Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ricoh FF-1, Vista 200 - Random shots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Ricoh FF-1, Vista 200 - Random shots Reply with quote

I find it rather frustrating that I can't really control the shutter speed (or aperture), but the camera does give some good results. Usual minor light/shadow adjustments.

1 The Star of the Show

Ricoh FF-1 by skida, on Flickr

2 Dismal day, probably a little camera shake

Warkworth Castle North Elevation by skida, on Flickr

The Road to Cambois by skida, on Flickr

Rocky Valley by skida, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has the usual Ricoh lens look, very sharp seeming... and a nice looking camera too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too shabby. Sometimes I like to let the camera do its own thing. It allows me to get on with the job. Its better than sunny 16 calculation.

Manual focus can be a bind at time. Why are MF lens photos blurred yet those focused using guesstimation like this and my '57 collection are sharp?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great success, just like friend of mine Wilhelm , he always got better success with cheap 'crap' cameras than with $$ gears Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me. I have the Ricoh FF-9 and that is very good too, this FF-1 probably has the same lens.

My top 3 compacts (excluding anything expensive)

Konica A4
Ricoh FF-9
Ricoh AF-80

Keep an eye out for the Ricoh AF-80, it's a truly wonderful camera, it has a 30mm lens that's as good as anything around that focal length I've ever used, SLR or otherwise, it has both auto and manual focus and a macro mode too. I paid 99p for mine from ebay, one of the biggest bargains I ever bought.

http://forum.mflenses.com/vintage-cars-ricoh-af-80-fujicolor-800-t52799.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a good lens......another sharp lens is on the minolta A5, but it's 45mm f2.8 and it's a very heavy camera.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Not too shabby. Sometimes I like to let the camera do its own thing. It allows me to get on with the job. Its better than sunny 16 calculation.

Manual focus can be a bind at time. Why are MF lens photos blurred yet those focused using guesstimation like this and my '57 collection are sharp?

I agree mainly, but because I don't know what is going on with aperture and shutter, I will probably only ever use this in good light from now on.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments folks, it makes it fun to use unfamiliar stuff now and then.

Thanks for the info Ian. I think I have decided that my favourite era for 35mm compact/RF cameras is late 50s/early 60s, though I do have a hankering for an early Trip 35.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the older ones too, particularly the Voigtlanders, one day I'll grab one. My favourite of the ones I have is the Konica C35, but I think that might be from the early 70s.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
. . .
I agree mainly, but because I don't know what is going on with aperture and shutter, I will probably only ever use this in good light from now on.

Most of the time these little programmed cameras do pretty much what we do ourselves with our 'proper' cameras - when the light level drops, they open up the aperture first and then reduce the shutter speed until their limits are reached. On a bright day the lens will work around f8 to f11, which is fine for 'notebook pictures' (but not too good for artistic creativity Very Happy ).

On the other hand, most of them actually do quite a good job in low lighting, particularly if they're loaded with ISO400 film. Provided we get the distance setting right !

I think the FF-1 is actually a nicer camera than its highly regarded contemporary, the Minox 35 . . .

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
On a bright day the lens will work around f8 to f11, which is fine for 'notebook pictures' (but not too good for artistic creativity Very Happy ).

I think the photo above of the castle is probably wide open at 1/60th or even 1/30th. It was cold and the camera is quite light, so quite easy to shake.

Most of my shots are at small apertures as I favour landscapes and buildings. When attempting close ups I also favour small apertures as I prefer to see all of a flower rather than a small part of a flower in focus - just my tastes I suppose.

I think this camera is good for the type of shots I take, in good light, but I much prefer the Balda RF, and the latest Retinette I have acquired shows promise.