Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rebel 2000, Fuji X-tra 400
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Rebel 2000, Fuji X-tra 400 Reply with quote

Not really liking this film, took a couple pics indoors of the wife... came out orange.

Outside was good, but the processing isn't the best (CVS)
Anyone else have experience with this film?

Sorry nothing was taken with either of my manual lenses...
Correction: The climber was with the 135 2.8
I want to get some better film when these rolls run out. Also going to look for a better lab. (Don't suggest developing myself, don't have time or space)

Last edited by alm001 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well your shots look sharp and it's just the colours are off on some shots, so would say they are not all good scans.

What was the colour of the rock with the climber?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Well your shots look sharp and it's just the colours are off on some shots, so would say they are not all good scans.

What was the colour of the rock with the climber?

Same rock, same film, but with my 17-40

So it is a litte greener, but I may have messed with it to correct his skin tone.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well from your results would say Fuji 400 is a good film (although I have used it a few times in the past but can't remember what I thought of it Rolling Eyes ) But Know Fuji superia 100 asa and Fuji Reala and Fuji superia 200 asa and Fuji 800 asa press and Fuji 1600 asa are very good, so by logic the 400 asa should be very good also, as why would Fuji make a crap film out of their line of products.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I was quick to say I didn't like it - because of the two shots that came out funny... I am happy with the results of the rest of the rolls, but I do think the processing could be better.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a Costco nearby? If the location still processes film, you might want to give them a try. Costco has always done a very good job in processing my negatives and prints.

As for this Fuji X-tra 400 film, is it expired? I ask because the only ISO 400 film that Fuji produces anymore for "amateur" use is their Superia 400. They still produce a pro-quality emulsion: Fujicolor Pro 400H, but yours is likely not that.

So anyway the closest you can get to that X-tra 400 now is Superia. And I've used that stuff. Still have a couple rolls of it laying around here somewhere. I really, really don't like it. When I used it, the grain got all clumped up which drastically reduced its resolution capabilities, resulting in muddy detail. Just a very uninspiring film to use. Now, I will admit that I have not used it in bright sun conditions, which is where it's likely to perform best. So if it does perform well in bright sun, then my caviat would be that you should use it only in bright sun conditions for best results. Shooting at an ISO lower than box speed -- say about ISO 320 -- might also improve your results, demonstrating a finer grain and more saturated colors.

Your photos seem to indicate that you were not shooting in bright sun conditions, either. Which might account for your less than satisfactory results.

Last edited by cooltouch on Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the superia. It was an impulse buy on Amazon, basically free when it brought me about the free shipping threshold.

Just one roll left at this point. I may buy some more b&w rolls.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more shots taken with this setup. I think I'll order some Ilford 100 next.

I'm not sure if this was after the suggestion to change the iso to 320...