Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Evil pentaprism
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Evil pentaprism Reply with quote

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: see no evil in pentaprism Reply with quote

I've got a pentaprism for my C220 Mamiya and although it makes a substantial increase in camera weight, it beats using the eye-level viewfinder, because it keeps tabs on focus and any of the lens configurations. Parallax too, is exactly the same whether using the pentaprism or viewing screen, so you can use the same technique. So, I see no evil, I do however, see two lovely Rollei TLR's.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are a lovely pair.
1950's-early 1960's f/3.5 versions it looks like, but what is that switch on the top left ?
A meter switch ?

I have an older one, maybe 1948, that was adapted for Heiland flashgun use.
I don't think mine could take a prism, but I would certainly like one !

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it isn't a meter switch as only the l/h Rollei has a meter. The r/h has the same fittings that take a meter but wears a blanking plate instead, the meter itself was housed in the focusing knob centre, you can see it protruding into view on the l/h model. Beautifully engineered so as it can be viewed from above, even while focusing. The reason it was NOT included into the viewfinder, is thought that it might intrude too much into the viewers vision when composing the frame? But I cannot think what that switch was for, maybe the viewfinder lens had an iris that was used for DOF preview? My Mamiya has such a lens in it's kit, 105mm I think. Someone'll tell us maybe?
They certainly are worthy kit and I hope they have a good diet of frequent silver halide.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That switch looks like it has a "V" right under it. Dunno about Rollei, but I have a Kodak Retina IIc that has a combo MXV switch, M-X for flash and cock it to "V" for the self-timer.

The one on the left, since it has a meter, is an E or later. If you want to know exactly what you have, and when it was made, visit this site for info based on serial numbers:

http://www.rolleiclub.com/cameras/tlr/info/serial_numbers.shtml

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch, you are quite right chap, it is the self timer setting lever. the flash sync setting is at the flash connector socket (http://www.butkus.org/chinon/rollei/rolleiflex_35-28/rolleiflex_35-28.pdf)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will see the V on almost all german cameras. It comes from "Vorlauf", meaning something like "forerun" and that is exactly what it does, you got the idea, even if my translation is not the most accurate.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: MXV Reply with quote

MXV switches were indeed fitted to many makes of German cameras, my Wera included. Not the best arangement, as when you use the self timer and flash, you cannot adjust the flash sync in most cases. I have no idea what the default sync is on my Wera in those circumstances. Academic, as I am unlikely to use it again (yes, it is a shame I suppose!).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexa just listed this beauty: Click here to see on Ebay.de

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: franchise david Reply with quote

Not the best arangement, as when you use the self timer and flash, you cannot adjust the flash sync in most cases. I have no idea what the default sync is on my Wera in those circumstances. Academic, as I am unlikely to use it again

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Default synch is ' X '. Just in case you do ever need to use flash Very Happy