Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pixel count, scaling and image quality
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Pixel count, scaling and image quality Reply with quote

Open question: suggest anything?

What is the effect of pixel count to a scaled image, say if you scale the image from 2000x3000 or 4000x6000 picture to 600x900 picture?

(this could also be in 'digital darkroom' but I think sensor technology has also something to do with this?)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you scale up or down in image size the program you use be it Photoshop, LightRoom, etc, interpolates the image pixels. Loss of IQ is most pronounced when you scale up, but you will lose sharpness going down too. When I scale a 100% RAW image to something smaller, I use the "Smart Sharpen" tool in Photoshop to make up for the IQ loss.

There is a software program called "General Fractals" which is supposed to basically let you up scale any image to billboard size with no loss in IQ but I have not really looked it. I am skeptical of their claims but cannot say one way or the other because I have never used it.