Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Prakticar 35mm f2.4 differences to M42 Flektagon
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Prakticar 35mm f2.4 differences to M42 Flektagon Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, so please be tolerant to my poor knowledge:)

I have an opportunity to buy Carl Zeiss Prakticar 35mm f2.4 praktica B mount for 100 USD and I would like to know if there are any differences except the mount from flektogon 35 2.4? I am especially concerned about the minimal focus distance which makes Flek incredibly versatile and great, I would not like to loose this on this prakticar. Is this lens equal to flek in this way too?

The second thing is the mount, I am buying from a guy who tested it on nex5 and also Canon, however I am a bit concerned if I will be able to focus infinity on my EOS 600D. He assured my that there should not by any problems with mirror, because he tested it on his fullframe and it was ok. Does anyone have some experience with this too?

Thank you very much, love this forum, great inspiration!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I know. I have disassembled both and they look identical internally.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same lens. Exactly.
Bookmark Koji's gallery.
(A must have)
http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/mylens_prakticars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, nice to see you here!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PB version won't focus to infinity on any Canon DSLR without being adjusted/butchered. It hits the mirror on my full frame 6D, and as far as I'm aware any adapters that claim they can achieve infinity focus really mean that if you stop down to f/11 then you'll be close enough, which is nonsense. Happy to to be proved wrong by someone else though!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW the Flek 35/2.8 usually sells for less in M42 mount than the 35/2.4, but has equally good close focus capabilities. It's only the really old models, like the alu version which don't focus close (I think).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PB is latest version you can expect better coating, than black M42 if not ruined before by DIY Joes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1956 M42 silver Flektogon 2,8/35 will "close focus" somewhere aound 18-20 cm....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The infinity adjustment of the PB version is trivial, takes a minute with a small screwdriver, no butchery required. There are three small set screws to loosen set at even spacing around the outside of the barrel, you loosen them, move the focus ring a bit short of infinity then tighten.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both lenses look identical on the inside, but prakticar hit my 5D II mirror at about 5m, while M42 focuses to infinity. Prakticar will focus to about 20m with the adapter. Like it was said infinity adjustment is trivial for Prakticar, not so M42 (I still havent figured out how).
I guess the coating on Prakticar are the same as on the M42 with red MC. Both excellent, a tiny amount of flare when Sun is in the field.
I think both focus the same to 22cm.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Many thanks! Reply with quote

Thank you guys very much for all the answers. The sellers claimed that he had no problems with mirror hits even on his 5D II. So I think that it should be good on crop too, however I pretty much believe what you are writing here. So the modification lies in focusing the infinity first, loosening the screws on the mount, turning the focusing ring away from infinity a bit - like from infinity to 3m? Or even more? Than puting the screws back into firm position. I have never disassembled any lens:) so is this unskillful people safe?Smile And what are the consequences for the lens - I hope that infinity just becomes 3m and 3m becomes 2m and so forth? Than the minimal distance will be somewhere beyond its mark but the whole focus range will be still accessible.

Thank you very much!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps some of the mount has been removed as well (as that is what hits the mirror I believe)?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The infinity adjustment of the PB version is trivial, takes a minute with a small screwdriver, no butchery required. There are three small set screws to loosen set at even spacing around the outside of the barrel, you loosen them, move the focus ring a bit short of infinity then tighten.

So I did with mine too.

In my case using an old 5d classic I never had mirror problems.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Perhaps some of the mount has been removed as well (as that is what hits the mirror I believe)?

I think that the mount does not move when focusing, then it would either hit the mirror on not hit. I used the lens with the aperture pin and the plastic ring that protects the pin removed. In my case, the rear element on the PB version just protruded more than the M42 and it was hit by the mirror.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rafa1981 wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

So I did with mine too.

In my case using an old 5d classic I never had mirror problems.

Perhaps your adapter was thicker than mine then.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammo wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

I think that the mount does not move when focusing, then it would either hit the mirror on not hit. I used the lens with the aperture pin and the plastic ring that protects the pin removed. In my case, the rear element on the PB version just protruded more than the M42 and it was hit by the mirror.

Doesn't that signify optical structure is somehow different? Might be only some in-between elements distances?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
sammo wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

Doesn't that signify optical structure is somehow different? Might be only some in-between elements distances?

The same optics, the rear (lens element) retaining metal ring is about 2mm longer for Prakticar 35/2.4 than Flektogon 35/2.4's.
I think that it is the main reason why 5Dc mirror hits the lens' rear block, off course some protector shroud at the mount too.
The most of Prakticars were hit by the mirror of (my) 5Dc, so I shaved the mirror. I cannot tell you now which one was safe,
my memory is fading rapidly due to my old age dementia. Very Happy

BTW Prakticar 35's MFD = 0.22m, whereas Flektogon can go less than 0.2m. This is only (main) difference between those two.

Last edited by koji on Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Koji!