Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Russian "A" Lens adapter problem
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Russian "A" Lens adapter problem Reply with quote

Hello all. I recently purchased three vintage nikon "A" adapters online for my Tair 11a, Mir 10a and MTO-11CA lenses. The all seems to be virtually identical but one will not mount...

I am guessing that the flanges might be too thick for whatever reason and am considering filing the adapter down... but, in case it is really an "A" adapter for some other camera type I wanted to check to see if anyone has ever had this problem and I would hate to destroy an "A" adapter out of ignorance. The adapter on the left fits my Nikon D800 and D70.... the one on the right does not (inserts but will not turn to click in place.)

I am attaching pics... any advise appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Russian "A" Lens adapter problem Reply with quote

Goedric wrote:
Hello all. I recently purchased three vintage nikon "A" adapters online for my Tair 11a, Mir 10a and MTO-11CA lenses. The all seems to be virtually identical but one will not mount...

I am guessing that the flanges might be too thick for whatever reason and am considering filing the adapter down... but, in case it is really an "A" adapter for some other camera type I wanted to check to see if anyone has ever had this problem and I would hate to destroy an "A" adapter out of ignorance. The adapter on the left fits my Nikon D800 and D70.... the one on the right does not (inserts but will not turn to click in place.)

I am attaching pics... any advise appreciated.

Your pictures wont show up on the first post, it's an anti spam measure, so we just repost your post.

I'm not a Nikon man, but one will be along shortly.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens mount looks like a Nikon T-mount. You could take out the ring from the 'A'mount and try the adapter on the lens. If it wont fit, then file a bit out from the inside of the adapter. My Jupiter 11 needed this but the 11A was no problem. Just a manufacturing variance.

Nice lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adapter is fine on the lens... it is definitely an "A" adapter for the Russian "A" series... one of them just does not like my Nikon bodies. My best guess is manufacturing variance... I am thinking that the flanges are too thick... and are catching on the body. It looks to me like the problem one has file marks like maybe someone solved the problem once before for their camera.... maybe if I shave off a hair more it will work fine.

Like I mentioned, I got three seemingly identical adapters and the other two work perfectly. This one mounts fine on the lens, but wont mount on the camera (with or without the lens).

I was just worried that there was some other "A" adapter version for some other camera like a pentax or something that might look like a Nikon... in my ignorance, I just dont know if there is a non-nikon bayonet mount that is almost identical to Nikon... that's the dilema before I start filing... Smile

I am going to hold off "altering" the adapter till I know for sure. The other two are working fine on my Tair 11a and Mir 10A... this one would go on the MTO-11CA, but maybe I dont need it. Online it says that there is significant over infinity focus on the MTO-11CA so I could maybe mount a standard M42 Nikon adapter on it and still have infinity focus.... or I could buy another AP N/K adapter...