Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

3D Stereo - normal vs hyper stereo
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: 3D Stereo - normal vs hyper stereo Reply with quote

Was just experimenting with handheld (cross eye) stereo images and the influence of base line.
38mm lens was used at f5.6 on Panasonic GH1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereoscopy#Longer_base_line_for_distant_objects_.22Hyper_Stereo.22

(click on images to see larger ones)

normal stereo base (approx 60mm)

hyper stereo base (approx 300mm)

Last edited by kds315* on Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you supposed to view the images? Not cross-eyed, really? I did try going cross-eyed briefly and couldn't detect any sort of stereo image -- besides it wasn't very comfortable. But maybe I'm not doing it right?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but it works flawlessly for me, especially at that small size. The larger ones are a bit harder to fuse, admittedly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Sorry, but it works flawlessly for me, especially at that small size. The larger ones are a bit harder to fuse, admittedly.

By going cross-eyed, this is how you're seeing 3D? I can't get it to work. My eyes won't cross far enough and they wont stay that way for any length of time.

Is this at all similar to the technology used with the hand-held viewers that were popular around the turn of the 20th century? I don't know why it is, but they don't work on me. All I see is two images when I look through one of the viewers. Kinda disappointing, really. But the old Viewmasters work.

Last edited by cooltouch on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the only method that really works for me without effort (ands w/o any artificial help)

Does this one work for you Michael?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, same thing: I can't hold my eyes crossed before they start reverting, even when I'm really trying to keep them crossed and I can't cross them far enough for any stable center image to form.

I started trying to see if I could relax them slightly crossed and it seems I'm getting somewhere with that. Like when you sort of defocus and stare off into nothingness? I'll have to work on this some more. I'm not used to doing this.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move away from the screen so the image gets smaller. Hold a finger in front of your nose and look over that to the image but focus at the finger until the images start to fuse in the middle, then try to focus a sharp image...but relax and use no force!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereoscopy#Freeviewing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, I'm getting some 3D, especially from the berries photo. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good! It takes a while to learn, but once used to it, it's automatic...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Move away from the screen so the image gets smaller. Hold a finger in front of your nose and look over that to the image but focus at the finger until the images start to fuse in the middle, then try to focus a sharp image...but relax and use no force!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereoscopy#Freeviewing

I've tried both methods mentioned in the above wikipedia link. I seem to be getting better results with the first method. But just when I think I'm beginning to see something, I realize I'm seeing four clumps of berries instead of two, and none of the clumps looks three-D. Shocked But if I'm seeing four clumps, it must mean I'm growing somewhat cross-eyed, I suppose.

I think for me personally it might have something to do with eye dominance. I am strongly right-eye dominant, to the point where if I put a camera up to my left eye, it takes a while before I see anything besides the back of the camera with my right eye. Can eye dominance have an effect, negative or otherwise?

Well, at any rate, in defense of my ability to see 3D, this new style of 3D that has been out for a few years now, with those special glasses, I see 3D great. Much better than with the blue/red glasses and the older style of 3D tech.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my left eye is dominant, but not as much as you describe that. That doesn't stop me from seeing 3D.
Maybe those freeviewing methods are just not good for you...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Well, my left eye is dominant, but not as much as you describe that. That doesn't stop me from seeing 3D.
Maybe those freeviewing methods are just not good for you...

I dunno, I suppose not. And neither are the old style viewers from the turn of the 20th century, as I mentioned above. I just see two images when I look through those things.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If not even those viewers do it, then I guess stereo viewing is not for you unfortunately Crying or Very sad