Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto Soligor 50mm f/1.8 - further testing - any good?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Auto Soligor 50mm f/1.8 - further testing - any good? Reply with quote

How on Earth did togs get by in the olden days, shooting with cheapo 50mm kit lenses?

Let's have another look at what the Soligor 50/1.8 can do in low light at very high ISO...up to ISO 8000 on the Olympus photo (something not really possible back then) (note: first test of this lens was here - http://forum.mflenses.com/auto-soligor-50mm-f-1-8-t47716,highlight,%2Bsoligor+%2B50mm.html)

Wide open

f/2.8

Wide open - 100%

f/2.8 - 100%

Wide open

f/2.8

Wide open - 100%

f/2.8 - 100%

Wide open

f/2.8

Wide open - 100%

f/2.8 - 100%

So...is this lens usable for real photos? Did togs really get decent shots with such cheapo, basic lenses?!

#1 - wide open

#2 - wide open

Of course they did! Plus, I bet they used studios, stopped down and shot on a tripod Wink

I really like this lens, it has lovely bokeh although the highlights are distracting when stopped down. Does anyone know if there was a preset version? Guess it would be in Miranda mount, wheras this auto lens is M42. Thank you for stopping by Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet you could buy a top brand lens for the same price as the Soligor, but the Soligor would be two stops faster. The pictures on both topics are excellent, it's a good lens. I've got the 28 f2 and that's another great Soligor.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Miranda 1.9/50 auto and the early 1.9/50 preset, which was made by Kowa. Both very good, but show me a 50 that isn't? Smile

Soligor owned Miranda, hence I mention them. I kept the 1.4/50 Miranda as it's 8 elements and very good indeed.