Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya Sekor 1.4/55, Lens Turbo, Nex5r and a little girl
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Mamiya Sekor 1.4/55, Lens Turbo, Nex5r and a little girl Reply with quote

Three shots of my niece Nina after borrowing an m42 lens turbo from a friend:

All wide open, iso400, 1/50s.
Standard PP (crop, color, contrast) + a filter from DxO film pack - can't remember which one though.

I kinda liked the lens turbo, especially considering the price, and I find it extremely useful for video shooting, where light is never enough, and sharpness not so critical in general and particularly in the corners.
I thought the main attractive for me was the wider field of view, but after a couple of days playing with it, I found myself liking the extra speed above all - probably because performance is better with normal/tele lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovely images, the combination of the Mamiya Sekor and the lens turbo looks quite promising, can you post some more images please?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timo832000 wrote:
lovely images, the combination of the Mamiya Sekor and the lens turbo looks quite promising, can you post some more images please?

Thanks.
Sadly I can't post other pics at the moment, as the lens turbo was borrowed from a friend, and I have already given it back to him. I can check if I have some more, but I think I don't.
I liked it, I think it's worth the price, and I will probably get one in the near future.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy with my Minolta version. It widens the field a little but like you I notice the extra stop it gives more. It will be great on this F1.4 Rokkor I have coming!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely expressions. 2nd is my fav but all are very nice.

I've got no idea what "lens turbo" is. Getting on Google now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yebisu wrote:
Lovely expressions. 2nd is my fav but all are very nice.

I've got no idea what "lens turbo" is. Getting on Google now.

Thanks.
Basically it is the opposite of a teleconverter:
It gives your lens a wider fov and increases speed by 1 stop.
Main Downsides are a loss of quality under certain circumstances, especially in the corners (more so with wides at wider apertures).
It's a nice tool for portraits or non lens-stressing situations, and the extra stop comes handy.
Lens turbo is the cheap version of the speedBooster, which may be optically better (never tried one though) but it costs 5x.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some more samples from the lens turbo with the mamiya 1.4/55:

Nina again:

My 87 years old grandmother:

and fiuto, but this one was taken with lens turbo + meyer primagon 4.5/35