Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The lens bug. Not a LBA story.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: The lens bug. Not a LBA story. Reply with quote

It would be funny if it wasn't true. Well it probably still is funny for you, but certainly not for me.

I am among those who fear putting lenses in air-proof plastic. I display them openly or half openly (partially covered). But i've encountered a serious problem.
A lens bug.

This creature really loves manual focus lens atmosphere. It inhabited 4 of my lenses through time already. I am afraid it will reach some of more expensive ones.
Do you have an idea of how to fight it? And what evil animal that is in fact?

Here few shots out of recently invaded Fuji EBC 1.6/50mm.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to consult an expert Razz (in insects Razz)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks similar to the bugs i had eating the glue under the wooden flooring in the one flat I rented, used to gather them together and fed them to my praymantis!!

You could probably kill them off with a uv bath, which will also kill off any eggs they might have laid but I would suggest a good insecticide or fumigation to cut them off at the source in the house if you're not sure where they are coming from.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember reading about such things (mites?) a long time ago .... afaicr, the solution was said to be the same as for when
there's a suspicion of wood-boring insects in items from abroad like kukri handles .... at least a week in an airtight bag in the deep freeze.
But perhaps care would need to be taken not to freeze and defrost too rapidly.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, bad thing. Future fungus alarm :-/
In one lens I found fungus around a dead insect - I htink they are ideal fungus starters.

But I don´t have a good idea how to prevent this, sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
Oh, bad thing. Future fungus alarm :-/
In one lens I found fungus around a dead insect - I htink they are ideal fungus starters.

But I don´t have a good idea how to prevent this, sorry.

Let me add what you see on photos might only be remains of the insect. The hairy thing is so light i suspect the creature left already.
Little less fear for fungus but still darn ugly.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys asked around Google+ and Deb Yarrow http://www.inluminis.com/ and Bart Declercq (confirmed it) diagnosed it as a Carpet Beetle Larvae

Know you know what it is and where it comes from Smile

Edit:> wow didn't know that is was possible and didn't know that it was suck a big file from flickr. Sorry Smile corrected.

Last edited by Dogtag on Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dogtag would you be so kind and resize the bug picture.
Btw, I didn't know that there is a possibility to post those sizes.
Macheck

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carpet beetle as the name implies live in or near fabric, fur or leather. so look in the insides of your lens cases (often fabric lining) Or you just have a larger problem and the reside in your (presumably) carpet. Check the carpets and use bugspray on the lens cases. If not worky: kill it with fire Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kill it with FIRE!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for solving it. Another suggestion came up on Slovene forum - Anthrenus Verbasci larva:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Thanks for solving it. Another suggestion came up on Slovene forum - Anthrenus Verbasci larva:

That is the latin name for the varied carpet beetle. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest you participate the the photo contest of Best Picture of Stuff Inside a Lens @ Lensrental.com. Wink

http://forum.mflenses.com/lensrental-com-photogeek-photo-contest-t62296.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1, I was going to suggest the Lensrentals contest as well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How the hell does an insect get inside a lens? I wouldn't have thought there were opening to allow it access.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
How the hell does an insect get inside a lens? I wouldn't have thought there were opening to allow it access.

From the mount side is sometimes much room, and around the iris are sometimes holes inside.
In zoom lenses is much more room for insects to go in.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

May infected in factory or once when lens was open I found also numerous time in lenses them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

There must be a way of letting air in because the moving elements in focusing and zooming need to displace air. That's what causes dust in lenses (isn't it?)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

There must be a way of letting air in because the moving elements in focusing and zooming need to displace air. That's what causes dust in lenses (isn't it?)
yes, right.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar sized bug in a Cimko 135, and it was OK as it was dead and was always at the bottom and out of line of the optics. I took the lens apart and got it out in the end.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

From the mount side is sometimes much room, and around the iris are sometimes holes inside.
In zoom lenses is much more room for insects to go in.

Yes in this case plenty of space. See aperture moving lever:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on winning an award. Very Happy

Last edited by tao on Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:55 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!!! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! And for suggesting the contest.