Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Another Kiev
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Another Kiev Reply with quote

I finally got mostly caught up on my summer projects so I can start really enjoying film again.

I liked the 1957 Kiev IIa I got last year so much that I bought another Kiev. Can't wait for it to get here. I don't like the mint box on top but made in 1956 and looking good, I couldn't resist. http://www.ebay.com/itm/160737142752?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648 Any one ever buy from this guy before???? I think I will get a Helios-103 lense also.

I also bought a Fed 5C that looks great and a Industar-61 L/D 2,8/55 mm lens to go on it. Bill's pictures with his Fed 5C convinced me I needed one.

Last edited by Schnauzer on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Another Kiev Reply with quote

Looks to be a rather good, yet to me, an expensive buy. The condition seems to be awesome. Hope you like using it. Smile The Fed-5C is one of my favorite, simple Russian RF`s. It is very underrated.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding with the Fed 5C is, the rangefinder is very bright, clear and easy to use.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Let's hope it will be fine, great cameras but not easy to find perfectly working one , just for example I did test very carefully my own copy what I did trade with Bill , he did start to use it a damn camera did overlap each rolls to him Sad even more nasty I have several working one with zero issues. Ian's camera made in 1957 did stuck after a several rolls, need a bit luck to KIEV, difficult construction.
Fed5C looks too modern looking to me, I have several 5B I did use them once. Look forward your great shoots with new KIEV.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schnauzer wrote:
My understanding with the Fed 5C is, the rangefinder is very bright, clear and easy to use.

Yes, the VF is wonderful compared to other Fed`s. Also the frame lines are very helpful. I`m thinking about getting mine out and testing it with a roll Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it works as good as it looks in the pictures Attila. I talked to the guy by e-mail and he says it works perfect but who knows until you get it. I do love my Kiev IIa. I just put a new light seal in the back. If the new one doesn't work right, I am going to send it to this guy. In fact after I get this one and if it works good, I Will send him my IIa to be CLA'd.

http://mechanicalcamerarepair.com/Home_Page.php

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drack wrote:
Schnauzer wrote:

Yes, the VF is wonderful compared to other Fed`s. Also the frame lines are very helpful. I`m thinking about getting mine out and testing it with a roll Smile

I know Attila doesn't like the look but that doesn't bother me as long as it works right.

Yes, lets see some pictures.

Kind of hard here right now to take pictures. -22f degrees last night and it warmed up today to -9f degrees. Supposed to get real cold tonight and snow again tomorrow.. I love summer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad that is cold, luckily we have lot of choice I love KIEV/Contax same like you, from Leica type cameras I like Zorki-2C, FED-2 , no logical reason why Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Fed 5c - one of the last ones made - and it's probably the worst camera in my collection. Sad The build quality is abominable, and it looks even worse inside than it does from the outside... It's also a very large, awkward camera to hold.

I previously had a Fed 4, which may not look as stylish but was much better put together - although just as awkward handling. I don't think the viewfinder was any worse than the later 5c, in fact it even had a variable diopter which the 5c lacks.