Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya RZ67 - Does anyone use the 6x6 or 645 film backs?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Mamiya RZ67 - Does anyone use the 6x6 or 645 film backs? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I have a Mamiya RZ67 Pro ii medum format film camera with 2 standard 120 6x7 film backs. I love the camera despite it's size, in particular the huge bright viewfinder. As film is now getting quite expensive getting 8 shots on a 120 roll is not that cheap.

I have 2 different 'wants' from the Mamiya RZ...

1) I much prefer 6x6 to 6x7 format. I have 6x6 film bodies such as Pentacon 6 TL, ARAX-CM & Kiev 88 but I much prefer the viewfinder of the RZ to the other cameras. I realise I can crop 6x7 photos but I prefer the original square negatives uncropped. I thought if I got a 6x6 film back I would not need my other 6x6 cameras.

2) I want to use the RZ more for wedding photography to replace my Contax 645 as I find the RZ more rewarding to use. Shooting 6x7 for wedding portraits is not that economical so I thought it would be perfect if I got a 645 back for the RZ (so I get 16 shots per roll instead of Cool. It means I can then sell my Contax 645 which I find too much like a DSLR. (It's too easy!)

So, my questions are -

i) Has anyone used 6x6 or 645 film backs on a RZ67?
ii) Do I have to mask the VF and if so how do I know what part of the finder is the square or the smaller 645 rectangle?

..I realise I will not get the full benefit of the 6x7 format using cropped film backs but I am trying to make the camera cover multiple needs. I think even smaller 645 negatives are still 100% better than 35mm negatives. I have 35mm Nikon FM and Voigtlander Bessa R3A bodies but I don't think the photos produced would be that different from my 35mm digital photos (Leica M9 + Nikon D800).