Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soviet Mir-26B + Nikon D800 in the studio: Model Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Soviet Mir-26B + Nikon D800 in the studio: Model Photography Reply with quote

Here is a sample using a Soviet Mir 26B 45mm f3.5 with my Nikon D800 in the studio yesterday with model Gina for a fashion shoot. The lens is super sharp stopped down a little - note the near side eye detail. I usually use the Nikon D800 in B&W JPEG mode so used the yellow-green 82mm filter the lens is supplied with. Lens was orginally bought for a Pentacon Six TL 6X6 medium format film camera that I now have for sale as have 3 other similar cameras.

D800 Fashion Photography by MatthewOsbornePhotography_, on Flickr

I have various lenses so like to rotate them during my model photography shoots to keep life interesting. Each brings it's own special character to the final images. I was also using a CZJ Sonnar 180mm f2.8 (Carl Zeiss Jena). I'll post a sample when get chance.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised

I tried one mine but I found it soft and useless on digital APSC , I found Mir-36 and Volna-3 sharper and more useful especially for tilt shifting.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Mir & Volna Lenses Reply with quote

Ema90 wrote:
Surprised

I tried one mine but I found it soft and useless on digital APSC , I found Mir-36 and Volna-3 sharper and more useful especially for tilt shifting.

Hi, Yes I think Russian lenses can vary widely in quality. I have a Mir 65mm which is fantastic, a Volna 120mm, an ARAX 80mm .. I like all of them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am impressed with the sharpness shown in your image Matthew.
I am also a little surprised by the shallow DOF, as you indicated that you stopped down some for this image.
Beautiful result regardless.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful shot, really,

Renato

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
I am also a little surprised by the shallow DOF, as you indicated that you stopped down some for this image.
OH

Surely a bit of "post production" work there? or lens tilting?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Shallow DOF Reply with quote

Basilisk wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
OH

Surely a bit of "post production" work there? or lens tilting?

Correct, lens tilting Wink

Most of my work on Flickr (90%+) is from the camera in terms of detail. I may sort out contrast, sharpness, brightness etc but the detail is usually as I take it unless cloning out the odd pimple! Smile Luckily Gina has good skin! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon May 09, 2016 5:49 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine work!