Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta X-700 issue
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Minolta X-700 issue Reply with quote

I`ve just received another X-700 and this one has a rather strange problem. The this is that, when I put in the batteries the camera dies on me. The lightmeter works great, selftimer works, however the shutter does not fire. I have no idea what might the problem be. It seems as if when the shutter button is pressed all the way a connection is lost and camera turns off. The shutter is cocked and the curtains do not move a bit. Both the battery compartment and the curtains look like new.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooh, doesnt sound good. I hope its worth fixing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a guess.......... it could be the fault of a dodgy capacitor, more common in early serial numbers. The good news, if it is this problem, is you can fix it yourself cheaply with a soldering iron.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've read about the capacitor problem as well, I think it's an easy fix under the bottom plate ?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Could be a problem with the electromagnet in the shutter assembly ?

I am thinking if it is a problem withheld capacitor the problem would have surfaced years ago... This sounds like a shutter problem which occurs with these cameras which may have been in storage a long time.

Just a thought.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did take off the bottom plate and saw that the capacitor had some fluid ( i guess the electrolite ) near it`s bottom right between the "legs". I`m almost positive that this is the issue.

I `ve also considered that it might be the magnet, however usually these magnets lats forever or die because of high current. In this case, I doubt that this camera could reach such currents that might burn it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck and I hope you can fix it.

image at :[url] http://www.twid.de/x700/#fixc[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Good luck and I hope you can fix it.

image at :[url] http://www.twid.de/x700/#fixc[/url]

Wow, mine looks several times better Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cap looks like a standard part. I have the same camera, if it plays up i know where to look now!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
The cap looks like a standard part. I have the same camera, if it plays up i know where to look now!

I can't find the link but IIRC there are two capacitors seen from the bottom, but dunno what capacitor does what in the operation of the camera. Maybe someone can confirm that my memory is still good Laughing