Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD 300/2.8 SSC Fluorite infinity adjustment?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Canon FD 300/2.8 SSC Fluorite infinity adjustment? Reply with quote

I got a hold of a cheap Canon FD SSC 300/2.8 breech-lock lens that looks exactly like this:
http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/poc/130723/922r1/1871g5k_27.jpeg

Using a 0.5mm EdMika FD-EOS adapter I can focus to about 15-20m or so. Good for portraits, rendering is nothing short of spectacular. But it would be even more spectacular if I could get infinity focus or at least far enough to do some full-body shots and sports shots which is where I think this focal length excels. Does anyone know how to infinity-adjust this lens? It doesn't have an infinity adjustment panel like the 300/2.8L or other L teles do, and I tried taking apart the back mount but didn't see an obvious adjustment there either.

Last edited by wuxiekeji on Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:35 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would contact Ed, the adapter's maker and ask him, I bet he's done it a few times.
My guess is under the rubber grip, my SSC 300/5.6 has a ring between the focus ring and aperture ring that has grub screws that lets you move it to expose the adjustment.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same one. Let me know if Ed can realize it. For what I know is not still available.

thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

malsano wrote:
I have the same one. Let me know if Ed can realize it. For what I know is not still available.

I already asked Ed, he said a mount swap kit is on his list of things to do but I imagine this means it might take a while.

It should be relatively easy to design a mount swap kit for this lens. Here's a picture of what the EdMika adapter's installed position looks like with the breech lock ring taken off (so it's not secured this way, but this is to give you an idea of the distance of the EdMika adapter):

As you can see, if we leave the breech ring off, there's about 2 mm of distance that could be made up if the entire FD mount part is taken off (see small red circle above) and the EOS mount is made to be flush with the FD mount. Of course, then we wonder if we take off the FD mount from the adapter, how we secure the EOS mount onto the lens. That's easy: use the thread that the breech lock ring uses (see large red circle above)! Such a custom mount could be made much like an M42 adapter. It would be extremely secure and I'm pretty positive it would get infinity focus.

There are also these 3 screws that could potentially be used ("Leitax style"), but I imagine the solution I described above ("M42 style") would be much easier to produce, as using the screws would probably require a thicker adapter to hold the screws in place.

Here's an image of a Fotodiox Contax-EOS adapter with the silver part taken off. As you can see the EOS mount can fit nicely around the cylinder part of the FD mount, so that's not an issue either. It may be required to cut the aperture tab of the FD mount short for full-frame EOS cameras, but that's not an issue for me if I have to do it since I don't plan to shoot FD anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search for an FD service manual?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Search for an FD service manual?

Any tips on where I could find one? I can't seem to find them by googling, at least not for this lens.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 6 hours of trial-and-error and CNC milling with a really nice guy from my school's machine shop, I have an adapter that beat's EdMika's. Minor destructive modifications are needed though, namely filing down the aperture tab and a small circular protrusion. We machined a (left-threaded) adapter to fit over the same thread that the breech-lock ring uses, and machined it out of a T2-EOS adapter so I have the EOS mount on one side with plenty of stock on the other.

Still no infinity focus, but got 200m now which is good enough for everything that this lens does well.