Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Not the V-Nex System ....... Enlarger Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Not the V-Nex System ....... Enlarger Lenses Reply with quote

OK, Just to be clear from the start.
I don't own an NEX or other mirrorless camera.
I am interested in experimenting with enlarger lens(es) on my existing cameras - Nikon D300 and/or Pentax K-10D.
Has anyone done this successfully?
I know it would be easy to add an enlarger lens to a set of bellows or extension tubes for macro work, and maybe with the cameras involved it will only be possible to use an enlarger lens for close focus images anyway.
But ........ is there any other alternative.
I have a suitable enlarger lens - the Vega-11Y 50mm f/2.8 Enlarger Lens.
Your thoughts are appreciated.
OH

The lens:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some macro shooting with enlarger lenses, just mounted them on old fashioned M42 macro tubes. You'll have to move yourself to get focus right, but i enjoyed it a lot!

PZO Mikar Lens by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can use extension rings, bellow or anything else tube even made from card board + tape and focus by feets, longer focal length enlarger lenses give more space to mount them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vega 11U is very hard to adapt if you want to reach infinity, because of his not usual flange focal distance (at least, the one I own).

If you mount it on L39 adapter, it's too close, but if you mount it on helicoid M42 on flat M42 adapter, you can do only close focus. So, you'll need to find helicoid thinner than this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/M42-to-M42-Mount-Focusing-Helicoid-Ring-Adapter-17-31mm-Macro-Extension-Tube-/200907639839?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item2ec7074c1f .

If you use it on SLR camera, this will be only for macro.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use sometimes enlarger lenses on extension tubes, bellows and 2x macro teleconverter as cheap focus helicoid.
These 2x macro teleconverter (not Panagor type) have a helicid, and after disassembling the tele-converter lenssystem they are good for many lenses, I use those with cine projector lenses, enlarger lenses,...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Not the V-Nex System ....... Enlarger Lenses Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
OK, Just to be clear from the start.
I don't own an NEX or other mirrorless camera.
I am interested in experimenting with enlarger lens(es) on my existing cameras - Nikon D300 and/or Pentax K-10D.
Has anyone done this successfully?
I know it would be easy to add an enlarger lens to a set of bellows or extension tubes for macro work, and maybe with the cameras involved it will only be possible to use an enlarger lens for close focus images anyway.
But ........ is there any other alternative....

Yes, the VSON.... its the son of VNEX Very Happy

Enlarger lenses greater 75mm works as normal lenses... 50mm Enlarger lenses works only in macro mode.. with all kind of tubes like in the VNEX, Extension rings for Sony Alpha ....

Its the VNEX INLAY remounted into a T2 to Sony A - Mount... the same way you can do that on Canon...

Also Nikon works (with small limitations)...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a M42 to Nikon adapter, an M42 helical. You can put an enlarger lens via m39-M42 adapter on the helical. and the helical on the Nikon I dont know if you will get infinity focus because each enlarger lens is different. But its worth a try. Probably will be best with 75mm or longer lenses

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here on end of this posting is a short listing for some enlarger lens register distance from development the VNEX...

in 3. column you can find the exact registerdistance from the lens contact surface to sensor...

This means, on DSLR cams with a average register distance about 45mm, you can use only lenses from the list, which have a registerdistance greater then your cam contact surface to the sensor distance + helicoid.

That shows, that mostly on SLR or DSLR cams only V-Lenses with greater focal lenght of 75mm are usable for work to infinity.

For example.. in the list you will find a "Schneider Ysaron 4.5/75mm" with a register distance of 68.80mm..

This means, it will work on DSLR cams like Sony Alpha with 45.5mm and you have 68.80 mm - 45.5mm = 23.8mm for your tubes or helicoid-solution.

Depending on mechanical construction of lens body, this may vary a bit, and if you study the list, you will see, that not all Enlarger lenses with 50mm do have the same register distance.

Here is a link to the list (i have to complete the list in the future with lots of new lenses)...

http://www.digicamclub.de/showthread.php?t=16361&p=177370&viewfull=1#post177370

Regards
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your replies and advice.
Special thanks to Henry for the explanation and the link.
Regards
OH