Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

nex 5r + flashes
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: nex 5r + flashes Reply with quote

I need help because I can't figure out how to do:
I'd like to use my nex to trigger two off-camera minolta/sony flashguns.
I guess I'd need a remote flash trigger - wireless would be better - and a hotshoe adapter for the nex.
Will it work? Am I forgetting something? Does adapters to sony/minolta flash exist for nex? Or can I find a trigger with standard connector communicating with receivers with minolta/sony connector?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a. There are some wireless trigger made for nex 3 and 5. This should work best outdoor. Click here to see on Ebay

b. If one of your flash has PC sync port...
Buy a hot shoe adapter for nex with PC sync port Click here to see on Ebay and a PC sync cable. Connect it to one of the flash. Trigger the other flash by light. If your another flash do not have the light trigger function , use optical slave flash trigger attached to the hot shoe.

c. Use the flash comes with the camera to trigger other two flash by light(through optical slave flash trigger if your flash does not support light trigger). I use this method to trigger my YN560-III.

For light trigger methods, you will need to turn off the pre-flash(Red Eye Reduction) on the NEX to make the flash fire at the right time.

Keep in mind the sync speed of Nex 5 series is only 1/160s no matter which method you use. TTL is not supported with any method above.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks For the very useful info Calvin.
One of my flashguns is triggerable by the on camera flash, I'll get one of those slave triggers for the other one.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Flash adapter to Sony NEX cheaply available on Ebay, it works with any kind of wireless triggers and old flashes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
a. There are some wireless trigger made for nex 3 and 5. This should work best outdoor. Click here to see on Ebay

Buy a hot shoe adapter for nex with PC sync port Click here to see on Ebay and a PC sync cable. Connect it to one of the flash. Trigger the other flash by light. If your another flash do not have the light trigger function , use optical slave flash trigger attached to the hot shoe.

c. Use the flash comes with the camera to trigger other two flash by light(through optical slave flash trigger if your flash does not support light trigger). I use this method to trigger my YN560-III.

For light trigger methods, you will need to turn off the pre-flash(Red Eye Reduction) on the NEX to make the flash fire at the right time.

Keep in mind the sync speed of Nex 5 series is only 1/160s no matter which method you use. TTL is not supported with any method above.

Can one turn off prefalsh on a NEX5r? I though that it could not be turned off on any NEX, and that therefore a slave flash, to synchronize, must have a function that ignores the preflash and fires with the second 'main flash', Yongnuo flashes have it and call it 'S2' mode ( slave function 2 )

The ( cheap ) wireless trigger that is reported to work on NEX is the Yongnuo RF-602, the later model RF-603 must be modified adding a resistor to work with a Sony, there are instructions om how to modify on the net. The RF-602 also is smaller and recommended. ( here on NEX6 which has hot shoe: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52064341 )

( I also bought a Yongnua YN560III, S2 syncronizes with my NEX5N, but both NEX adapter and the RF-602 have not yet arrived, will report once I am using them )

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

Can one turn off prefalsh on a NEX5r? I though that it could not be turned off on any NEX, and that therefore a slave flash, to synchronize, must have a function that ignores the preflash and fires with the second 'main flash', Yongnuo flashes have it and call it 'S2' mode ( slave function 2 )

The ( cheap ) wireless trigger that is reported to work on NEX is the Yongnuo RF-602, the later model RF-603 must be modified adding a resistor to work with a Sony, there are instructions om how to modify on the net. The RF-602 also is smaller and recommended. ( here on NEX6 which has hot shoe: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52064341 )

( I also bought a Yongnua YN560III, S2 syncronizes with my NEX5N, but both NEX adapter and the RF-602 have not yet arrived, will report once I am using them )

We cannot turn off the TTL preflash but only the Red Eye Reduction. The Red Eye Reduction need to be turn off to let the 'S2' mode work properly.

BTW, the receiver is build-in in YN560III, we only need the RF-602TX to work with the YN560III.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right!
therefore I thought it important to mention that the flash 'needs' to be able to ignore the preflash, hopefully the Minolta / Sony flashes the OP wants to use can do that.
and yes, I figured to pay the 10 Euro premium for the 560III over the 560II because that means that I won't have to carry the receiver. I did not find where to buy the transmitter RF-620 alone though and got the set, shall have the separate receiver too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for some still works I use my metz 58 as a Servo and i use the nex small flash at minimum power to trigger the big one, using a credit card or some wihte cardboard to bounce the light of the nex flash to avoid direct light on the subject

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is to confirm:
NEX5N + cheap ebay NEX hotshoe adapter ( Wansen ) + Yongnuo RF-602 transmitter + it's receiver + Yongnuo flash ( resp. Yongnuo 560 III with it's built in receiver ) work fine!