Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My fav lens! (with pictures) Volna-9 50mm f/2.8 MACRO 1:2!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: My fav lens! (with pictures) Volna-9 50mm f/2.8 MACRO 1:2! Reply with quote

I've gotten this beautiful Soviet lens just last weekend. I only got to shoot with it for a short while because I'm still waiting for my M42 to Sony Alpha adapter...

...but I just couldn't wait and shot with it without the adapter! Turns out, you can control the dof when freelensing. Smile

I learned about this lens while looking for a cheap macro lens. My only lens is the Sony 18-55 kit lens. It's not bad but it's not great. It just didn't suit my style of photography (macros and close-ups). I didn't have a big budget and was going CRAZY to find a cheap but optically brilliant macro lens. I came across a forum here about the Volna-9 and I'm happily married to this beautiful lens. It's solid, heavy, and it's focusing helicoid rotates 360 degrees for precise focusing. It has 6 aperture blades that make charming hexagonal bokeh--not obvious in my pictures because I use it wide-open most of the time. The body isn't much to look at but the photos it produces blows my mind in every way.

Lens price: $150
I bought this at a local shop. I am lucky enough to have someone sell it in the Philippines Smile If you're from the Philippines and would like to get this lens. Here's the website: http://sovietcamerastore.com/

Check it out!:
*I did some color edits just to personalize the photos a bit so the original colors aren't very evident here.
The original colors that the Volna produces is very rich, contrasty, yet still retaining an authentic "organic" feel to them.

Petals by angelicwhisperer (see my sets!), on Flickr

mustard by angelicwhisperer (see my sets!), on Flickr

fairie residence by angelicwhisperer (see my sets!), on Flickr

Why blend in when you can stand out by angelicwhisperer (see my sets!), on Flickr

Earth by angelicwhisperer (see my sets!), on Flickr

The fairie's cabin by angelicwhisperer (see my sets!), on Flickr

Someday, I'll bloom by angelicwhisperer (see my sets!), on Flickr

My buddy, Bronx by angelicwhisperer (see my sets!), on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is a very nice lens. It can also do star bokeh Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for showing these images!
Ilike them much. The Volna 9 is on my "wanted" list since long - it has undercorrected spherical aberration, which gives smooth background bokeh.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lens indeed, I've got its little brother the Industar 61 L/Z

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I compared the Industar 61 L/Z, Pentax Super Takumar 50mm macro and the Volna 9. They where similar in terms of sharpness, but the Volna had the best bokeh Wink

Maginification is also less on the Industar compared to the Takumar and the Volna.