Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What cheap DSLR - mirrorless kit for plants / flowers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: What cheap DSLR - mirrorless kit for plants / flowers Reply with quote

Frend of mine asked she wanted to upgrade camera system. But my suggestions are at price range 700-1000 €. (any DSLR + macro lens).

Is there a cheaper alternative = under 500 €. D3200? Pen?
(I'd suggest Samsung but they are not cheap any more)

It should have macro capabilities, nice colors and maybe image stabilization?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For handle walk around macro, get one of the M4/3 with in body stabilization + M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 60mm f2.8 Macro. The newer OM models with IBIS is even better.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the cheapest alternative:

Olympus E-PM1 (99€ new from verkkokauppa.com)
Some older macro lens around 50mm+adapter.

Easily below 200€ Smile.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be dSLR? How about a mirrorless camera?

NEX-3 + Macro Lens, such as M42 Asahi S-M-C 1:4/100

@soikka: nice avatar!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entry level cameras are very well specified nowadays. Any of the following should be fine, but as always, it is recommended that the buyer tries them out first as all models have differing ergonomics:

Nikon D3200
Canon 650D
Sony a58
Pentax k500

Couple any of these with a plastic fantastic Cosina 100mm f/3.5 used macro lens and job done Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should add that the Nikon wouldn't auto focus with the Cosina. Although I would suggest macro is better performed using manual focusing anyway Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony's brand new mirrorless A3000 -- APS-C, 20mp and takes E lenses -- sells for about 400 bucks with lens. Image stabilization in the lenses. This will be a very attractive camera for folks who are ready to step up to an interchangeable lens camera. I believe this is the best deal out there right now for an ILC.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Sony's brand new mirrorless A3000 -- APS-C, 20mp and takes E lenses -- sells for about 400 bucks with lens. Image stabilization in the lenses. This will be a very attractive camera for folks who are ready to step up to an interchangeable lens camera. I believe this is the best deal out there right now for an ILC.

Forgot about this one! Looks great apart from the poor quality EVF...then again a lot of people stepping up to ILCs now use the rear LCD anyway I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be wrong, but the preview for the A3000 I read said it had a 230,000 dot LCD which was useless for focussing and isn't even sufficient for reviewing shots to check sharpness.

The choice of camera, I think, depends on what you are comfortable using. For instance, I have an EOS 450D which has a poor VF, small and dark, and the screen is almost useless for focusing, it's not matte enough. I bought a replacement cheap Chinese screen for it, and that is useless, it's the wrong thickness so focus is off, and it has scratched up so bad in the few months I've used it that I'm just going to put the original screen back in. By contrast, I just bought an old Nikon D50 to use for infrared and the vf is a lot bigger and brighter than the EOS and I can focus manual lenses with the standard screen. The Nikon also has a very useful digital rangefinder that illuminates a green led when you are in correct focus. An EOS will do that too, but only if you use a chipped adapter with manual lenses. In short, the older Nikon makes the younger Canon look like crap.

So my recommendation is try out the models you are interested in at a big store where they have them on display, then buy from a cheaper source online. Just to be sure the camera has a VF or EVF or screen you are happy with.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point on the A3000's display. Not only that, but I've just learned that the EVF is barely 200k. Well, Sony had to cut corners somewhere. My 4.5 year old Canon XS/1000D has a 230k pixel screen, which I guess I've gotten used to. I must disagree with your take on a 230k pixel screen. You most certainly can check images for sharpness. For me, it's perfectly adequate for checking to see if an image is in focus or not. So a 230k pixel screen is usuable, it just might be behind the curve a ways. I do believe though that Sony should have given the A3000 a higher rez EVF, since it isn't optical.

Your 450D is actually a slightly better model than mine, but I'm sure they share the same viewfinder and screen. I've gotten used to it. As it sits, it is very hard to use it for manual focusing, but I installed a viewfinder magnifier on mine that increases the size by a factor of 1.32. This really helps. To me, the biggest drawback to using any of these compact Canons, and that will include the more recent models, like the T1i through the T5i is, I'll bet they also use porro glass finders (= dim) and have screens that are useless for focusing lenses that are f/2.8 or faster. The screen is really the biggest issue. Only way to focus accurately is using Live View, which can sometimes be a PITA. So I wouldn't recommend any of the compact Canons for mf work. Minimum would be like a used 40D and up. I don't believe they have the same idiot finders and screens.

Yes, I am very tired of my XS - 1000D.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points Michael. Not my take on the A3000 screen, just what the previewer wrote, I'll wait and see what users report, but I think I'll pass on the A3000 and wait for a subsequent model with a higher res screen that's articulated, which I'm sure is coming.

I'm sick of my 450D too, if it had a better VF and focus screen it would be fine, but as it stands, it's a total PITA to use with manual lenses, so I end up just using my Nikkor 2.8/24 with it and guessing the distance to the subject. A 24mm lens stopped down has plenty of dof to cover up mistakes. The Chinese screen I bought for it is junk, I would take it out and shim it so focus was accurate if it wasn't for all the scratches on it and the really poor quality of the split-screen in the centre. When I saw how much bigger the mirror is in my 'new' D50 then looked through the VF I thought 'damn, Canon really are extracting the urine with their tiny, dark VF'. Just playing around, I can focus a manual lens on the D50 no problem, the screen is matte enough and it's nice and bright which makes a big difference.

There's only two reasons I keep the 450D - flash and the cable release, both of which are things my NEX doesn't do.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony looks nice.
Can someone find closest focusing (ratio) somewhere?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys trade your Canons in for a 30D. Still has a low res LCD but the viewfinder is much larger. A 30D can be had for peanuts now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Guys trade your Canons in for a 30D. Still has a low res LCD but the viewfinder is much larger. A 30D can be had for peanuts now.

What? Smile

an 8 mpix camera

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 10D, nice robust body, but the focus screen was useless for manual lenses, not matte so you couldn't tell what was in focus or not. Does the 30D have the same screen? It has the same body design I think. Probably you can replace the screen in a 30D, bu my bad experience of the Chinese replacements has put me off trying that again. Maybe the Katz-eyez ones are better?

I'm not Canon bashing, I don't care about brands, I just pick what works for me, regardless of who made it. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What cheap DSLR - mirrorless kit for plants / flowers Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Frend of mine asked she wanted to upgrade camera system. But my suggestions are at price range 700-1000 €. (any DSLR + macro lens).

Is there a cheaper alternative = under 500 €. D3200? Pen?
(I'd suggest Samsung but they are not cheap any more)

It should have macro capabilities, nice colors and maybe image stabilization?

How much magnification is needed?

NEX 3 and Flektogon 35mm is a very light and ergonomic combo for closeups. Obviously you need to like using the LCD screen to focus, but I find I can get the camera in positions and angles that would be very uncomfortable to use the viewfinder.

Go with an Exakta mount Fleks to save money.

You'll be quite close to the subject so this is better for flowers then for insects.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if your friend prefers DSLR or Mirrorless more, but I guess size is a big factor nowadays especially for the ladies. So I guess that would be one thing that your friend needs to make sure before making the decision.

If she decides mirrorless then others have already mentioned some great options to consider such as the Olympus PEN series, Sony NEX, Samsung NX series, Nikon 1s etc.

But if she prefers DSLRs then besides Nikon D3200 and Canon 100D that have already mentioned, I would also suggest the Pentax K-30 as well which is going pretty cheap now after the release of K-50 and K-500. I just bought one for roughly around $390 USD with the 18-55 WR kit at a local camera shop just because I think it's a good deal for a DSLR with optical viewfinder, SR stabilization, weather sealed, and a good kit lens to come with it. And I haven't had a DSLR for almost two years now after my D200 got dead pixels. I miss the optical viewfinder so much Smile.

General public usually prefer Canons and Nikons over Pentax, well because it's not Canon or Nikon. But reasons I chose K-30 over D3200 and 100D are, D3200 has no motor and hence cannot use pre AF-S lenses, that's big for me. But for K-30 you can use Pentax lenses as old as Pentax pre M and A K mount lenses. And it has SR that the 100D doesn't. Not to mention, it's cheaper than both of them.

So if your friend wants a camera with big and bright optical viewfinder and has no brand preferences, then the K-30 is a good choice as well. If she's a manual focus maniac than perhaps the 100D or a3000 will be better but still, both do not have stabilization when using MF lenses, the a3000 does not give you an optical viewfinder and is not weather sealed, if those matter. Might not be fair to compare K-30 with 100D and a3000, but perhaps to D5200, 650D, and a65 instead but with the price cheaper than even entry levels it's pretty much a no brainer unless you already have a DSLR or you don't need/want one.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For flowers unless you need a single daisy head to fill frame, also maybe consider P&S

Made fine images with WB500 and FZ4

Quality isn't technically up to film or DSLR, but with enough light (iso 100/80) it is usable, plus there is built-in DOF -

Well actually that can be a mixed blessing, since sometimes you want less DOF for artsy composition, and if the flower is big enough for the P&S the magnification is not large enough to cause the APS/FF camera problems like with 1:1 insects

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I had a 10D, nice robust body, but the focus screen was useless for manual lenses, not matte so you couldn't tell what was in focus or not. Does the 30D have the same screen? It has the same body design I think. Probably you can replace the screen in a 30D, bu my bad experience of the Chinese replacements has put me off trying that again. Maybe the Katz-eyez ones are better?

I'm not Canon bashing, I don't care about brands, I just pick what works for me, regardless of who made it. Smile

I can't remember what the screen was like to be honest, but presuming it is the same as all other stock DSLR screens, it won't show trues depth of field at apertures faster than f/2.8.

In terms of size:

1000D - 0.81x magnification
10D - 0.88x magnification
20D - 0.9x magnification
30D - 0.9x magnification
40D - 0.95x magnification - I think the 40D has proper changeable screens

BTW, for those bashing an 8MP camera...do you crop heavily or are you blowing up images to massive sizes? Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I can't remember what the screen was like to be honest, but presuming it is the same as all other stock DSLR screens, it won't show trues depth of field at apertures faster than f/2.8.

This issue seems to be confined to those Canon DSLRs that use penta mirrors, like my XS (1000D) and other compact Canon DSLRs, instead of genuine pentaprisms. Canon installed brighter screens in these DSLRs to counteract the light loss due to the use of penta mirrors. Unfortunately, a highly annoying side effect to these screens is they cannot display accurate focus at apetures of f/2.8 or faster. So it's a real hit-or-miss affair if one uses a fast manual focus lens with a camera that has one of these screens installed. From what I understand, the larger xxD models don't have this problem.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

General thoughts
For close focus to macro work, auto-focus is not required. In fact manual focus is better because precise choice of the focus is critical for the best artistic impact.
For accurate MF, a good view finder (in the general sense) is essential.
Consider your personal needs:
My eyesight is not very good. Even with glasses, I find it a real strain to use the rear screen of any camera in bright light. Really precise manual focusing on a standard DSLR optical VF screen is also mostly beyond me. This is why I use the Oly OM-D with its superb built in EVF.

DSLR Focusing
DSLR has optical viewfinder and manual focus accuracy depends on size and brightness of VF and quality of VF screen. Low end DSLR are usually crap (small and dim). Some DSLR's have user changeable focusing screens, so you can change for one that makes MF easier. Others are either not changeable or need to be professionally done.
DSLR live view is on rear screen only. Gives the ability to magnify the image to get accurate focus. Usability will be limited by the quality of screen. Visibility will always be impaired in bright light (but you could use a screen shade)
DLSR Liveview is a bit clunky as mirror has to move back and forth

Mirrorless Focusing
Live view is the only option. Same comments for rear screen focusing as per DSLR, though screens on mirrorless tend to be a bit better (especially compared to low-end DSLR)
Some mirrorless have built in EVF or an add-on EVF can be purchased. This gives better visibility in bright light whilst having same advantage of being able to magnify the image. For me, EVF is the best option.

Micro Four Thirds System (my system)
Pros
Smaller sensor means a lower optical magnification is needed to fill the frame. This means a standard 50mm SLR lens with decent close focus will be very good for many flower shots.
The 4:3 aspect ratio is more natural for flowers than APS-C 3:2
(I think) all Olympus PENs have the option of adding an external EVF.
Compact cameras
Use virtually any lens
Widest range of dedicated lens of any mirrorless system
All Olympus m4/3 have in body IS
Cons
Smaller sensor means depth of field (DoF) is greater for a given lens at a given aperture, which makes subject isolation (shallow DoF) harder. However, in close focus/macro work, DoF is usually too small wide open and so this is a non-issue. In fact, it can be considered an advantage as it allows the lens to be used at bigger aperture whilst giving the required DoF, giving faster shutter speed and so reducing blur due to camera shake or movement of the flower.
Smaller sensor means smaller photo-sites for same total MP. This means lower dynamic range and worse noise performance at high ISO. However latest Olympus m4/3 are as good as Sony NEX (they share the same sensor technology). Also, high ISO performance is not relevant in this context (unlikely to use above ISO400). Lower dynamic range for the older m4/3 is an issue. It means extra care must be taken to avoid blowing highlights. This is not a major problem IMHO.
All but the latest have too slow a maximum shutter speed for shooting wide open with a fast lens shooting in bright light. You need to add a neutral density filter, which is a bit of a nuisance.

Other mirrorless systems
I cannot make specific comments. The important points to check are:
Live view magnification for precise focusing: optimum is about 5x
Max shutter speed and min ISO. Aim for ISO100 with 1/4000s (or ISO200 with 1/8000s) if you want to avoid using a ND filter in bright light with a lens at f2.
Option to add external EVF if the camera doesn't have one (and quality of add-on EVF)

DSLR
Modern low-end DSLR have poor optical VFs. Accurate MF may not be possible.
Consider an old DSLR. I have a Canon 40D and it is has a very good optical VF. The focus screen is also user changeable. I have never used it for flower work, but see no reason why it wouldn't work very well.
The 40D is 'only' 10MP. So what? 10MP is more than enough to print A4. People are obsessed by MP. There are many other factors that will outweigh MP in making a good picture (not least the person behind the camera).

Sony SLT system
I cannot make comments on this approach having no personal experience. I think comments for mirrorless are relevant

MF lenses
Pretty much any SLR 50mm lens will work well if they focus close. I like my Rollei Planar 50mm f1.8 and Konica Hexanon 50mm f1.4. The caveat is that all fast SLR lenses will "glow" wide open on digital and are best used one stop down.
For higher optical magnification, I find my Nikon Micro-Nikkor 50mm f2.8 to be superb. Sharp wide open and smooth bokeh even when stopped down.

Other thoughts
Where are you taking the pictures? In your garden or whilst out walking? In my garden, I can control the environment. I can shade the flowers if the light is too harsh. I can support the flowers if the wind is moving them. I can use a tripod and take the same shot at different apertures so I can pick the best. You can work with just a camera and lens, but i find I the ability control the environment adds an extra dimension. So, you may want to budget for tripods, umbrellas, stands etc.
Movement of the subject is probably the biggest problem with close focus and macro work. Even the slightest breeze will move a flower out of the frame or out of the depth of field. Technique will be as important as the camera you use.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

This issue seems to be confined to those Canon DSLRs that use penta mirrors, like my XS (1000D) and other compact Canon DSLRs, instead of genuine pentaprisms. Canon installed brighter screens in these DSLRs to counteract the light loss due to the use of penta mirrors. Unfortunately, a highly annoying side effect to these screens is they cannot display accurate focus at apetures of f/2.8 or faster. So it's a real hit-or-miss affair if one uses a fast manual focus lens with a camera that has one of these screens installed. From what I understand, the larger xxD models don't have this problem.

The reason (some) of the higher end Canon cameras have changeable viewfinder screens is because modern screens are no good for true focus confirmation at speeds faster than f/2.8. My 5D and 6D give completely different views of at f/1.4 with matte screens...you can see far more bokeh, giving you a better idea of what is really in focus. This is no different for a 1000D, 40D or 5D except that you can't change the screen on a 1000D. The same is true of other brands as far as I am aware. So changing to a more upmarket model will not help unless you change the screen. Where the more expensive models do excel is viewfinder size, which helps a lot when focusing at f/2.8 and slower.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I can agree about the K10D screen not being any good for focusing - at least, not with longer focal lengths like 90mm upwards. The problem I've had recently is that even when the image is sharp on the screen, the resulting picture isn't sharp where it should be. I suspect it's a problem with my camera, because it wan't always like that. The difficulty began the first time I replaced the screen after cleaning it, when the error was suddeny plain to see. Then I had problems actually getting the screen back in (described in an earlier post) and now the screen is back in and - in theory - seated properly, I still get a small error. But the AF works perfectly.

I can actually hit the focus dead right most of the time with my K100D which, like Ian's Canon, has a penta-mirror/'porro-prism'set up and a 0.85x v/f. Well, I can with long lenses, not short ones.

Biased or not, i still think the Pentaxes are hard to beat for reasonably priced DSLRs.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Panasonix GH1 / GH2, so look at my work to see the results using various lenses - I guess they speak for themselves: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/ Small, light, adapts about any lens, very good colors, sufficient resolution, easy to use intuitively, full tilt/swing lifeview LCD screen (is very important for my work). No in body stabilization, that's a miss and no focus peak (I'm pretty good without though).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get sony alfas with a:

moving mirror,
14MP,
in-body stabilizer
and live view

for 150 euros on ebay

the adapters for m42 are as cheap as for any other cameras