Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron 90 / 2.5. 52BB, and a bit of winter sun.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Tamron 90 / 2.5. 52BB, and a bit of winter sun. Reply with quote

Carpenters Row, Coalbrookdale, this row of workers cottages were built around 1783, most of the eight are unmodernized and preserved by the Ironbridge Gorge Museum. The afternoon sun briefly shines on the front of the row highlighting the texture of the doors and window shutters.
The Tamron 52BB 90 / 2.5 Macro is the lens for job. All shot at ISO 200. 1/80 probably f2.5 or 3. Processed a bit, cropped but unsharpened.

This isn't from the Industrial Revolution, and there's a bit more processing. I like this Tamron, it's versatile, it does what I want it to do. I like that in lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know what you mean. I own a copy of the 52B flavor -- same thing optically, just doesn't have the rounded corners that yours has. My Tamron 90mm is probably the sharpest lens I own. Plus I get great color and saturation with it. Although I have six other lenses in four different mounts in focal lengths close to the Tamron, the 52B is my typical go-to lens for that focal length.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lloyd-Michael,I have both copies and agree beautiful glass,the lens shows the grain in the wood perfectly without sharpening.Nice shots with a great lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got some sunshine!
Nice shots of the old old doors. Many nice lenses I will probably never try.
Curious to see shots of the cottages if you have any. We used to have some old out buildings, but mostly they are now torn down.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely photos. It is a great lens, capable and versatile, just as you wrote.

But I wonder, comparing to what I showed here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-sp-90mm-and-teleconverter-and-extension-tube-comparisons-t63650.html

do you get a comparable amount of CA?

It very much depends on the light, sometimes it's absent, but when it's there, it's there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked through your photos in that link. The only bit of CA I saw was in some extreme examples and even it was very limited and easily taken care of. Like this one:

And here it is with almost all of the CA removed:

Or this one, that has taken on a reddish-purple cast:

And here it is with the cast removed.

These "problems" were easily handled in my image processing software. If I have a lens that exhibits chromatic aberrations, and if I can correct them easily in software, I don't worry about it. That Tamron 52BB of yours was showing CA in only the most extreme circumstances, and even then there was almost none. It is a very well corrected optic if you ask me.

BTW, your images also prove a point that I have often made here: a good teleconverter does not degrade the image. In fact, I have shown here, through tests I conducted, that a good TC can actually enhance an image, that is, it brings out more detail than was visible in the image taken without TC.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CA / fringing has never bothered me with this lens, it's minimal and easily corrected as it's not multicoloured. The bigger issue is the blue spot reflection, but again that is something that I can generally work around by a slight change in position and aperture. It's a problem I've found with a few other lenses as well, it's the flat rear element reflecting, and it doesn't stop me using the lenses at all.
I think the Tamron 90 does better than many other lenses of its length and type.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful daylight indeed, nice to see on foggy days.