Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon A-1 and non FD lenses = Overexposure?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Canon A-1 and non FD lenses = Overexposure? Reply with quote

Has anybody used the Canon A-1 with non FD lenses in stopped down mode? I have tried with several ones and it seems that the meter overexposes by a half stop or even more. Have you ever used an A-1 in stopped down mode? What is your experience with it?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With M42 adapter and screw lens, my A-1 reads the same as a FD lens on a quick check on a grey pavement.......but I wouldn't guarantee it's accuracy though unless I did specific tests taking meter readings from a Kodak grey card in all lighting conditions....and don't forget are all lenses at say F5.6 are exactly ALL at f5.6 and are all your A-1 shutter speeds exactly as on the dial....so you can lose 1/2 stop easily and if you need accuracy because of using slide film it would be best to match the lens\camera\film combo for a few tests shots first.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will do so. I will get some film that I trust to use as a reference and make tests. Me too use the A-1 with an adapter for M42 lenses. It is not that I hate the FDs, but love to try the rest of my lenses on it too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zanxion72 wrote:
I will do so. I will get some film that I trust to use as a reference and make tests. Me too use the A-1 with an adapter for M42 lenses. It is not that I hate the FDs, but love to try the rest of my lenses on it too.

Well if it's neg film I wouldn't worry about 1/2 stop, as for most general shots the common camera meter averages out the exposure...and anyway with neg film just make sure you are 1/2 stop over, I usually do this by setting the ASA dial to say 160asa for 200 asa film just in case I make a manual exposure error using the light reflecting of say dark green grass\shrubs or deep blue sky which is roughly equivalent to using a Kodak grey card....of course the same light should also be on the subject as it wouldn't work e.g a lot of shadows.