Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The frustrations caused by lenses that aren't right
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: The frustrations caused by lenses that aren't right Reply with quote

You travel to the place you want to shoot. You look carefully for an idea. You wander around until you find the right viewpoint. You carefully frame the scene. You wait patiently until the light and/or subject looks the way you want it. You shoot. You return home full of expectation. You get it on to the computer and view it. It disappoints:

1. Hanimex 4.5/80-210

Watched by giants by skida, on Flickr

2 CZJ 2.8/29, supposed to be hyperfocal range

Rock Pool by skida, on Flickr

I knew the Hanimex was highly suspect, having been dropped hard by the donor, but I hoped I could work around the focus problem. The Zeiss/Pentacon was a surprise in that it looked to be fine, but the result shows that the focus scale isn't accurate for some reason. Both shots Practika MTL50 and Vista 200.

Last edited by skida on Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always review the shot on the spot, zooming in to verify focus.
That's one of the huge advantages of digital in that you can spot and correct errors immediately.
I have seen many lenses with a focus scale that's off. In one case I have a lens where infinity seemed correct on film and 6mp digital but turned out to be off when zooming in at 12mp. But I could see that problem on the screen.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The incorrect thickness of the adapter will throw the scale way off, and if the lens was adjusted to match that adapter, it will now be way off on its native mount.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are both M42 lenses on an M42 Practika MTL50. The Hanimex has suffered some internal damage to the focusing system when dropped. The CZJ Wideangle just doesn't seem sharp anywhere. I am not too bothered - they were a gift, and I do have another 2.8/29 which is fine above f4. The Pentacon MC 1.8/50 (number 4 in my collection) is perfect.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's is annoying is infinity is not at the infinity stop on the lens....you would think it wouldn't make any difference (as you are not doing close ups) but some of my shots on some lenses are not sharp unless I focus just before the lens stop.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some good results from the CZJ 29. It has a reputation for being softer at the edges, so it's good and sharp on the NEX and K10. The biggest fault is that I find it low contrast, but that's easy to fix in pp.
I'd have thought it should be good on the MTL-5 as they have an excellent focusing screen.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MTL50 has an excellent 45 degree double split prism, but the Rock Pool shot was taken using Hyperfocal, though I did use the DOF preview and it looked OK, I can't understand why the rock is softer than stuff in front and behind. I just think the lens is a wrong'n.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atarget wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
some of my shots on some lenses are not sharp unless I focus just before the lens stop.

use your legs then Very Happy

Wink or better still adjust the infinity stop so the subject is in focus (at the stop).......I suppose for each of my annoying lenses there is a way of doing this esp my CZJ 35mm f2.4