Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus E-450
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Olympus E-450 Reply with quote

Dear,

i have an olympus e-450 and I would buy a manual lens between

Tamron 300 f/5.6 bbar

Canon f/5.6 FD300

what would you recommend?

Or would you advise me to other models?

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on your budget and your needs, if f/5.6 is fine for you, I would suggest the Tokina 300mm, I own it and it's a nice and affordable lens.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the E450 is a 4/3 E-system SLR (not m4/3 mirrorless) you will need an adapter with additional lens element to get infinity focus with the Canon FD lens. Since such adapters (assuming they exist for FD to 4/3) will degrade image quality, I would not buy the Canon. I do have an FD300mm f5.6 and it is a fine lens, but I can only use it with m4/3.

Nor would I buy the Tamron. I did use the SP 300mm f5.6 Tamron with my E-system SLRs (E-3s) and found it had too much purple fringing unless stopped down to f11. It also suffers from low contrast unless the sun is behind you. It is decently sharp though. I sold mine.

The best 300mm I have tried is the Photosniper Tair-3 300mm f4.5. This is cheap and excellent. Very sharp and little to no fringing. The only downside is the weight and bulk.

As an alternative, I would suggest the Nikon 100-300mm f5.6 zoom lens, which performs very well. There is a small performance drop at 300mm, but f8 will secure excellent result. The main disadvantage of this lens is that it is a one-touch zoom with no option for a tripod collar. Thus handling is a bit awkward.

The Olympus OM Zuiko 85-250mm zoom is also very good, and has negligible performance drop at 250mm so you can use it there with confidence. It is a two-touch zoom and has a tripod collar so is much easier to use than the Nikon.

Mark