikon mounts I'd found a new and fresh perspective for my photography...I actually had to stop and THINK about it...which I think AF lenses are to convenient to prevent that lol. After seeing sooooo many outstanding photos taken with old M42 mounts and emotional experience with doing that ...Nikon just wasn't there to allow me to "fully" enjoy them . Canon to me is the right balance with going to and from old to new .

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
5D every time! You can use full frame lenses as intended, with a much better sensor. The only advantage the 40D has (IMO) is liveviee. The 5D has a bigger viewfinder too Smile

+1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darrski wrote:
Hi
Thanks for replies ...I don't really have any experience with 5D MKI ...would this camera meter o.k with an adapter ? Seen some posts about mirror clearance issues ...would that really limit the lens selection ?
Thanks

Metering is accurate with current AF chips, however, metering systems are easy (for me) to fool...

Mirror clearance issues don't really limit lens selection in my experience. Some of those can be used focused at distances less than infinity. The only real tragedy for me is not being able to use my S-M-C Takumar 24/3.5, the only lens than I've owned that causes ERR when focused at any distance. There's a lens list someplace here at mflenses.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys
Thanks for all replies and advice Smile . 5D it is ...I'm going to pick it from the seller at the end of next week Smile . Now...to find a good adapter lol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Just have couple quick questions ...after searching and reading the forum ..most suggested to get good , quality adapter as some "cheap" ebay version can cause the lens to protrude more and cause the mirror to hit the lens ...is this one any good ?
http://www.fotodioxpro.com/m42-lens-to-canon-eos-camera-black-v-2-adapter-w-focus-confirmation-chip.html .
Another one...is anyone using Helio 44-3 . I have one coming ....and found this list ...

http://www.panoramaplanet.de/comp/index.html#Zenit

According to it ..mirror hits it
Crying or Very sad
Here is the lens

Thanks