Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Information about a Viv 135 2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Information about a Viv 135 2.8 Reply with quote

Hi guys, first post on forum,
I've bought for 10 bucks a Vivitar 135 mm 2.8 (not close focusing) with an o/om mount and waiting it to be delivered. I've read every post about it on this forum, but they are all really old, so waiting to use it, i would be glad if you can share some opinions on it and most of all, some other photos. Mine it's a Komine one, so i hope it would be a keeper.
Thank you everyone, have a nice day

Sorry mine isn't a fluent english

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'll start the ball rolling and say....it's a good lens on a film camera and if I didn't have a CZJ Sonnar 135mm would probably use it more.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha old posts, there are a few, but the lens it self was very old when they were made. Any comments or tests would still be valid now.
Congratulations on getting this bargain. Most 3rd party 135's are pretty good anyway but a Komine made Vivitar will be better than most.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Excalibur, it's a good lens - I have two, a Canon FD and a Pentax PK, and I like them. But I also have some other 135's I like a bit more so I don't use the Vivitars.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted about one a couple years back. I liked it, but like others, I have the Series 1, Tair-11, Meyer, and Komura, so it would not get much use. Reluctantly sold it. Here are three examples using a short extension tube...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@pandakoala,

I wouldn't rely to much on woodrim's opinion....

He as a tendency to make just about any lens look good.... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Wed May 04, 2016 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the secret... Point, focus, click. Looking back through my folder of images from that lens, it really was quite good. It was near mint and I too paid only $10 for M42 mount. It just gets down to how many lenses do we really need - or even want. I'll always first pick up one of the others I mentioned, so I try (as hard as it is) to be (semi) practical about it. And even after saying this, I'd buy the elusive Trioplan if I found one for a good price.

pandakoala: You have stumbled upon a very good lens for cheap. That's good, but my advice is to try to resist buying lenses on price alone. This is advice that has been repeated many times in this forum to many people. Those people then offer the same advice after buying many lenses on price. The exception would be if the hunt and subsequent discovery is what gives you pleasure. Still, I suggest making a short list for each focal length you would like to have. There is plenty here to help make that list, you just have to sort through it all. After knowing what you want, then buy when the deal is good.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"lens whisperer" was so funny!!!!!
Thank you all for the answers.
@woodrim, thank you so much for your shots, i've seen some of them in the topics i read.
I was looking for some cheap 135 mm for portraits and macro (with tubes) and i searched among the cheap lenses with a good ratio money/value, so i read more than one considered this a nice lens, and for 10 bucks i thought it could be a deal, so not so blind search!

I'm not a compulsive buyer and i hope this Vivitar could give me some interesting shots.
When i'll find a deal i would like to pick up a 44-m helios, which is common and cheap, and as i saw around the internet, relatively sharp , (love the bokeh)

Sorry to bother you, have you still some pics without the tubes, merely with the 135?

Ps, Am i able to suscribe this post? I thougt i did it but never received the notifications

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having looked through my photos, I have very little to offer that wasn't a close-up, either with or without tubes. Sorry.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it doesn't matter, you were really kind, i just have to wait to receive this lens and make some tests

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came across these taken with my Vivitar 135, this was without tubes and is straight out of the camera ( Pentax K10 )

It's a lens I used a lot, and got good results from it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Lloydy
Thank you so much, good results Cool !!!!!
I Hope mine would arrive soon to test it! Can't wait

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arrived today!!!
Just did some test shots, it seems to me very very sharp, with almost no ca even wide open.
So happy!!!,
Tomorrow if I can, i would upload some shots Very Happy Mr. Green

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all wide open, not bad, I have to find some spare time to really test it

only some test shot

first should be 5.6

Last edited by pandakoala on Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Vivitar 135mm f2.8 (serial number 28319217) which was used with a Canon FTbn in pre-digital days.
It 's a good lens, that one day will come back into infinity-focus use on a slimmer camera than my present Sony A57.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least the first image is not likely to be wide open since it shows the octagonal shape of the diaphragm. Good images. Hope you enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, for sure, i should have messed up while uploading,
the others are 2.8, the first, should be at 5.6, but i have to check it.
Hope to use it soon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is THIS the Vivitar 135mm f2.8 ? this is Pentax K fit and it was free with a Cosina camera

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it is!!!!
I find it very interesting lens!!! You have to try it

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your fortuitous find.
The Vivitars in 135mm made by Komine are splendid lenses.
Here is mine:

and a sample:

Happy snaps
OH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this was really stunning!!!! Congrats!!!!
I'm now in love with this lens. Wanna do some portraits,I just have to wait a while

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pandakoala wrote:
I'm now in love with this lens. Wanna do some portraits,I just have to wait a while

I'm happy for you. You stumbled on a great lens and had some encouraging advice and comments from the members here. Using manual lenses and old cameras can be a lonely pastime and people consider you odd but here in the forum its perfectly normal.

Heres to the next love of your life, I guarantee the viv will be gathering dust as you fondle your bargain Biogon reading our comments on what a wonderful lens it is.

It gets you like that. Again and again!

Then a couple of years later a newbie will come and show us what he's just bought. You'll dust off yours to show him how good it is and fall in love all over again.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
pandakoala wrote:

I'm happy for you. You stumbled on a great lens and had some encouraging advice and comments from the members here. Using manual lenses and old cameras can be a lonely pastime and people consider you odd but here in the forum its perfectly normal.

Heres to the next love of your life, I guarantee the viv will be gathering dust as you fondle your bargain Biogon reading our comments on what a wonderful lens it is.

Then a couple of years later a newbie will come and show us what he's just bought. You'll dust off yours to show him how good it is and fall in love all over again.

+1 on that.
Joy to the world ..............
OH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:

So nice to think of it. Now i'll enjoy my viv, then i'll be looking for this Biogon (i didn't know it, this forum is dangerous to my wallet Very Happy )
Love this komine lens Very Happy, it also came with an hoya filter for free.
In this forum we seem normal, for the world we are freaks.
good light to you!