Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Remove window reflection
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Remove window reflection Reply with quote

Dear all,
I am spending almost two hours per day sitting in a train. Luckily I use my camera(film) and I still keep shooting.
Some examples below: (well those two do not depict fully the problem, but on the first image you would be able to see some reflections, top-center between the leafs)

One of the thinks that limits me somehow are the windows reflections, where the indoor lamps become visible on the window.
Would a polarizer kill those? As my minolta x-700 measures through the lens I guess it will "automatically" adjust the exposure.

Would that be right?
Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks.. which means that as I turn polarizer effect should appear or disapper on the viewfinder.

Alex

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes exactly.
There are tons of sample pics and videos on the net
For example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgWB-yad7w0

But be sure not to buy a crappy one, there are HUGE differences in strength of effect and quality between the different filters.

I think Cokin has the the cheapest well usable ones

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use a linear polarizer for best results. Circular ones are it bit 'general' and only move a bit of the reflections.

Linear polarizers allegedly interfere with autofocus but I've never had a problem. With the X700 its no problem at all. The camera will compensate automatically.

If you can't find a linear polarizer, get a variable ND filter and unscrew the front element (there are two) and smash out the rear element, clean it up and screw the front back again. These filters have two linear polarizers working against each other.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
this is the most important advice I ever got! I have a panasonic one.. but I am not sure how good it is. Few questions though:
a. Polarizes does not look to have much effect on partialy obscured by clouds sun
b. Can it be stacked with other filters? Like UV filters and graduated filters.
c. Is polarizer useful is black and white photography or not?
d. can you give me an ebay link for a linear polarizer from ebay? I will just buy it

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problem stacking them.

just search for a 'linear polarizer' there are many used ones available. New ones made by Lee tend to cost about €200

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
c. Is polarizer useful is black and white photography or not?

Yes, it will have the same effect on reflections as in colour. For getting more contrast between clouds and blue sky a polarizer will work as well, but a yellow/orange filter may be more practical.