Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Wray Lustrar 4.5/6 inch
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Wray Lustrar 4.5/6 inch Reply with quote

I finally got around testing the Lustrar, probably a dialyt type lens from 1921, i.e. 4 elements in 4 groups, which means low contrast due to veiling glare and maybe half a stop losses, similar to a Cooke Aviar.

I've only tested the lens at the full f/4.5 aperture, and it seems to perform reasonably well - for a 9.99 GBP lens. Here are a couple of examples, the contrast has been adjusted:

However, like with the Aviar fully open, the bokeh can be rather distractive, and I must later on test the lens also stopped down. Here is a model example of the bokeh:

More photos at http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/eos350d_lustrar.html

Veijo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice lens with perfect colors and quite good wide open
#1 is very nice
I like the bokeh on #3 but not the left border of #2 where the cord is fuzzy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
I like the bokeh on #3

Well, it seems the perceived quality of bokeh is very much a matter of taste Smile That's the kind of bokeh I try to avoid at all costs because in a more complex scene it has an effect like this:

The upper part is Lustrar wide open, the lower part is Aviar wide open. The next pair is Uno f/7.7 wide open and Aviar at f/8, this is what I'm after:

Here there are no bright edge highlights, especially the Aviar is very clean in this respect. I'd like to find a lens which would be sharp but still behave like this also at larger apertures.

Veijo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fully with you Veijo,

that bottom shots look much better in term of bokeh, the top ones irritates the viewer (me) a bit.

I remember some tests I did some time ago with that lens, a dialyte type, which were nice, but I have to re-examine that first.

http://www.macrolenses.de/ml_detail_sl.php?ObjektiveNr=335

Cheers,

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very good example to show the different bokeh styles.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im afraid I like the former bokeh too, as Ive yet to learn to make bokeh anyways. Embarassed So that figures why I like the lesser proper bokeh... lack of expertise. Bokeh only happens to me by accident. But these bokeh are as oil paintings to me. Shocked Surprised

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

me too a newbee as to how to achieve it..
But sunday morning learned a valuable lesson here..What the Heck is Bokeh?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Bruce! Nice to have artistic eyes with us Very Happy

Nice link dakoo
R. W. Denney, Jr. wrote:
The inexpensive Zeiss Jena Sonnars provide a lot of bokeh quality for the buck
Specular highlights and other out-of-focus bright spots don't tell the whole bokeh story
Bokeh is subjective, but it is not an illusion