Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My British 'Ensign Selfix' cameras.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: My British 'Ensign Selfix' cameras. Reply with quote

The first 'Good Camera' I got in the 1950's was the British Ensign Selfix Model II with the 75mm f3.5 Ross Xpres lens -- sometimes it was sharp. mostly NOT so good !! After selling it for £10-00 to a Camera Club friend my Auntie Dora gave me her Selfix 820 then I was given a 12/20 and two 16/20 model I with the 75mm f4.5 Ensar lens which gave SHARPER results than the Xpres!
I did a 20x16" B&W Exhibition Print from a Model I Ensar lens and it won me the Landscape, Seascape, Skyscape trophy at my Club !

Selfix 8 by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Selfix 12 by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Selfix 16 by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Selfix ad by pentaxpete, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lovely camera and by all accounts comparing favourably with Voigtlander and Zeiss. This will be a 1953 model,so not suitable for my birth year collection.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The build quality of my Selfix's is better than that of my Voigtlander Bessas or my Zeiss Nettar. The Bessas and Nettar are well built, but the Selfix's are like tanks.

I have a Selfix820 with the 3.8/105 Xpres, I'd say it's sharper than the Xenar 3.5/105 I use on my Century Graphic, the Voigtar 3.5/105 and Skopar 3.5/105 on my Bessas. I have a 6x4.5 Selfix I forget the model number of now, that has an Ensar triplet and that's a good lens too although i think my Kershaw 6x6 folder with a triplet lens is a tad sharper.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking bunch, and +1 on the Ensign quality