Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Aperture re-scaling
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Aperture re-scaling Reply with quote

Hi folks

I just put a Schneider G-Claron 9/150 in a Compur 0 shutter than formerly held a 4.5/105 Kodak Anastigmat.

Obviously, I need to work out the aperture values for this lens. What I'm wondering though, if the maximum opening is labelled 4.5, can't I just double the values and that will be close enough? Or do I need to do some calculation and create a whole new scale?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most accurate thing what you can do if use two digital camera one with normal lens , second with one of these and look each aperture on same light source and mark it with removable ink first and you able to decide what is next.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to do a new scale AFAIK, if you are going to be accurate about it.
There is the question of where wide-open begins, among other things.
Do you have the old aperture mechanism ? It looks like an old barrel lens you have there, if it had an aperture mechanism you're golden.
Thats a place to start. You can crib your scale from that.
Match the hole size that corresponded to f/9, f/11, etc. on the old scale on the new shutter aperture.
I.e., if f/9 on the old aperture gives a 16.5mm diameter hole, then you move the aperture on the shutter to give a 16.5mm diameter hole, and mark that as f/9
And so down the scale.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I still have the barrel, that sounds pretty easy, cheers.