Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Let's talk Sony SLRs and SLTs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Let's talk Sony SLRs and SLTs Reply with quote

Ever since my A100 died, I've been unable to use my Minolta AF lenses on digital, and I've come to miss them, as they are very good.

So I'm thinking of getting another Sony camera, but the range confuses the hell out of me. I'm not really interested in another 10mp one.

I read that most of the DSLRs have tiny, dim finders, bu that wouldn't be too much of an issue as I'd be using AF lenses. The SLT cameras intrigue me, bu I have some concerns about the light loss due to the fixed mirror, how much of an issue is it in real world usage?

What are the EVFs in the different models like? Did the first generation SLTs have issues with their finders such as tearing, bad contrast etc?

Which models do people like? A good LCD screen would be a good thing, no obsolete 230k or 450k ones appeal to me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a57 is a decent middle of the road SLT with a nice LCD, but the EVF is a bit gash, partiucularly for manual focusing. Light loss is not a major issue...the 16MP sensor is excellent. The consequence is high ISO performance in the same ball park as the 18MP Canon DSLRs, rather than that of the Nex/Pentax/Nikon cameras.

I had this camera for two weeks but sold it because:

* I don't like the lack of top LCD and controls
* IBIS didn't meet my expectations (neither did electronic first front curtain)
* Just didn't do anything remarkable (I don't have any Minolta AF lenses anymore e.g. 50/1.7, 70-210/4 beercan, I found them poor by modern standards)

a58 is specced down as far as I remember, and the a33 and a55 were early SLT models. a65 is the one to go for as it has a far better EVF.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought an a55 little after slts came out, as I was extremely intrigued by the 10fps capability and the quick and continuous af in video mode - two features I rarely used, to be honest.
Anyway, about the light loss caused by the translucent mirror, I must say that is not noticeable, and I know that because since about a year I'm using the camera without the mirror - it can be removed: this obviously disables af.
Well, the light difference is not noticeable at all in normal use (i.e. not specific run tests), so I guess it should be around (or lower) 1/3 stop.
As for the viewfinder, I never had problems with my a55's one. Both the EVF and the LCD are good enough for focusing at narrower apertures, and it has focus magnification 7x and 14x when more accuracy is needed.
The main downside is the lack of compatibility with c/y lenses, imho: basically you'll be limited to m42's and mount replaced leica r's, but you gain access to the many excellent (and still relatively cheap) minolta af line.

All in all, in my opinion, the a65 for me is one of the best values out there in aps-c cameras (the a77 is simply amazing, but performance is similar, and price sensibly higher).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. No top LCD is annoying. I don't use high ISOs so not worried about that, SteadyShot doesn't bother me, I always kept it turned off on my A100 and A200.

What didn't you like about the 1.7/50? It's one of the very best 50s imho. What about the beercan didn't you like? It needs a deep hood, but otherwise, it's great, better than the Canon L 4/80-200.

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2012/03/24/minolta-70-210mm-f4-versus-canon-70-200mm-f4-l-is/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
I have bought an a55 little after slts came out, as I was extremely intrigued by the 10fps capability and the quick and continuous af in video mode - two features I rarely used, to be honest.
Anyway, about the light loss caused by the translucent mirror, I must say that is not noticeable, and I know that because since about a year I'm using the camera without the mirror - it can be removed: this obviously disables af.
Well, the light difference is not noticeable at all in normal use (i.e. not specific run tests), so I guess it should be around (or lower) 1/3 stop.
As for the viewfinder, I never had problems with my a55's one. Both the EVF and the LCD are good enough for focusing at narrower apertures, and it has focus magnification 7x and 14x when more accuracy is needed.
The main downside is the lack of compatibility with c/y lenses, imho: basically you'll be limited to m42's and mount replaced leica r's, but you gain access to the many excellent (and still relatively cheap) minolta af line.

All in all, in my opinion, the a65 for me is one of the best values out there in aps-c cameras (the a77 is simply amazing, but performance is similar, and price sensibly higher).

Cheers. I'm tempted by the A65, the one thing that stops me is I can't use my RF lenses and Hexanons on it, which is the greater part of my lens collection. It's just over 400ukp body only, which is very enticing, I just can't see it being my main camera though if I can only use my Minolta AF and M42 lenses on it.

So I'm probably looking at buying a secondhand Sony for 150-200ukp and then another mirrorless to be able to use the rest of my lenses.

Maybe Sony will pull their finger out and produce something like the A65 but with an E mount, I was hoping the A3000 would be the camera for me, but it's crap imho. It's 75% of the price of the A65 but has useless obsolete screen and EVF and really poor flimsy build quality.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:

Are these the only lens mount options that work easily on Sony DSLR's ?
I'm thinking the same as Ian and wanting a Sony so I can use the few nice Minolta AF lenses that I've got. I have plenty of M42 lenses, but also PK, OM, FD, CY, QBM and then the other stuff like M39 and Contax. I wouldn't be heartbroken if I couldn't use them, but I would like to know what would work on Sony DSLR's?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 50/1.7 was well beaten by several of my manual focus 50mm lenses (I'm going back a few years when I only used M42 lenses on my a100 and a200) for sharpness and contrast. I owned two copies and just didn't like them. The beercan had nasty purple fringing (again, I tried two copies).

I look back on time with the a100 and a200 with fondness though, and I briefly owned an a450 which was very nice too. Again, no top LCD though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony can only take M42 lenses. You can replace the mounts of some C/Y lenses with Leitax mounts, but it's expensive and the cameras are not good enough to warrant the cost IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony Alpha mount flange to focal is 44.50 mm, which is around 1mm shorter than pk, c/y and om.
I guess it's not enough for a bayonet to bayonet adapter.

AFAIK, only m42, medium format and interchangeable mount systems are adaptable.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Aanything wrote:

I'm thinking the same as Ian and wanting a Sony so I can use the few nice Minolta AF lenses that I've got. I have plenty of M42 lenses, but also PK, OM, FD, CY, QBM and then the other stuff like M39 and Contax. I wouldn't be heartbroken if I couldn't use them, but I would like to know what would work on Sony DSLR's?

Given the difference in register between Sony A mount and Nikon F and OM, adaptors should be possible, if they don't exist then there must be some other factor.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Lloydy wrote:
Aanything wrote:

Given the difference in register between Sony A mount and Nikon F and OM, adaptors should be possible, if they don't exist then there must be some other factor.

I guess it is something about the throat of the mount or the shape of the bayonets: fitting an m42 screw inside a larger throat bayonet mount is mechanically easy, but if the throats are similar and the bayonets complex, fitting one inside the other simply won't be possible.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I won't throw the Pentax away just yet. But I would love a DSLR to use the Minolta 500mm AF Mirror lens, or I get the AF adapter for the NEX? But one of the older Sony's might be had for similar money?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The older 10mp Sonys can be had really cheap on ebay, they are decent cameras, a bit plasticky and the finders are a bit small and dim, bu no worse than the consumer EOS in either regard really.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I guess I won't throw the Pentax away just yet. But I would love a DSLR to use the Minolta 500mm AF Mirror lens, or I get the AF adapter for the NEX? But one of the older Sony's might be had for similar money?

For the money of the official sony adapter you can buy a 14.2 megapixels sony a350, with tiltable screen, switchable optical/electronic viewfinder, and IBIS - which would be fully working with your minolta af's.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

For the money of the official sony adapter you can buy a 14.2 megapixels sony a350, with tiltable screen, switchable optical/electronic viewfinder, and IBIS - which would be fully working with your minolta af's.

This is what I'm thinking, I've got a 50 / 1.7, a 35-70 / 4 and a Tokina SD 70-210 as well as the 500 mirror. But only film bodies.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1.7/50 is a truly superb lens, just like the MD 1.7/50 but with AF, compared to the crappy Canon EF 1.8/50 it's light years better. The 4/35-70 is great too, apart from being a bit sensitive to flare and ghosting, but a good hood and avoiding pointing it at the sun cures that. I had the MF version of the Tokina SD 70-210, I rated it as so-so, but I didn't use it all that much before I sold it. You can always replace it with the truly excellent 'beercan' 4/70-210 for 25-30 quid. The 2.8/28 prime is common, cheap and excellent too.

There's loads more excellent Minolta AF lenses, you want the original 1985-1990 generation, from these the 28-85, 28-135 and 35-105, 75-300, 100-200 and 70-210 are all excellent, there are tohers, but that's just off the top of my head. The next generation also has a load of excellent lenses, in may cases optically the same, just with lighter plastic barrels. Then there's the xi generation, which are best avoided (with a couple of exceptions) as they are not so great and have very annoying power zoom. The 35-200 xi is worth having, it's surprisingly good for such a long zoom range. After that, the lenses become plasticky and not great at all, sadly.

Have a look at the lens database on dyxum.com.

Like Canon, old Sigmas don't work on digital Sony bodies, sadly, so those are best avoided.

I think now is the time to grab a collection of Minolta AF lenses because they are still really cheap and if we see the advent of affordable FF bodies from Sony soon, then the prices of the old but excellent Minolta glass is going to soar.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can't see the value of Minolta AF lenses soaring, Sony have had ff and crop cameras out for years and this hasn't happened (as the newer lenses are better for a start).

BTW, I've not had issues using old Sigmas on Sony DSLRs, although I understand the SLT models are more prone to issues.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newer lenses are better? Which ones? Some of the Sony lenses have terrible performance, such as the 18-70 kit lens. A blanket statement about the new lenses being better is full of holes, sorry.

Here's one hole - the people at lenstip did a very comprehensive head-to-head test of the old Minolta AF 1.7/50 vs the current Sony DT 1.8/50 and the Minolta is, overall, the better lens. Doesn't surprise me because I've owned the 1.7/50 since 1993 and I know how good it is, a much better lens than the Canon EF 1.8/50:

http://www.lenstip.com/121.1-article-A_history_of_Sony_Alpha_-_Minolta_AF_50_mm_f_1.7_versus_Sony_DT_50_mm_f_1.8_SAM_Introduction.html

One key area where the older Minoltas are a lot better is in build quality. Build quality is important to me - it's one big reason I've abandoned Canon, they sell awful junk that falls apart like the EF 1.8/50 and EF-S 18-55. Sony are culpable of selling similarly flimsy junk too whereas the old Minoltas are superbly well built. If I buy a lens,I want to know it will survive regular use without me having to worry it will fall apart.

There are many old Sigmas that won't work on Sony digital bodies, off the top of my head they include the 3.5/18, 2.8/24, 75/300 APO, 2.8-4/28-70, before buying any old Sigma for A mount, it is important to check with people who have tried that particular lens on a Sony body.

Up until this point, FF Sony bodies have been expensive items and the people who would buy them would also buy the latest high-end glass to go with them. If affordable FF bodies appear, a good number of the people that buy them will want affordable or even downright cheap FF glass to go with them, that's why I suspect the prices may rise.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using Sony A580 since well over a year now and I'm quite happy with it. It was the last DSLR before they launched the SLT. Still no top LCD. Also the bracketing is in 0.7 range only so limited options for HDR. But the image quality is pretty good. You should be able to find a SH body cheaply from CEX or similar.

Here in Finland, one of the shops has a brand new A65 body for €499 for a while. I'm tempted to switch but many reviewers talk negatively of SLT's ISO performance. Snapsort also rates a580 higher than a65.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, if you want a nice body with a good viewfinder take a look at the a700 an impressive camera built from magnesium, can be had for under 200 these days and a very capable camera
The slt cameras i have never noticed an issue with the light drop off, and the range of lenses are great i have the folloiwing
35-105, 24-85, 28-85,50 f1.7, 35-70, 80-200f2.8 100mm macro really all top class

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Newer lenses are better? Which ones? Some of the Sony lenses have terrible performance, such as the 18-70 kit lens. A blanket statement about the new lenses being better is full of holes, sorry.

Here's one hole - the people at lenstip did a very comprehensive head-to-head test of the old Minolta AF 1.7/50 vs the current Sony DT 1.8/50 and the Minolta is, overall, the better lens. Doesn't surprise me because I've owned the 1.7/50 since 1993 and I know how good it is, a much better lens than the Canon EF 1.8/50:

http://www.lenstip.com/121.1-article-A_history_of_Sony_Alpha_-_Minolta_AF_50_mm_f_1.7_versus_Sony_DT_50_mm_f_1.8_SAM_Introduction.html

One key area where the older Minoltas are a lot better is in build quality. Build quality is important to me - it's one big reason I've abandoned Canon, they sell awful junk that falls apart like the EF 1.8/50 and EF-S 18-55. Sony are culpable of selling similarly flimsy junk too whereas the old Minoltas are superbly well built. If I buy a lens,I want to know it will survive regular use without me having to worry it will fall apart.

There are many old Sigmas that won't work on Sony digital bodies, off the top of my head they include the 3.5/18, 2.8/24, 75/300 APO, 2.8-4/28-70, before buying any old Sigma for A mount, it is important to check with people who have tried that particular lens on a Sony body.

Up until this point, FF Sony bodies have been expensive items and the people who would buy them would also buy the latest high-end glass to go with them. If affordable FF bodies appear, a good number of the people that buy them will want affordable or even downright cheap FF glass to go with them, that's why I suspect the prices may rise.

Ian, sorry but it's your response that's full of holes.

Firstly, the Sony a850 was around for ages and available for prices similar to the A7 and the a900 was available for prices close to the A7r. Secondly, I've owned the old Sigma 24/2.8 AF and it worked perfectly. As did the 28-70/2.8-4 and the 75-300! The 75-300 was pretty rubbish though.

In terms of build quality, I agree that the older lenses are better, that's one of the reasons we all like manual lenses. But the Canon EF 50/1.8 Mk I was built far better than the Mk II, so that's what should be compared with the Minolta 50/1.7 i.e. a lens from the same era.

With regards newer lenses being better on digital, the beercan gives unacceptable amounts of purple fringing at wider apertures, is heavy and has slow screw drive AF. Newer lenses control fringing better (unless you are using film I guess) and have faster AF.

MAF lenses are not suddenly going to rocket in value...those splashing out for the latest ff body will likely want the best lenses too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
Ian, if you want a nice body with a good viewfinder take a look at the a700 an impressive camera built from magnesium

Easily the nicest to use crop DSLR produced by Sony.

bhargav wrote:
I have been using Sony A580 since well over a year now and I'm quite happy with it.

Whereas this one has the best IQ.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,

+1 tae what Eddie said above. Have a used A700 since (nearly new)was only @ 6 months old, when I got it. excellent LCD, viewfinder, build(weatherproofed areas). Handles all my M42 lenses( ah use a Fotodiox ,plain adaptor). Oh, and Sigma 75-300APO works on it - ah know, ah have one.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two main issues with Sigma not work
(should maybe write a faq about that?)

The 1987 protocol change (very old third party lenses, some only partially ie there are newer models that do work) Affected are Tokina, Sigma glass that is very old and usually there is a warning on dyxum, like with 2.8-3.5 75-200 or what that lens was again..

Then the SLT issue. Said to be a problem with "aperture control". Whatever it is, it affects almost all lenses, and they cant be really fixed (would be easier for Sony to do that I guess) because Sigma doesn't have the parts and if they do (for say 2008 lens) they will charge comparably to a full used lens

So it comes to this: if you never need SLT, most Sigmas will just work fine. One of the best lenses ever, the sigma 50/2.8 1:1 UC macro, is from 1993 or so and works perfectly fine on my a230.

I don't know whether the 50/1.7 is as good as its price, I always was too stingy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the q of mounts to adapt

the ffd is nice (take that nikon!) but not so much allowing as mirrorless usually is
If you want to adapt everything try a nex maybe

Another issue is that for uncommon mounts the adaptors are quite rare and expensive. To a stingy person like me, 50 bucks buys a whole lens. So even IF you could technically adapt whatever, Nikon? it is just hassle.

So there is M42, and T2. And M42.
And maybe YS if you obtain YS-PE butt. (PE=M42)

Even the MD->MA adaptors are not traded widely. They would be good for macro only anyway if you take out the glass if any.

There are Sigma TCs that take MD and make them MA. I hear they are good. That's all you will hear because these things go like Leicas if they ever show up on auctions.