Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Prinz Galaxy lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Prinz Galaxy lens Reply with quote

Hello,

Have anyone of you some experience with Prinz Galaxy lenses ? I saw some on ebay with small prices, mostly with T/T2 mount.
Thank you very much.

Cosmin.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pieces can be good one, but not expect too much. From a "noname" mark some copy can be good like Vivitar or Porst individual lenses but generally they maximum average lenses and lot worst than cheap Russian or East German lenses at least this is my experience. Another fact not smart to buy lot of cheap one instead of some good ones.This cheap lenses are unsellable if you found they not usable.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had one many years back on my Zenith 12xp - mediocre at best

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once there lived a Prinz in the Universar. After the old king died he was called Universaprinz. The story is true:
Click here to see on Ebay.de

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dixon's was a UK importer of lenses and bought from several makers, so there is no "Prinz Galaxy" maker, it could be from about anywhere (in Japan). I have several 35mm and 135mm lenses, als very different and quite different performance. Nothing to really write home about.

Cosmin: I have several 35mm wide angles, if you want one cheaply to try out, let me know...

Last edited by kds315* on Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Dixon's was a UK importer of lenses and bought from several makers, so there is no "Prinz Galaxy" maker, it could be from about anywhere (in Japan). I have several 35mm and 135mm lenses, als very different and quite different performance. Nothing to really write home about.

I have several 35mm wide angles, if you want one cheaply to try out, let me know...

That's my experience as well. I think Dixons bought lenses on the lowest price, never mind the quality, principle. The worst lens I've ever owned was a Prinz Galaxy 35mm thing, so bad I took it to bits just to see how badly made it was, and it was truly awful.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used in the 70's a zoom prinz 75-150 with a carena cam. Average, no bad.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A galaxy 135mm f3.5 preset might have some potential for some shots as it has fifteen blades...I bought a Zenit E with Helios 44-2 and this Galaxy lens, all for a £1. Well on a film camera I only wanted to waste 2 frames to test the 135mm out and the results were good. Of course the 44-2 was very good.
BTW the camera worked perfectly and the exposure meter was only a stop out, but I offered it free to someone and they didn't bothering replying so have given the body to a charity shop

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 300mm f5.6 its nice to use and works on all my cameras T mount but like everyone here says it is mediocre at best.

My lens (minus its mount)

sample pic and 100% crop. Bullfinch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well surely there must be at least one Prinz galaxy lens that's very good...it could be the last of the hidden gems Wink Anyway I'll test the M42 135mm preset again and decide whether to keep it or throw it away.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Well surely there must be at least one Prinz galaxy lens that's very good...it could be the last of the hidden gems Wink Anyway I'll test the M42 135mm preset again and decide whether to keep it or throw it away.

I hope you prove us wrong. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a few quick snaps and this lens is not bad and must be of use to someone as it has 15 blades e.g. portraiture when you don't want a razor sharp shot and the back ground with round bright lights (because of 15 blades). Anyway pay about £5 for it and you can't lose.

Galaxy 135mm f3.5 preset on film (which would be full frame)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Well surely there must be at least one Prinz galaxy lens that's very good...it could be the last of the hidden gems Wink

Well, I have a Prinz Galaxy 135/3.5 that's so bad it becomes an artist's tool. The thing about that lens, it was released long before color film became the norm, so it has huge OOF CA. Literally, the entire out-of-focus area becomes a colored rainbow! The rendering itself is Gaussian-smooth though, so it's a perfect tool for B&W portraits. But hardly usable for anything else. I wonder why these don't sell for a ton of money - like the infamous Trioplan, which is an even worse lens than that Prinz Galaxy. Oops, seems that I answered my own question: the little Prinz is just not bad enough Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
Well surely there must be at least one Prinz galaxy lens that's very good...it could be the last of the hidden gems Wink

Well, I have a Prinz Galaxy 135/3.5 that's so bad it becomes an artist's tool. The thing about that lens, it was released long before color film became the norm, so it has huge OOF CA. Literally, the entire out-of-focus area becomes a colored rainbow! The rendering itself is Gaussian-smooth though, so it's a perfect tool for B&W portraits. But hardly usable for anything else. I wonder why these don't sell for a ton of money - like the infamous Trioplan, which is an even worse lens than that Prinz Galaxy. Oops, seems that I answered my own question: the little Prinz is just not bad enough Smile

Sounds like an ideal lens for the Lomo crowd Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old preset Prinz telephotos make an excellent helicoid for a projector lens, the build quality is top Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed reading this thread. "You bought a lens at Dixons? What did you expect!"
Back in the 70s/80s lots of people did, judging by the number I come across. Maybe I should buy one, just to be rude about it.
I have a Sunagor 28mm that might be the same as the Chinon which is scary flary (came with a dead Zenit) and probably fit in the same category as the Prinz lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that 300mm, different (US distributor) brand.
It can be much sharper than that.
There is a lot of sample variation on these things.
Decentered lenses and wrong group spacing explain a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
The worst lens I've ever owned was a Prinz Galaxy 35mm thing, so bad I took it to bits
just to see how badly made it was, and it was truly awful.

I've got one "Prinz" lens -- a 35mm f2.8.
Will probably open it up sometime to fix the a/m switch which stopped working.
But -- at least on the Sony A57 with its 1.5x crop -- this one is actually a good lens!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnBar wrote:
The old preset Prinz telephotos make an excellent helicoid for a projector lens, the build quality is top Smile

We need pictures. I might have a doner? Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pictures. Pictures are for pussy cats Smile

Just follow these steps for the 2.8/135

1 Loosen 3 screws which retain the lens mount and remove the mount
2 Remove 3 screws on the focusing ring and slide it off to the rear of lens
3 Remove brass screw which acts as a focusing stop
4 Unwind the silver tube

Ta da --- you have a focusing helicoid of high quality, throw about 15mm and bore of 40mm

easy